Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
jmader72
Tutor
Tutor

I connected the solar panel to my Arlo Camera.  Based on the icons showing, it is clear that the solar panel is connected properly.

The first time the power dropped below 100%, it immediately charged the camera until it reached 100% again.  After that first time, it does not automatically charge.  I have 2 options.  I can unplug the panel from the camera and then plug it back in, or I can go to the app and restart the camera.  Either of these tasks causes the camera to go into a charging status and continue on until it reaches 100%.  

Again, once it drops below 100% later on, it will not automatically start to charge unless I do one of those tasks.

Is there a setting I am missing or is this a known issue?

225 REPLIES 225
Dkmb
Guide
Guide

I have an open case but will go in and reference this chat as well.  

ybnice
Apprentice
Apprentice

Reference to chats did not help at all with me.  It all is falling on death ears I'm afraid.

Capsgator
Apprentice
Apprentice

The hope here is that 1-2 people opening support cases referencing the chat will be far outweighed by 20-30 people and bring more attention.

Bajathree
Apprentice
Apprentice

I opened a case a few weeks ago. They suggested sending in one of my solar panels to replace even though I told them it doesn't seem thats the problem from what I have read. Having extended purchase protection through Best Buy I actually was able to walk in and exchange in person my 2 solar panels....connected and same issue. I updated my open case with Arlo and  they closed it!!!!. I opened another case last week and again they suggested trying to replace both panels even though I told them I just replaced them both......it goes nowhere with Arlo support. In chat I did actually send a link to this thread and got a response of....we will escalate this to higher support. Got an email a few days to update my case.....which there is nothing n my end to update and just replied that issue continues .... haven't heard anything since....getting absolutely nowhere with Arlo support.

it is very obvious with all those that responded it is a firmware issue....cause changing out panels will do nothing as well as now even people using 3rd party solar panels are reporting having the same issue.

Bajathree
Apprentice
Apprentice

I should note that yesterday I noticed that one of my cameras started to automatically charge....first time automatically charging without disconnecting the cable and reconnecting in over month.   When I looked at it the indicator was green and charging and battery level was at 92%. It charged up to 100% in a few hours time and the charge indicator turned from green (charging) back to dark grey. The other camera the battery level was showing 97% and never went into charging mode. Both panels southern facing in full sun. This morning the camera that charged yesterday now showing battery at 98% and sun up and again not charging....indicator showing dark grey. The other camera 97% and also not charging.

ybnice
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Bajathree

Sigh... When this one day will be all over (one hopes so), all of us who have participated in this whole thread; doing this and that to get our Solar Panels to work and charge like they should, we will all be self trained Super Professional Support Helpers. lol lol.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Dkmb

May I ask which troubleshooting steps you have performed so far? I don't want to suggest anything you have previously performed.

Capsgator
Apprentice
Apprentice

Why does this thread say it’s solved?  There is no solution at this point.  Is that something the guides can remove?

ybnice
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Capsgator

I noticed that today also.  Somebody has accidentally done that.  The moderators should be able to remove it.  It is far from solved.!!

Bajathree
Apprentice
Apprentice

have tried everything....cleaning panels ....replaced solar panels with 2 brand new Arlo solar panels....removed and replaced  batteries...cleaned contacts...did hard reboot....deleted cameras and added back...none worked other than disconnecting and reconnecting the solar panel charging cord to camera.....and that only works till camera battery hits 100% charge or you lose light.....then will not charge again...battery starts to slowly go down and never automatically charges again till you once again disconnect and reconnect solar charging cord to camera.

HLStephenson
Guide
Guide

This issue has now been reported on this form for a over month. 
When is Arlo going to address this issue?  I'm in a large community of over 7,000 homes that keeps asking for security camera recommendations.
It's now to the point I'm afraid to recommend Arlo cuz their support is so slow to address issues.

JRay1
Star
Star

I noticed something about this issue today that I'd previously missed.   We've acknowledged that after the battery is fully charged from the solar panel, the icons go from green to black, then never charge again until the connection is reset. 

Two days ago, I manually charged one of my cameras back up then reconnected the solar panel.  Over that night, the local wildlife set off the camera enough for the battery level to drop to 96%.  The next day was sunny and, as expected, the solar panel was able to start charging..... but it was an overcast sky and even though it charged, it didn't raise the battery level (it was still 96%).  As expected, the icons went from green to black when the sun went down.  Last night, more activity drained it to 92% and today I'm charging again.  It seems like the battery might need to reach 100% before the charging issue occurs.  To anyone having this issue, please try to confirm this behavior.

Dkmb
Guide
Guide

Yes, it will charge and once it gets to 100% then you need to reset it to get it charge again.  I heard back from Arlo support and they said they are aware of the issue and an engineer is working to fix.  Once a solution they will let me know.  Fingers crossed!

