Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
jmader72
Tutor
Tutor

I connected the solar panel to my Arlo Camera.  Based on the icons showing, it is clear that the solar panel is connected properly.

The first time the power dropped below 100%, it immediately charged the camera until it reached 100% again.  After that first time, it does not automatically charge.  I have 2 options.  I can unplug the panel from the camera and then plug it back in, or I can go to the app and restart the camera.  Either of these tasks causes the camera to go into a charging status and continue on until it reaches 100%.  

Again, once it drops below 100% later on, it will not automatically start to charge unless I do one of those tasks.

Is there a setting I am missing or is this a known issue?

225 REPLIES 225
ybnice
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Pro4NoGoSolar 

If you bought your Panels and Pro 4 Cameras from JB Hi-Fi they will do FULL refund.  I took only my Panels back and explained the issue/fault.  They were 14 months old and were used this whole time until they stopped charging since Firmware update in November last.  I did not return my Cameras as in the end with lousy Arlo Support, I took the risk that it was not singularly the Pro 4 Camera at fault - I paid to have the Arlo 4 Pro Cameras hard wired to the electricity of my Home.  They work fantastic now and even better since I did that, but it did cost me a bit to do.  By hardwiring, this also proved that it is a Firmware issue when Arlo 4 Pro is connected to a Arlo Solar Panel for charging.
The RegularJoe solution above will not fix for your Arlo 4 Pro using Arlo Solar Panel.
Good luck @Pro4NoGoSolar as this issue is so frustrating and especially more so when dealing with Arlo Support and get nowhere.

ybnice
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Bajathree 

My original post I started with all our issue was under Arlo 4 Pro Forum with heading ,,,,

"Arlo 4 Pro Cameras using Solar Issue"
Why has this been merged into this post under "Arlo Essential Wire-Free Cameras".  This problem HAS NOTHING to do with Arlo 4 Pro Camera connected to an Arlo Solar Panel.
Wonder why they merged it - makes you think that Arlo Support are doing this hoping that the so called fix here will work - it DOES NOT.

Move this back to its rightful place please moderators of this Forum.

allsod
Star
Star

@RegularJoe  No it’s not the panels (how many times have we said this?). It’s the firmware. Specially the November release of the Pro 4 firmware.

You have essential cameras which have a different firmware. Glad it works for you but it just proves what we have been saying all along, they need to update or rollback the Pro 4 firmware to fix this issue for the Pro 4 users.

Contrary to your expectation, I’m not surprised the re-start doesn’t work on all camera models as they have different firmware releases for different models (remembering the firmware resides on each individual camera).

Arlo…. please fix the Pro 4 firmware fir your customers ASAP!!

ybnice
Apprentice
Apprentice

@allsod 
Right on!! Firmware issue re Arlo 4 Pro connected to Arlo solar Panel.  I said this right from the start with the creation of my Post re "Arlo 4 Pro Cameras using solar Panel".  The whole post and all postings within got merged into this Forum "Arlo Essential Wire-Free Cameras".  This has nothing to do with Arlo 4 Pro Cameras.  Needs to be moved back to Arlo 4 Pro Forum.

Bajathree
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ybnice I have no idea why your original thread was merged...it's further confusing things with people saying they have a fix. I agree there is currently no fix for the Pro4 using Arlo solar panels.....the problem still continues. 

I have gotten nowhere with Arlo support...every week they keep sending me an e-mail to update my case and asking me over and over again for proof of purchase...serial numbers and such....it's like Groundhog Day.

ybnice
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Bajathree 

Yes, this needs to be moved back to the Arlo 4 Pro Forum and not left here with a posting of a fix which does not work and nothing to do with Arlo 4 Camera.  3/4 of all postings, was up to around 7 pages long and are re Arlo 4 Pro using Arlo Solar Panel from original posting started by me headed ......

"Arlo 4 Pro Cameras using Solar Issue"  
Move it back please Moderators to its rightful place.

