Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Re: Arlo Essential - Batteries Not Removeable?

Reply
Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 169 Views
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
NotSatisfied
Guide
Guide

My existing Arlo cameras have removeable batteries.  When a battery is low I can change it in seconds using a charged spare - virtually no down-time on the camera.  Do the new cameras seriously have to be removed from the mount and taken out of service while charging?  Or an extension cord run to the wireless camera location to charge while it remains in service?  Seriously?  Is this really acceptable to the Arlo community?

Model: VMC3030 | Arlo Wire-Free Camera
3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@NotSatisfied wrote:

  Do the new cameras seriously have to be removed from the mount and taken out of service while charging? 


The VMC2020, VMC2030, and VMC2032 do not have a removable battery.  I believe that reduces the cost on these comparatively inexpensive models.

 

Obviously people have a choice - they can purchase Pro4s, etc if they want the removable battery. 

 

 

NotSatisfied
Guide
Guide

Thanks for confirming.  My old Arlo's were entry-level, with removeable batteries.  Eliminating that cost-friendly option by requiring that the entry-level cameras be removed from service for charging does a disservice to those who might be looking for an entry-level cost for cameras while still desiring complete security.  All just MHO.  The removeable batteries for the Pro4 are not compatible with Arlo's older cameras.  Just like any other electronic manufacturer, obsolescence is apparently built in to Arlo products to drive sales of new products.  Say it's in the name of improved features and performance if you will, but what if a user is satisfied with their current setup and isn't looking for such changes?  Again, just MHO.

Model: VMC2020 | Arlo Essential
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@NotSatisfied wrote:

Eliminating that cost-friendly option by requiring that the entry-level cameras be removed from service for charging does a disservice to those who might be looking for an entry-level cost for cameras while still desiring complete security.  


A Pro 2 battery + charger costs $110.  You can get an extra essential camera for $100 at the moment, and swap that.  So I don't see a huge disservice here.   The Essential cameras are substantially less expensive than the Pro 2s were when they were launched.

 


@NotSatisfied wrote:

The removeable batteries for the Pro4 are not compatible with Arlo's older cameras.  


The Pro4 battery is 2x the capacity (4800 mAH).  The Pro4 and Ultra wouldn't run very long with the Pro 2 battery (2440 mAH).

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 170 Views
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation