Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How do you get push notification on a remote network or 5G connection

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Phil_H
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just purchased and was testing out my new Arlo Essential wire-free camera.  I get push notifications just fine when on the same network.  However, when I am on a 4G or 5G network, I am not able to log into the app on IOS and I do not get push notices.  Shouldn't I be able to get notifications when I am away from home no matter what network I am on?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Phil_H
Aspirant
Aspirant

The problem looks like my Iphone has a delay when switching networks, even when switching between WIFI networks.  I found if I reboot my phone, then it starts working.

Thanks to all who provided feedback and recommendations.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Phil_H wrote:

However, when I am on a 4G or 5G network, I am not able to log into the app on IOS 

Go into the Apple settings, and make sure that the app is allowed access to cellular data.

Phil_H
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply Stephen. However, the Arlo setting on my Iphone is already set for Cellular Data.  Any other suggestions? I may have to return it if I can't get notifications when I am traveling.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Are you getting an error when you try to log in?

FWIW, this is definitely working on my iPhone.

Phil_H
Aspirant
Aspirant

Stephen, my login when on 5G times out.  Below are the settings for the  Arlo app on my Iphone

Location   - while using

Microphone - On

Face ID - On (tried with it off and still timed out)

Home Data - On

Siri&Serach - all are On

Notifications - On

Background app refresh - Off

Cellular Data - On

Geofencing - Off

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Phil_H wrote:

Stephen, my login when on 5G times out.  Below are the settings for the  Arlo app on my Iphone

Mine are similar, but Background App Refresh is on.

What version of iOS are you using?

Phil_H
Aspirant
Aspirant

Stephen, my IOS version is14.6  It is good to know that you get notification when you are on 5G or other networks.  I hope I can get it to work on mine.  Otherwise I may end up returning it.

dcfox1
Master
Master

@Phil_H To add just making sure you do have push notifications or e-mail selected in your Mode>Rules for the cam? Also may not make a difference but IOS is now 14.7.1

What are modes and rules and how does Arlo use them?

Edit: I forgot you said you get them at home sorry. 

Phil_H
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks dcfox1.  I do get the notifications as long as I am on the same WIFI segment.  I rebooted my Iphone, dropped out of the WIFI network and tried again to login through 5G with no success.  My 5G runs anywhere from 13-30 MBPS

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Try turning background refresh on, just to make sure it isn't a factor.

Phil_H
Aspirant
Aspirant

The problem looks like my Iphone has a delay when switching networks, even when switching between WIFI networks.  I found if I reboot my phone, then it starts working.

Thanks to all who provided feedback and recommendations.