Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Onboarding QR code issue Essential camera

Discussion stats
CLM1989
Aspirant
Aspirant

Camera connected to my Wi-Fi but does not get added as a device in the Arlo app. Help please

65 REPLIES 65
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Did you choose the correct model when starting the setup? There are both Essential cameras with and without the spotlight so make sure you select the right one.

CLM1989
Aspirant
Aspirant
The model on the box says vmc2330. But when the unit connects to my Wi-Fi it says it’s vmc2030 so I tried to connect the vmc2030 it will connect to my internet but Arlo can’t find the device. This happened with all 3 cameras
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@CLM1989 wrote:
The model on the box says vmc2330.

That's a multicamera kit of 3 VMC2030s.  Unfortunately Arlo makes identifying your cameras needlessly difficult.

@CLM1989 wrote:
 so I tried to connect the vmc2030 it will connect to my internet but Arlo can’t find the device. 

Are you selecting the "Essential Spotlight" camera when adding device?  @jguerdat asked that, but you didn't answer that question.

CLM1989
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes I selected the essential spotlight model . It will connect the camera to my Wi-Fi but the the Arlo app cannot find the camera. I have an iPhone 13 would there be a setting in my phone that is causing this I am sharing my location when trying to connect. Do I need a hub to connect these cameras to Arlo app?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@CLM1989 wrote:
Do I need a hub to connect these cameras to Arlo app?

No.

@CLM1989 wrote:
It will connect the camera to my Wi-Fi but the the Arlo app cannot find the camera. I have an iPhone 13 would there be a setting in my phone that is causing this 

The app does have to be allowed to access your home wifi, so look in the apple settings for that.

A couple other possibilities:

• The wifi network needs to be set up as WPA2 (AES).
  • If you are trying to use a guest network, make sure that clients are allowed to "see" each other.
  • If your router lets you disable 5 ghz WiFi, then do that during onboarding.

cowtowncor
Tutor
Tutor

I'm having the exact same issue here using all the same types of components as the original poster.

I purchased a 3-pack of Essential Spotlight Cameras (VMC2330 on the box). I'm running the App on iPhone Xs. I have tried connecting against 3 different 2.4 GHz routers in two different houses (WPA2). I've tried using different OSX devices too (iPad and iPhone 13). I walk thru the wizard in the app and hear the chime when the QR code is scanned by the camera, then nothing, nada - the app just spins and eventually times out. I have run thru the factory reset process that I found online - although it doesn't work exactly as documented, the document suggests holding the sync button for 15 seconds then let go and wait for the 3 amber flashes. However when I do it, the only way I can get to the amber flashes is to continue to hold it thru 16-18+ seconds. After doing that several times, no difference in the process.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Have you tried using the web browser to install the cameras? 

cowtowncor
Tutor
Tutor
Yes, I did try that. Same exact outcome. I think it may be time for these to go back to the store from which they came, I’m not even going to open my flood light.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@cowtowncor

Are you using a mesh system or dual bands? 

cowtowncor
Tutor
Tutor
No. None of the three routers/networks I have tried are mesh. Two are 2.4GHz only, the other is dual band, I have tried with 5Ghz off in that router. No avail.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@cowtowncor

I can escalate this issue to support so they can help resolve the issue if you like? 

cowtowncor
Tutor
Tutor
Yes that would be helpful. Thanks.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@cowtowncor

I have escalated your case & someone from support will be reaching out to you as soon as possible. I have provided your escalations number here:43043964

arlokamera1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue, bought the 3 pack essential spotlight cameras yesterday but the app cannot find device. I have tried with samsung, iphone, and the my.arlo.com website but I cannot get it to work. Wonder if anyone has been able to get it to work in the last couple of days?

cowtowncor
Tutor
Tutor

Seem to be systematic to me. Too much of a coincidence that all complainants are running from a 3-pack.

I registered my serial numbers and provided contact details to support (as requested) and have not heard anything. I'm setting the timer, if I don't get this resolved before Tuesday 31st, I'm taking everything back to the store.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Are you making sure you're selecting the proper camera when onboarding? There are 2 different Essential cameras - one with spotlight and one without.

arlokamera1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, I have with spotlight. In desperation I have selected other cameras and then I get a different error message.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @arlokamera1

Are you still experiencing this issue? 

arlokamera1
Aspirant
Aspirant

After reinstalling the app on my iphone I have one camera added, but the other 2 cannot be found. Needless to say I am running out of patience.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@arlokamera1

Have you tried connecting via the web portal at MyArlo.com? I have attached an article with more instructions as well: https://kb.arlo.com/000062514

arlokamera1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have tried with iphone, samsung, and my.arlo.com, nothing works. I have one camera added but the other 2 are not found. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you tried the reset procedure on these cameras?

https://kb.arlo.com/000062438/How-do-I-factory-reset-and-re-sync-my-Arlo-camera

arlokamera1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have done the factory reset on the cameras that are not added and I have reinstalled the app on both samsung and iphone. I have spent way to many hours trying to get it to work, seems like the only thing left to do is to take it back to the store where I bought it and get something else.

gruck1984
Aspirant
Aspirant

Having a nightmare trying to connect a brand new floodlight to wifi, i already have a doorbell and three other cameras so not sure why I am having problems with this one:

Steps tried:

1. Ensured phone is on 2.4ghz network 
  2. restarted phone
  3. restarted router
  4. restored factory settings camera

The device chimes when scans QR code but then never detects a camera at the next step, blue light stops flashing after 10 minutes. Anyone have any further things to try before i send it back for a refund?