Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Base station arlo essential

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Corrine9
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have nbn connected and using DODO base station but when I try to add a new device, my base station cannot be found. I’m not IT savvy. What do I do? It was all working when I had broadband 

14 REPLIES 14
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Can you try using the arlo website login my.arlo.com with a pc web browser attached to the local network router.

Corrine9
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just tried this and it still doesn’t work.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

What model Base station are you trying connect?

What do the Base station LEDs show?

refer attached.

https://kb.arlo.com/000039100/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Arlo-SmartHub-or-Base-Station-mean 

Corrine9
Aspirant
Aspirant

There are 4 lights on and I’m using a DODO modem. It’s 5g NBN. Previous to this I had ADSL and was using a net gear modem which worked fine. 
mum wondering if it’s the NBN that’s the issue, or do I need to get an Arlo hub station? I don’t want to waste money if it’s not the hub. I wish there were someone to actually speak to at arlo so they can coach me through trying to set it up

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

You appear to indicate that you do not have a existing arlo Base station, correct?

If the arlo Cameras are the essential model and you don’t have a arlo Base station then you would have been directly connected to the local 2.4GHz wifi router modem.

If your new router modem only supports 5GHz wifi your cameras will not be able to connect to the internet.

Suggest you contact the isp provider to confirm the modem router can support 2.4GHz wifi.

If you can’t then you will need a arlo Base station to enable the camera connection.

Corrine9
Aspirant
Aspirant

Correct about the base stn. I never have had an arlo one. Can you explain how having a arlo base stn will work on my current network that isn’t allowing my cameras to work? It’s still the same internet connection….how does the different base stn then work with arlo cameras? 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DannyBearAgain wrote:

If your new router modem only supports 5GHz wifi your cameras will not be able to connect to the internet.

@Corrine9:  Almost all router/modems support both 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz.  Can you give us the manufacturer/model of the modem?  Likely it's either a TP-Link or Huawei model.

Also, check to see if the router has the admin password printed on a label.  You might need to review (and perhaps change) some wifi settings to get the Essential to connect.

As far as the base station goes, you would connect the Arlo base to the router/modem using ethernet.  The camera would then be connected to the Arlo base wifi (which is closed, so only the camera can connect to it). 

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

The arlo Base station operates it’s own 2.4GHz wifi channel which is closed to all but the arlo cameras.

The VMB5000 has 5GHz wifi in addition.

The cameras connect to the internet via the Base station wifi as the base is connected to the local network router.

Corrine9
Aspirant
Aspirant

It is a Huawei,HG659

so I have this right, I would be getting rid of this modem and connecting the arlo one? I don’t have both connected do I? 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Corrine9 wrote:

so I have this right, I would be getting rid of this modem and connecting the arlo one?

Absolutely not.  You'd lose your internet altogether if you do that.  

FWIW, @DannyBearAgain was just making a suggestion - it's not clear that you actually need an Arlo base. 

You said you were getting a "base station not found" error when you tried to add the camera.  If that is the case, there's a prompt that you must have answered incorrectly.  If you don't have a base, you'd need to select the option to connect directly to your home wifi.

If you are actually getting a different error message from the app, then please let us know what it is.  Try to give us the exact text.

@Corrine9 wrote:

It is a Huawei,HG659

This is a dual-band router, so it does have both 5 ghz and 2.4 ghz.

There are some other things that can get in the way of onboarding, but let's go step by step (starting with the question above).

Corrine9
Aspirant
Aspirant

These are the steps.

1-click + to add new device

2- click on camera

3- click on essential series

4-click on essential spotlight

Then this is where it says it needs 2.4GHz(I have 5) so I’m not sure what to do from here. If I select to continue, there is the QR code,I hit sync button which slowly blinks blue, camera chimes, but then nothing is found. 
I’m sorry, I’m not IT savvy at all

Corrine9
Aspirant
Aspirant

I worked it out!!!! Yay! 
so there was another internet connection I selected that did not have 5 g next to it. I used that with the same password and it worked. Thankyou all for your input. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Corrine9 wrote:

I worked it out!!!! Yay! 

Great! 

Corrine9
Aspirant
Aspirant

Now only issue is they are not recording. They are working, I have a subscription that is active. They detect movement but don’t save the recording