Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Onboarding QR code issue Essential camera

Discussion stats
CLM1989
Aspirant
Aspirant

Camera connected to my Wi-Fi but does not get added as a device in the Arlo app. Help please

65 REPLIES 65
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@gruck1984 wrote:

The device chimes when scans QR code but then never detects a camera at the next step, blue light stops flashing after 10 minutes. Anyone have any further things to try before i send it back for a refund?

Try holding down sync on the camera until if flashes amber.  That does a factory reset on the camera. Then try onboarding again.

gruck1984
Aspirant
Aspirant
Already tried 😞
GS438
Aspirant
Aspirant

I accidentally deleted my Pro 4 from my wifi and now I can't add it as a new device. I get through the process until the camera tries to connect to the wifi and it never connects but times out.  I have re-booted my router and turned off my devices and tried to add my camera again but it still doesn't get past connecting to my wifi.  The camera is never found. Any ideas on how to resolve this?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Are you still experiencing this issue?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@GS438 wrote:

The camera is never found. Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Are you getting a chime after the QR code scan?

If you are trying to onboard again in the app, then I suggest switching to a PC (browse to my.arlo.com), and see if that works better.  Ideally the PC should be connected to the network with ethernet.  Disabling 5 ghz wifi on the router temporarily is another thing you can try (if your router lets you do that).

You might as well also do a factory reset of the camera - hold down on the sync button for about 15 seconds (releasing it immediately when you see the LED start to flash amber).

GS438
Aspirant
Aspirant

I get the chime and I have tried to connect the camera on my laptop too.  Whether I try to add my camera back via my phone or laptop it always times out before the camera is found.  I also have done a factory reset and disabled my 5G.  It's like everything goes to never-never land when I try to discover the camera.  Also I moved my router to within 15 inches of the camera and phone or laptop.

arlokamera1
Aspirant
Aspirant

After talking to customer support on the phone today I gave up. I could never get it to work and returned the cameras. Don't know if the other people in this thread ever got it to work? 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

What router (or mesh system) do you have?

GS438
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have an Arris router supplied by my ISP company.  My camera only works on 2.4G and my phone is set to 2.4 and I even set my laptop to 2.4 and it still didn't work.  The camera was connected but I thought the name of the connection was silly so I deleted it and did a factory reset and it times out when I try to add it as a new device.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@GS438 wrote:

The camera was connected but I thought the name of the connection was silly so I deleted it.

Do you mean the name of the camera?  Or the name of the wifi network???

FWIW, the camera name can be changed in the app or via my.arlo.com (w/o deleting it from the account).

@GS438 wrote:

I have an Arris router supplied by my ISP company.  

Good to know - there are some routers that have settings that can get in the way.  I don't think that's likely your situation - but if you are using a guest network provided by the router, I suggest that instead use your main network.  Guest networks often do have settings that block onboarding.

Can you connect the laptop to the Arris with ethernet?  That sometimes works out better. 

GS438
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can't connect via ethernet.  I don't have the proper connector on my laptop to support an ethernet cable.  My network isn't a guest, I have 2.4G and 5G connections on the router.  I shut down the 5G and still could not get the camera to connect on the 2.4.  I'm thinking of scraping the Arlo camera or buying my own router.

NewWheels
Tutor
Tutor

I purchased two Pro 4s, a doorbell cam, a three pack of essential spotlights, an essential indoor, and an essential spotlight XL.  Everything connected and showed up in the app except one of the essential spotlights (from the 3-pack) and the XL.  These last two don't connect.  I'm using the same setup for the connections - 2.4 Ghz network, within 2 feet of the router, rebooting and restarting things, factory resetting things, etc.  I'm going to try using the website to do it rather than the app - hoping that works.  

When i press the sync button, scan the QR, get the chime, I can see the camera connect to the network (I see the MAC address appear on the network, alongside the MAC address for the phone), and the blue lights blink about 17 times, then the blue light blinking stops, but the MAC is still registered on the network.  The app keeps spinning and looking for it.  I'd expect the blue lights to blink more than 17 times after it appears on the network.

