Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pro 4 Camera and Arlo Solar Panel Won’t Charge…

Discussion stats
  • 36 Replies
  • 21 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation
Clemdog
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a Pro 4 camera that’s been working for a few months utilizing a Arlo solar panel. A few weeks ago the camera stopped charging and the panel isn’t showing up on the Arlo app…

I tried replacing the solar panel with another panel and still not charging. 
At this point I must assume the problem is the camera?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A recent firmware update was released for Arlo Pro 3 Floodlight, Arlo Pro 4 and Essential cameras. Please make sure you have the latest firmware version listed here: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/bd-p/arlo-release-notes?cid=a and let us know if you still experience this issue.

JamesC

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Clemdog wrote:

I have a Pro 4 camera that’s been working for a few months utilizing a Arlo solar panel. A few weeks ago the camera stopped charging and the panel isn’t showing up on the Arlo app…

I tried replacing the solar panel with another panel and still not charging. 
At this point I must assume the problem is the camera?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

There's been a lot of issues related to solar panels recently - personally I suspect a bug in the firmware.

@JamesC:  Is Arlo looking into this?

Matt_NZ
Guide
Guide

Is anyone else having the same issue where the solar panel stops charging once the camera battery gets to 100%?

Until recently, my cameras would stay at 100%, however now, once the battery gets to 100%, the panel stops charging and the battery will start to drain.  The only fix is to disconnect and reconnect the charging cable from the solar panel which defeats the purpose of having these panels.  Would love to know if anyone has a permanent fix?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The team is currently reviewing these reports, yes. If you reboot the camera (pull the battery and reinsert) does charging resume?

JamesC

Clemdog
Aspirant
Aspirant

Took out the battery and put it back in…. Doesn’t seem to make any difference 

Phqstar1225
Aspirant
Aspirant

I got the same issue recently. Plug in the cable and charge couple days but it won’t charge later until I remove the cable and put back. Is there any solution?

Matt_NZ
Guide
Guide

Unfortunately no changes. 
Removed and reinsert battery.

Tried removing camera and sync then connecting cable from solar panel. 
Again, charges to 100% then starts draining…

Doesn't seem to be solar panel that’s the issue.

Phqstar1225
Aspirant
Aspirant

I assume that is the firmware update issue . My camera and Solar panel were fine but somehow it charge couple days after stop not sure what is the reason.

Matt_NZ
Guide
Guide

Does your camera battery get to 100% or does it stop charging before it gets to 100%?

Phqstar1225
Aspirant
Aspirant

That I’m not quite sure since I’m not alway check my camera. But I only check the camera battery won’t charge after couple days or a week later. 

JoNJoN3
Tutor
Tutor

I've been having this exact same issue the past couple months. Had no issues all last year running two different brands of panels with my 5 pro4 cameras. Then it all fell apart in November. Constantly have to do the stupid disconnect reconnect cable trick to get the charging started. But once the charge hits 100% it's all over. These past couple weeks have confirmed my suspicions with the 100% charge bug. One of my cameras seems to have fallen in love with my hedges constantly sending me motion alerts. The charge never reaches 100% but it has charged everyday for the past 6 days. The 4 other cameras with panels though never charge again after 100% unless I do the cable trick. This really is ridiculous. We should be able to go back to the previous firmware when there were no issues. 

Phqstar1225
Aspirant
Aspirant

Does anyone can able to see it and find out the solution?

Capsgator
Apprentice
Apprentice

We already had a community thread on this very topic that had like 5-6 pages of experiences, 1500+ views, and what people were attempting.   Looking for that thread it appears Arlo deleted it for some reason.  

update.. not deleted but moved to the essential wireless camera forum and I can’t understand why.  

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Essential-Wire-Free-Cameras/Arlo-Essential-Solar-Panel-question/m...

Kipzillah
Tutor
Tutor

I am having the same issue with a brand new (A month old Arlo Pro 4 camera and Arlo Solar panel).  I don’t intend to constantly climb a ladder and unplug/pull out a battery or any of that.  My Arlo Pro 2’s seemed to work much better and more reliable than this system.  What say you Arlo.  What’s the fix for this?  Luckily, I still am able to return this system if it doesn’t start working soon.   Also, just to share, the support number is (866) 214-6520.  Don’t waste your time with the App Chat—-  As I was typing this while i was on hold for another matter with Arlo support, I asked Support about the the solar panel issue.  He said the solar panels are meant to hold the charge, not charge the cameras.  My experience with my Pro 2’s and solar panels is they charged as well.  I have been fighting another Arlo issue for 2 days and have been currently on hold for almost an hour today and I didn’t have the energy or desire to waste anymore of my Saturday working on the solar panel issue.  Good luck everyone.  

