Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
jmader72
Tutor
Tutor

I connected the solar panel to my Arlo Camera.  Based on the icons showing, it is clear that the solar panel is connected properly.

The first time the power dropped below 100%, it immediately charged the camera until it reached 100% again.  After that first time, it does not automatically charge.  I have 2 options.  I can unplug the panel from the camera and then plug it back in, or I can go to the app and restart the camera.  Either of these tasks causes the camera to go into a charging status and continue on until it reaches 100%.  

Again, once it drops below 100% later on, it will not automatically start to charge unless I do one of those tasks.

Is there a setting I am missing or is this a known issue?

225 REPLIES 225
Bajathree
Apprentice
Apprentice

I actually just now received an email to update my case.....they are asking for proof of purchase of my panels to start replacement procedures .....info I have given them at least 3 times already as well as telling them that both panels have already been replaced with Brande new panels through Best Buy already and still the same issue. I give up trying to get through to Arlo at this point.....they are useless and in total denial they have created a problem with their latest firmware update. Will never recommend Arlo to anyone.

Bajathree
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Jo060 I tried what you suggested and yes...now I have a different version of the app with all new look. My battery levels showing 89% on one camera but with a full battery indicator bar showing. My other camera showing 93% battery also with full battery indicator bar showing. Either camera charging and panels in full sun. I tried restarting both cameras and still not showing charging. I wonder if not charging since even though battery levels well below 100% they are showing a fully charged battery indicator level in the battery bar.

Bajathree
Apprentice
Apprentice

Someone posted this in another thread to do with this issue here in the community:

"

I've had a similar issues as stated above except I can initiate a charge by restarting the camera.

I was chatting with tech support this morning in regards to a different issue and I was actually given good information that may be worth looking in to.

We determined that although my app (android) showed that it was the latest version, the update never went through.

Is your app showing the new UI or does it look like the old Arlo app?

Tech support was able to force the new app update by  having me opening Arlo App > Tap add new device > at the bottom you'll find "security system", tap security system > swipe to last card  and tap "start upgrade" > Upgrade Anyway.

Now the app has an entirely different app. This forced the full app update which solved a few issues I've been having. Also it now appears the solar panels are charging without having to restart the cameras.

Worth a shot."

I tried it and indeed it did work and upgraded me to much different version of the Arlo app. However it did not solve the issue with automatically charging my cameras....again as soon I disconnected and reconnected the solar cable to the camera my cameras started to charge and went from 89% battery life to fully charged 100% in less than 2 hours.

ybnice
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Bajathree 

This still gives the same problem like we all are experiencing now, makes no difference.  The new update I already have; and got a couple of weeks ago on Windows 11 Computer, 2 x iPads, 1 x iPhone 14 Pro Max, Samsung Galaxy 21  and Google Pixel 7 Pro.  The problem still is there and always has been since the last Firmware Update.  I have come to the conclusion weeks ago that only a Firmware Update will fix what they broke when they updated in November; just updating Apps will not fix it and is quite laughable now... not.
Arlo Support is shocking!!

HLStephenson
Guide
Guide

I've been running version 4.0.2 of the app since it's release date of Dec 6, 2022 and still have the issue . The only way to start a charge is to restart the cameras from the app.  

Bajathree
Apprentice
Apprentice

@HLStephenson restarting the cameras from the app doesnt work for me...only thing that works is disconnecting and reconnecting the solar panel cable  to the camera.

Monteagle
Star
Star

I created a support case today and I was very assertive that the problem is a firmware issue that can only be solved by a firmware update to the camera so that it can detect the solar panel without disconnecting and reconnecting the cable.  The discussion ended with the support person agreeing that he would pass on the information to the software team which manages the software for Arlo Pro 4 camera.

I also included the link to this discussion and told support that this affects every Arlo pro 4 customer who uses it with a solar panel.  I told him  "your customers desperately need a firmware update to address this problem."

If I have anything to update I will.

Bajathree
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Monteagle good people create cases.....but what they told you they told me exactly weeks ago and it has gone nowhere....I had also sent them the links to both this discussion and another thats posted here in the community.....so they have had all this info for weeks now already.

ybnice
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Monteagle 

We all have bought up this issue until we are blue in the face to Arlo Support.  As I mentioned earlier, I have given up a couple of weeks back and had my Arlo 4 Pro Cameras wired to electricity of my home.  The Cameras are working awesome; just the same as before, charged 100% all the time.
I held off for a while... but today, I returned the Solar Panels to the Retail Store JB HI-FI and explained the bad situation with them.  I purchased them back on 19 September 2021 and they have a 2 year warranty here in Australia.  I got a FULL Refund - awesome (took me ages to clean them lol).  The Sales Person put a big note on the refund docket for Management to look into holding off selling them until Firmware update is done; and/or contact Arlo to take note of the dreadful problem with them not working and nobody is listening to any of us when we contact the Arlo Offshore Support Center to report the issue.  He also put down reference regarding the problem posted here on our Arlo Community Forum.  I said the problem is not just in Australia but overseas as well; USA etc.
Let us now hope that JB HI-FI will get the ball rolling in getting to the bottom of this by contacting their Supplier for Arlo and get this fixed once and for all!!  Fingers crossed...

Tonyschawks
Star
Star

I have had no success since the firmware update.  I’ve tried all the approaches as you described as well. Arlo support closed my case since it charges to a 100%, therefore it’s’working’ then drains again where I need to go back on the ladder. They even recommended I get new solar panels. 

Tonyschawks
Star
Star

I’ve confirmed I have the latest app with my Apple iPhone, still experiencing the same issues. 

Tonyschawks
Star
Star

I’ve tried this and still unfortunately the same issues. 

Tonyschawks
Star
Star

Unfortunately you and I are sharing this frustrating experience. 

Jo060
Luminary
Luminary

Keep in mind you can reply as a single post vs making multiple posts. 

AZRockster
Tutor
Tutor

Just a quick followup to my post last week. 

I had 3 Arlo Pro 4's and 1 Arlo Pro 3 connected as follows:

2 Arlo Pro 4 connected to Wasserstein solar panels (aftermarket).

1 Pro 4 connected to Arlo solar panel.

1 Pro 3 connected to Wasserstein solar panel (did not have any issues with solar charging).

After upgrading to the new app AND disconnecting and reconnecting the magnetic connectors, they are all charging after 1 evening of no solar.  Overnight was when it would stop charging and not restart the next morning, but now they all do.  It seems the new app has addressed this issue.  Just don't forget to disconnect and reconnect.

Monteagle
Star
Star

@AZRockster  -- which new app?  I have version 4.0.2 (5309) released Dec 6, 2022 for IOS.  I still have the problem which points more to the camera firmware revision, not the app.  The solar issue arrived coincident of that last firmware release.

Bajathree
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Monteagle same here.....using version 4.0.2 (5309) released Dec 6, 2022 ....panels still not automatically charging my cameras. 

ybnice
Apprentice
Apprentice

@AZRockster 

An App update does not fix the issue.  This is clearly a firmware issue.  Also you are using other Branded Panels.  I would look harder at your 1 Arlo one.   Arlo Solar Panels are designed to plug in and forget not not keep on reconnecting and connecting again to bring back charge to 100%.  I would look harder at your Arlo one and it will be, once it hits 100%, it will loose charge and not charge and Icon in App will be Grey.
Disconnecting and Reconnecting Solar Panel for it to work all the time is a fault, a Firmware Fault.

Arlo-Solar
Tutor
Tutor

I have a weird issue with my Arlo solar panels.   I clip on the magnetic clip etc to my cameras (Pro 4) and the battery charges as normal. They charge to 100% and you can then see that they finish charging.  

The next day, however, no matter how bright the sun, they won't charge, unless I pop off the magnetic clip and pop it back on. Just for a second or so, no cleaning, wiping, etc and they will start to charge again.  

Anyone able to help me sort out the issue?

I'd rather not have to walk around every few days popping off and on the clips, as two of them need a ladder to reach.   For the first 8 months or so, there was no issue.      

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Just a guess here - it may not be just the new app but also the new interface. Has anyone migrated to that yet? If you want to try, use Add Device to "add" a non-existent Pro 5 or security system. That will cause the migration after which you just cancel the install (since you don't have one of those to install in the first place).

If you do this, you'll need to rebuild modes since the old ones don't carry over. Note that there are only 3 available modes so some work is needed to get close to what you had in the past.

Capsgator
Apprentice
Apprentice

I’m confused here.  Is there a new app we should be upgrading  too or is this an app for another product that people are trying to see if that works?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Capsgator wrote:

I’m confused here.  Is there a new app we should be upgrading  too or is this an app for another product that people are trying to see if that works?

The current app (4.x) supports two different interfaces - the traditional one that has "Library" at the bottom of the main screen, and a new one that has "Feed".  Arlo will transistion everyone to "Feed" at some point, but at the moment some of us are on "Library", while others are on "Feed".

It is possible to shift from Library->Feed, but you cannot shift back.  Since people here are reporting some issues with "Feed", I suggest sticking with Library unless there's a clear indication that you need "Feed" to resolve a particular problem (or have purchased a Pro 5 camera or the new security system).  The only issue I know about that requires "Feed" is adding a new Friend account.

Capsgator
Apprentice
Apprentice

About 30 min after I posted that, I got an email welcoming me to the new app.  Coincidence?

after I updated the app I 

I went around the house and unplugged and replugged the solar panels.  I’ll let you know if they start working normally.

AZRockster
Tutor
Tutor

Just to help everyone here, I'll summarize my experience since my last post.

- Updated my phone's app to 4.0.2.1_28506 released 12/9/22 (android version so it may be slightly different than IOS)

- 2 Arlo pro 4 cameras on Wasserstein solar panels still continue to charge until it hits 100% and then the icon greys out (that's what it should do since the battery is fully charged).  The Wasserstein's connect to the cameras exact same way as Arlo's panels - they have the magnetic connectors.

- 1 Arlo pro 4 camera on Arlo solar panel also still continues to charge until it hits 100% (technically 95%, but I think it is because it has a battery that's 2 years old).

- 1 Arlo pro 3 camera on Wasserstein solar never had a problem and always charged to 100% even before the app update.

Thanks and I hope this helps some with troubleshooting their issues.  

ybnice
Apprentice
Apprentice

@AZRockster 

The Icon stays Green if charged to 100 percent

When I had my Arlo Panels, when they worked properly; (I had them over a year), the Arlo Solar Panel Battery Icon is Green during the day even when it is at 100 percent.  At night it is Grey.  As soon as it is daylight it turns Green, charges and stays Green even at 100 percent.

The problem of late has been that to get Icon to go Green again, when say it drops to 96 percent in morning, is to disconnect and reconnect the Solar Panel.  It charges and Icon turns Green, but as soon as it hits 100% the Icon turns Grey and you slowly loose charge if you do not disconnect and reconnect the Solar Panel.  They are not meant to work like that; meant to be set and forget.
I have mine hardwired in now and it is the same as my Panels when they worked properly - Icon Green and stays Green even at 100%; but of course being hardwired, it is 100% percent and Icon Green all the time even at night.  I will never use a Solar Panel again for any Security Camera - too much headache.  Finally, since been hardwired the Cameras work better; more accurate and pick up more movements.