Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Essential camera VMC2030 not staying connected

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 11 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
kodpkd
Apprentice
Apprentice

I keep reading all the issues with the essential camera VMC2030 not staying connected, BUT I haven't seen a fix yet.

How do I fix this, get a different system?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
kodpkd
Apprentice
Apprentice

SO,,,,, I disconnected the camera, uninstalled it from my app.  Updated the app. Did a full update to the camera then reinstalled it to my system.

So far all works and the camera shows a full signal. 

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
kodpkd
Apprentice
Apprentice

So after 1 hr. on tech support I did a factory reset on my camera, then reinstalled it from scratch.

Is this going to solve the problem?

kodpkd
Apprentice
Apprentice

SO,,,,, I disconnected the camera, uninstalled it from my app.  Updated the app. Did a full update to the camera then reinstalled it to my system.

So far all works and the camera shows a full signal. 

kodpkd
Apprentice
Apprentice

SO after 4 days the camera dropped off line again.  There is something really wrong with the essential cameras.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If the camera is brought closer to your hub or router does it do the same thing?

kodpkd
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am testing that now. I switched two of my cameras with the essential closer now.  So far so good.  But when the signal showed 4 bars why would it disconnect?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The WiFi icon shows strength but not possible interference. Sounds like something near the camera that also uses the 2.4GHz band is causing the issue.

kodpkd
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have thought about that. It was on the outside of my garage, nothing near it.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What about neighbor's WiFi? You may want to use a WiFi signal scanner on your phone or laptop to see what shows up at the camera location.

kodpkd
Apprentice
Apprentice

Every neighbor has WIFI........  If this camera is that bad, I will send it back!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@kodpkd wrote:

Every neighbor has WIFI

Of course.  And that doesn't necessarily mean there is interference.  It depends on how close the neighbor's wifi is to the garage.

I personally don't think the number of bars shown in the app is all that useful.  I suggest measuring the speed of your wifi connection at the garage with your phone.  The Ookla speedtest app (free) is a useful way to do this.  You'd want an upload speed of at 2 megabits or more (Arlo says 1 for the Essential, but I think you need some margin).  Signal quality can vary, so it'd be good to take a couple of measurements in a row, and then do it again at a different time.

kodpkd
Apprentice
Apprentice

SO,,,,,,,, It has been just a few days.  The essential camera is mounted on the side of my house, less than 10 feet from my base.  It just lost connection again. WHY?  Is this a faulty camera?  What should ARLO do about this?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While it certainly could be a faulty camera, what is the house construction? How many walls does the signal pass through and what's on/in the walls in the straight line between the base and camera?

If you have a subscription of any sort use Settings, Support to select the camera and start communicating with official support. They may determine the camera is faulty and replace it if so.

kodpkd
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have been on support hours,,,,, they are terrible.

kodpkd
Apprentice
Apprentice

So, the same camera is still disconnecting.  Now, what I can't figure out, if I leave it disconnected for a few days, it reconnects all by itself. 

I can reconnect it if I do a reset or reinstall but I don't get how it connects by itself.

Lee_MSgt
Guide
Guide

And you’re a “Guru”? Linking a camera either straight in to the computer or through a base unit us a lock. Outside WIFI cannot interfere unless there is a fault/defect with the camera or base. Simple logic demands that. This is why I hate using this forum - no technicians providing a concrete fix 

Jo060
Luminary
Luminary

You should update your name to, "keyboard warrior".

However, why not help the person having issue with their camera(s)? 

kodpkd
Apprentice
Apprentice

To end this thread.   ARLO sent another Essential camera.   It doesn't have any issues.  It has stayed connected for the weeks now. I have remounted it on my garage with no problems.

Thank you ARLO.