Capsgator
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yeah I’ve had that  “hold the charge” conversation a few times with various support staff there.  It appears someone wrote a script for them and that’s all they keep saying.  I asked them to explain what that meant and they had trouble.  For fun I explained the fallacy of the statement as I explained  I charged my camera to 100% so why isn’t the panel “holding” to 100% in December when it was “holding the charge” for over 6 months previous.  They admitted my logic made sense.

hold the charge… how silly.

Capsgator
Apprentice
Apprentice

If anyone else gets the “hold the charge” response just point them to this on the arlo site…

C70ED9AD-8F10-4282-A323-B228016042E1.jpeg

Matt_NZ
Guide
Guide

Unfortunately I’ve had the hold the charge conversation too…they offered to replace my solar panel for free until I told them I have 5 of them, now they want me to troubleshoot and take screenshots and a bunch of things that I know won’t work…

just so frustrating that none of the support staff actually listen to the problem.

JoNJoN3
Tutor
Tutor

Hold the charge is ridiculous. I didn't touch my cameras for months last year. Just let us go back to the previous firmware. What benefits did the new firmware actually bring? I haven't noticed any. 

ybnice
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hold the charge, unplug and reconnect all the time, do this do that and the list goes on with the dreadful type robotic Technical Support from Arlo.
I started a post back in November last complaining that this is SOLELY a Firmware issue regarding their Firmware update they did in November, NOTHING ELSE.

This HUGE post started by me got merged recently to "Arlo Essential Wire-Free Cameras" - "Arlo Essential Solar Panel question".  https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Essential-Wire-Free-Cameras/Arlo-Essential-Solar-Panel-question/t...  My original post that got merged incorrectly is 2nd post on page 1 within.  This is for "Arlo Essential Wire-Free Cameras, it HAS NOTHING do with Arlo Pro 4 Cameras using Arlo solar Panels.  The so called solution within DOES NOT work for Arlo Pro 4 Cameras.  Before they merged it to the wrong Forum it had like 7 pages of members problems experiencing the same issue when it was in correct Forum of Arlo Pro 4 Cameras.

Arlo Technical Support do not listen to the Customer... even telling me they will let the "Intermal" Team know; it is obvious this has not happened (area they said deals with Firmware updates).  Until they fix the Firmware this problem is just going to go on and on - so frustrating and very, very poor Customer Support

In the end got sick and tired of the dreadful Arlo Technical Support - over 17 Telephone Calls, that I took the risk, as knew it would work, paid for an Electrician and had my Cameras hardwired to the Electricity of my Home.  They work even better - seem to pick up more; and the best part, stay permanently at 100% with Green Light just like they did using Arlo Solar Panels before last November Firmware update.

My Solar Panels were just under 15 months old and 100% used during this time.  I cleaned them up, took them back to the Retailer (JB Hi-Fi) and explained the problem and also directed them to this Forum.  In Australia they have 2 Year Warranty and JB Hi-Fi give you option of Replacement, Store Credit or Refund.  I took the Refund and was Refunded and paid in Full.

Even though I have fixed my problem, now being hardwired to the Electricity of my Home, I still follow this problem.  Something needs to be done re Technical Support.  Perhaps Arlo need to bring it back to the USA and not outsource it Overseas.  If they keep going down this same track they will have an exodus of Customers going to other Brands.

ybnice
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Capsgator 

My Arlo 4 Pro's are just now doing a NEW Firmware update.  Have you got this also.? Does this now fix the Arlo Solar Panel Issue/Problem?  Hope so.  Good luck.
NEW FIRMWARE is:-     Firmware      1.080.18.6_66_bda8d63

Matt_NZ
Guide
Guide

Unfortunately no new firmware for my Arlo 4 pro cameras. Wondering if they are slowly rolling it out?

Will keep an eye on an update though.

thanks

Bajathree
Apprentice
Apprentice

Both my pro 4's are now showing Firmware      1.080.18.6_66_bda8d63

Will see if this new update makes any difference today when the sun comes up.

Ironically I also just got a support e-mail that Arlo wants to exchange one of my 2 cameras  "for isolation purposes and to know the exact root cause of the issue. "

jaq68
Tutor
Tutor

My 5 Pro 4s received the update overnight. This morning as soon as the sun hit the panels, they all began to charge!! This hasn't happened since November. I hope it continues!

Bajathree
Apprentice
Apprentice

@jaq68 thats promising....fingers crossed...waiting for the sun to hit my panels to see if they start charging.

JoNJoN3
Tutor
Tutor

My Pro4's all have this firmware also. Not sure if that's different or not. If it is I really hope this solves the problem. Having cameras go out when I'm out of town constantly for work is really frustrating.

Discussion stats
  • 36 Replies
  • 21 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation