Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Internal error while naming camera

Discussion stats
Chabina
Initiate
Initiate
I'm setting up a new camera (1st of 2) using the app on a android device. I'm able to sync the camera but when I try to name it I get an "internal error" and can't contine. I've tried restarting the phone & uninstall & reinstall the app. I was able to do it before but when I deleted the device & tried to re-add it I got the error. Any ideas?
62 REPLIES 62
Icuassho
Aspirant
Aspirant
Screenshot
Screenshot_20211115-192603.png
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Is anyone in this thread still experiencing this issue?

JamesC

Jwtk2021
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes
sandra82
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am having the same issue with one of the cameras. I spent 3 hours with technical support using the chat and it was worthless.
BradCook
Aspirant
Aspirant
Its the poorest excuse for tech support I've ever dealt with...I went to best buy and bought a new camera simply to prove to the idiots the refurbished cameras they sent out were junk. It cost me 150 bucks to prove I was correct. They finally sent me a NEW camera after I did that. So now I have 5 subpar cameras! At the price of a much better system! I'll never get over it! Sorry for you!
Firefighter1828
Tutor
Tutor
They finally sent me a "new" camera. Connected without issues.
DKMsteve
Aspirant
Aspirant

brand new pro4 camera 2 or the 3 pack worked but on one I get the "Internal Error" when after trying to name.

Firefighter1828
Tutor
Tutor
Went thru months of troubleshooting. Same issue. Just have them send you "New Camera ". Not refurbished.
mrdurden20
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just came across this problem when moving a camera to another room in my home. It worked before and was purchased a couple years ago. 

MagaraMbe
Initiate
Initiate
I have a problem while I want to rename the smart hub
Where it displays internal error
Gatis
Aspirant
Aspirant
I had the same issue, at the end I found out that my wife connected to arlo first (like a main owner) and then she had to give me permission to connect (she sent invitation email from app) works fine .
Good luck!
JimmieK
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having problems with "internal Error".  Camera was working and I move it to another location.

After the move it wouldn't come on.  Tried to reinstall and shows the error message.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

WHat happens if you return the camera to its original location? What did you do prior to "tried to reinstall"?

Fizz01
Initiate
Initiate

I bought mine from Costco, brand new Arlo Pro 4 XL. I'm having the same problem, "internal error" after naming the camera. Named it Door.

Sbrown00224
Initiate
Initiate

I'm having the same problem

TimMarshall
Aspirant
Aspirant

I having this same issue on the smart hub and individual cameras. Just purchased the Costco pro 4 XL pack brand new.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Try skipping the renaming step during onboarding, and then go back and edit the name later.

TimMarshall
Aspirant
Aspirant

It doesn't let me skip naming on the app. I will try the web portal later today, maybe there is a different onboarding flow.

MarineMom2021
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just bought the Pro 4 camera system and can't get past naming it because it gives me an internal error. It SHOULD NOT be this hard to set up. I'm using an android phone and app

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

TimMarshall, MarineMom2021

Do you experience the same behavior when attempting to set up using a PC?

You could also try factory resetting the device before onboarding: https://kb.arlo.com/000062438/How-do-I-factory-reset-and-re-sync-my-Arlo-camera

JamesC

MarineMom2021
Aspirant
Aspirant

The only information I had in the Arlo Pro 4 box was to download the app to set up cameras. Arlo Pro 4 Wireless Security Camera

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MarineMom2021 wrote:

The only information I had in the Arlo Pro 4 box was to download the app to set up cameras.

You can also log in on a PC (browse to my.arlo.com). Cameras can be added there as well (but not doorbell

TimMarshall
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hurray! Thank you.

I signed in to the web portal on my computer, using the Microsoft Edge browser. It had me create a location, then I added my first camera and it worked. After that the app allowed me to add the base station and four more cameras.

Everything has now been working without issue since yesterday.

If you get internal naming error, try the web browser on your PC!

SnowQueen
Guide
Guide

I too just received brand new Pro4 set and can not get passed the naming. I reset my Wi-Fi to 2.4 instead of 5g. If they give instructions to set them up on your phone - you shouldn’t have to use a PC. Has anyone had any luck pairing their cameras?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@SnowQueen wrote:

If they give instructions to set them up on your phone - you shouldn’t have to use a PC.

You shouldn't have to - but you can. And sometimes it works out successfully on a PC when it fails in the app. Once set up (either way) you can access the cameras from the app.

I have several Pro 4s and have run into this renaming thing on sometimes - but I onboarded them a while ago.