The XL does the same now, however, at one point, i did get it connected and it showed up in the app, but the video just gave a grey screen. I couldn't get it to display any video other than the grey - like there was s shutter or something that didn't open.  I did the Remove function on the app and did a factory reset, but can't seem to get it reconnected now.  I'm ensuring cameras are fully charged each day when i try this.  I've also tried connecting through the hotspot in my car, i've tried using different phones and tablets with the app - but without any luck.

I'll let you know if it works when using the website instead of the app

NewWheels
Tutor
Tutor

Success!  I got the XL cam connected using the website instead of the app.

Unfortunately, no luck getting the third Essential Spotlight connected using the same process.  I've renamed the wifi network to start fresh, I see the MAC connection, but no detection.  I'll continue to try later.

NewWheels
Tutor
Tutor

Tried again, and then again but reversing the laptops that are providing the hotspot and the web console.  New SSID. I can see the MAC address of the camera as it joins the network.  The blue light stops blinking about 15-18 blinks after it joins the network. I also tried doing both types of resets on the camera (15 second push and 45 second push) to no avail.

Any other thoughts?  Since i got the XL to connect tonight using this process, it leads me to believe my network is all OK, but either something is getting cached in the network (doubtful, as I created a new wifi network), or is not getting cleared on the camera, or the negotiation is busted somewhere.

ZFuentes
Aspirant
Aspirant

During set up I see my cameras have connected to the network after I hear the chime. However my iPhone app cannot detect them. Also tried the browser myarlo set up and something keeps happening. Cameras are currently connected to the network but app and computer cannot find them. All are connected to the same 2.4 network. Please help!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you tried the reset procedure? Hold the sync button for >15 seconds until the  LED starts flashing amber. Let it reboot and try again.

ZFuentes
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes. I have reset all of them multiple times. Thanks
ZFuentes
Aspirant
Aspirant
I reset the camera and the blue led blinks. I scan the QR code with the camera and it chimes. It then shows up on my modem as being connected. Once that happens the blue LED stops blinking and my iPhone says cannot find cameras.

So the cameras are connecting to the modem but the app is not able to find them.
wednesadam
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

I purchased the box set of 3 Arlo Essential Spotlight Cameras Wire-Free (VMC2330-100NAS).

I have a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Wifi Cable Modem Router C700v2.

I have successfully synced a different set of cameras in the past for my parents, but I am somehow having difficulty doing so at my home for my cameras.

After several unsuccessful attempts to onboard the cameras to the mobile app via the 2.4 wifi. I tried to do so via the my.arlo browser.

What I have noticed is that all of the cameras will detect a chime and appear to actually connect to my wifi (I can see them listed as attached devices on my wifi in netgear genie) but the app will fail to detect the devices.

I have also tried to connect my macbook directly to the router with the ethernet cord and tried to see if the my.arlo app would discover the cameras that way, but they are still only listed as attached devices and the browser times out.

I've reset the router. I've made sure that I am selecting the correct camera and model in the app. All of the cameras are fully charged. I've also done a manufacturer default reset. 

I've returned one box of cameras because I thought that maybe they were defective, but I am having the same issue with this new box of cameras.

Any help would be appreciated to troubleshoot this.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Are you sure you're choosing the Essential Spotlight cameras when starting the setup process instead of just the plain Essential cameras (which don't have a spotlight)?

Nem01
Aspirant
Aspirant

I recently purchased the 4 Arlo 4 camera set, I've had no trouble connecting the first 3 but one camera will scan the QR code and the chime will sound but shortly after the blue light turns off and the camera fails to detect. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
JakoBrix
Initiate
Initiate

I have the exact same issue here. Using an Android Phone. 

Seems like a hardware bug on the 3 pack Essential cameras.

Did anybody find a solution? 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Did you try rebooting the router as well as the camera reset procedure?

JakoBrix
Initiate
Initiate
I just spend 40 minutes on the phone with Arlo Support, and we went through everything. Including resetting the router + the camera. And little did it help. The support gave up, and now I need to send a lot of information to them about my router setup etc. For advanced help. Not sure I wanna waste my time on that though.

Seems like a bug in the 3 pack cameras, in my opinion.