Bajathree
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am still experiencing no charging unless I disconnect and reconnect the solar cable. Getting nowhere with Arlo support....they keep updating my case by asking the same questions and telling me to do all the same things I have already done.

Bajathree
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am still experiencing no charging unless I disconnect and reconnect the solar cable. Getting nowhere with Arlo support....they keep updating my case by asking the same questions and telling me to do all the same things I have already done.

Bajathree
Apprentice
Apprentice

They keep saying that the Arlo solar panel is just a trickle charger and not supposed to rely on to charge a drained down battery. Well I don't know... I live in FL with solar panel facing full southern sun exposure....my battery was down to 80% before I unplugged and plugged back in the solar cable to trigger it to start charging....and battery went from 80 to 99% in less than 5 hours time.

Monteagle
Star
Star

In most areas, the sun is out at least once a week on average; in my experience, the battery will have dropped about 10% at most since the last sun day, which the solar panel has no problem recharging the camera battery to 100% in a few hours of sun.  

I am sure it has been mentioned to support by several Arlo Pro 4 owners:  the problem is that the camera will not recognize the solar panel until the cable is disconnected and reconnected when the sun is out.  The camera software should automatically  recognize the solar panel when it is sufficiently sunny and warm.  It is below zero today where I live, and after I reconnected the charging cable, the camera reported that it is too cold for the solar panel to charge the camera.  So for sure the camera has the ability to detect whether the solar panel is capable of charging, but there must be a new bug in the software that prevents it from checking periodically.

Bajathree
Apprentice
Apprentice

@HLStephenson same here....I am in a band new community of 500 homes being built and almost all are installing cameras. I had good things to say about Arlo until this issue arose causing my cameras to no longer automatically charge....now I just cant recommend to neighbors when asked what camera system I have.

chris_ross
Initiate
Initiate

Same issue- it’s definitely since firmware update.  Have 4 Arlo Pro cameras - all connected to solar panels- no issues until firmware update.  Exactly as other users describe— no charge from solar unless you disconnect and reconnect the cable to the camera— and for me I have to do it twice to get it to then charge.  Once that occurs - it will keep charging until 100% but then will not charge again at all until the cable is disconnected and reconnected again.

I have airbnb fitted with cameras and super annoyed with this- Arlo needs to see this as an issue with firmware not with the user- and then correct it- it can’t be hard as it’s now obviously a known fault that can be simulated by them easily.  The camera recognises the solar cable is attached as the sun symbol is there but won’t go green and charge until cable is disconnected and reconnected. Soft and hard resets and deleting and adding cameras do nothing to help.

Arlo IT guys- please fix this and put out another firmware update - otherwise you will be losing many customers.

#solarpanel

#firmware

RegularJoe
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Does the battery have to discharge a certain amount before the solar panel kicks back in? I haven't read anyone saying that their battery went dead, just that it doesn't show charging the next sunshiney day.

The panel would put out juice as long as the sun shines, so it's got to be something in the camera that allows a charge to flow when there is power available.

Bajathree
Apprentice
Apprentice

@RegularJoe I have let my camera battery level go down as low as 80% and solar panel still will not start to automatically charge on its own. Have to manually disconnect and reconnect the solar cable to camera to get it to start to charge. Prior to the latest firmware update when this issue started my camera battery would start to charge on its own as soon as batter level fell below 100%. 

Also Arlo support has never mentioned anything about having to let the battery fall to a certain level before it will let the solar panel start charging....so I don't think thats the issue.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Can't address the need to reconnect the panel to get it charging but the battery icon changes according to this:

https://kb.arlo.com/1179176/What-do-my-Arlo-camera-s-battery-level-icons-and-notifications-mean

ybnice
Apprentice
Apprentice

Has anybody been able to get through to Arlo yet that there is a Firmware issue...?  I presume no update, so no.  😡  It is beyond ridiculous now!!

Bajathree
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ybnice I still have an open case with them....the second one now after they closed the first one. Have gotten nowhere....

Jo060
Luminary
Luminary

I've had a similar issues as stated above except I can initiate a charge by restarting the camera.

I was chatting with tech support this morning in regards to a different issue and I was actually given good information that may be worth looking in to.

We determined that although my app (android) showed that it was the latest version, the update never went through.

Is your app showing the new UI or does it look like the old Arlo app?

Tech support was able to force the new app update by  having me opening Arlo App > Tap add new device > at the bottom you'll find "security system", tap security system > swipe to last card  and tap "start upgrade" > Upgrade Anyway.

Now the app has an entirely different app. This forced the full app update which solved a few issues I've been having. Also it now appears the solar panels are charging without having to restart the cameras.

Worth a shot.