Capsgator
Apprentice
Apprentice

Agreed… we have more posts now beginning under Pro 4 forum as people aren’t seeing this one.

I’ll try and add the Pro 4 product to my reply and see if that helps.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi all,

The issue has been identified and a fix to resolve this will be coming soon.

I will provide another update when I'm notified of the release. 

RegularJoe
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

So, firmware in a camera is capable of being updated remotely?

Firmware software whatever, LOL

ybnice
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ShayneS 
This is good news.
Could you notify also in the Arlo 4 Pro forum below ty.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro-4/Pro-4-Camera-and-Arlo-Solar-Panel-Won-t-Charge/td-p/1895867

ybnice
Apprentice
Apprentice

For all the Arlo 4 Pro Camera posters...

Today my Arlo 4 Pro Camera's updated to a new Firmware.  Hopefully this fixes the Arlo Solar Panel Issue/Problem.

NEW FIRMWARE is:-     Firmware      1.080.18.6_66_bda8d63

Bajathree
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ybnice I see that both my Pro 4's are also now showing Firmware   1.080.18.6_66_bda8d63 

ybnice
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Bajathree 

Oh good 1!!  I hope this update fixes the Arlo Solar Panel issue.

Bajathree
Apprentice
Apprentice

Will see if this new update makes any difference today when the sun comes up.

Ironically I also just got a support e-mail that Arlo wants to exchange one of my 2 cameras  "for isolation purposes and to know the exact root cause of the issue. "

jaq68
Tutor
Tutor

Woohoo!!! My 5 Arlo Pro 4s received the update . The sun has come up and they are all charging!! First time I've seen this since November!!!

Bajathree
Apprentice
Apprentice

Both my Pro 4's are charging again!!! One already went from 79% to 100% and now went from green to grey the other from 82% to 94% and still charging. Fingers crossed they continue to stay automatically charge and stay at 100%

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thanks for the updates, keep me in the loop if anything changes. 

allsod
Star
Star

I too can confirm that all my 4 Arlo Pro 4 cameras received the firmware update overnight and are all charging this morning! None have reached 100% yet but let’s hope they continue to re-charge as required.

Not wanting to count my chickens, but pretty 
confident this will resolve the issue. Many thanks to @Bajathree @ybnice for their continued info, analysis and persistence to drive a solution. Also to @ShayneS for pushing and providing the updates 👍

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@allsod

Awesome, glad it's working for the majority of you so far. happy charging : )

Arlo-Solar
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, updated firmware fixed the problem!

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thank you all for the updates. As you may have noticed, we released an update to address this issue and it is now resolved. 

Please let me know if you still experience any issues regarding the solar panels charging. 

You can find the latest firmware release here: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/bd-p/arlo-release-notes

Thanks 

RegularJoe
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
  • Just think of all the time that was wasted going round and round with the customer non-support, the chasing of tails, gnashing of teeth...the returning of supposedly defective solar panels, and the stubborn insistence that third party panels were probably the problem....and,  for sure they wouldn't work at all.. and all the time it was just a firmware issue with the cameras/ operating system.. I'm sure glad I saved $20 per panel buying 3rd party  panels, they work just as good.
  •   Just fyi.. I originally bought a pair, then I went back and ordered three more.   
  • Use the code smarter10 and get 10% off the total price, plus free shipping... three panels come to $82 total.
dtm774
Initiate
Initiate

All my cameras got updated to firmware version 1.080.18.6_66_bda8d63.

They are now working properly.

jbow
Initiate
Initiate

I have the latest firmware update 1.080.18.6_66_bda8d63 on my pro 4 and my arlo solar panel is still  not charging. The camera will not recognize the panel, any help would be nice. 

ybnice
Apprentice
Apprentice

@jbow 

Since you have the latest Firmware to which fixed this issue for us all here.  Go to this link and try and troubleshoot there.  Hope it helps.

https://kb.arlo.com/000045870/How-to-troubleshoot-Arlo-Solar-Panel-charging-issues