Solar Panel says charging but battery draining

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Millerngm
Aspirant
Aspirant

We have 3 outdoor essentials gen 2 hooked up, all running the same settings. One of them does not remain charged even when the camera says it is in full sun and charging the battery level is just dropping. 

19 REPLIES 19
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Millerngm wrote:

We have 3 outdoor essentials gen 2 hooked up, all running the same settings. One of them does not remain charged even when the camera says it is in full sun and charging the battery level is just dropping. 

Try swapping the problem camera with one of the other two, and then see whether the problem moves with the location, or whether it stays with the camera.

Millerngm
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did try that with no success. I have also disabled the problem camera so it is not active but still connected to wifi and solar and the battery still drained. It doesn't even last 24 hours.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Millerngm,

From your description of the issue, it could be a hardware problem with the device. I encourage you to reach out to Arlo Support using the Arlo app under Settings > Support to further investigate the issue.

From there you can open a support ticket for that specific camera and an agent will reach out to you with more information.

JamesC

MLinIdaho
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem: out of 3 cameras, one camera won't charge with the solar panel, no matter which solar panel I hook it up to. I fully charge it indoors and as soon as I hook it up to a solar panel, it starts to drain the battery. How do I get a replacement camera?

I don't want to get on the roof again to take the whole system down and then put a replacement system back up. I'll switch to a different brand if this becomes too much of a hassle.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

MLinIdaho,

I encourage you to reach out to Arlo Support using the Arlo app under Settings > Support to further investigate the issue.

From there you can open a support ticket for that specific camera and an agent will reach out to you with more information.

JamesC

Millerngm
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you James, I attempted that this morning and was informed that my subscription does not cover live support. I will have to try to call someone or perhaps just return them to Costco.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Millerngm wrote:

Thank you James, I attempted that this morning and was informed that my subscription does not cover live support. 

Arlo secure subscriptions do include phone support, so something is off here.

Millerngm
Aspirant
Aspirant

They might include phone support but James had suggested using the app which requires you to chat which only allows you to chat with a bot unless you have a subscription with live support. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Are you logged in using a shared account or the admin account? From the admin account, the active subscription will be identified and you will be able to open a support ticket. If you're using the shared account, these options will not be present.

JamesC

Millerngm
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you! I didn't realize I was using my login and the account is under my husbands credentials. I am now in a chat with support.

Millerngm
Aspirant
Aspirant

Quick update the support agent is requiring me to go through all the troubleshooting steps that I had already done prior to contacting them so they have it documented. It is quite frustrating as I have already spent 3 days swapping panels, charging with wall cables, and factory resetting this camera only to have to do it all again before any resolution can be reached. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Millerngm wrote:

They might include phone support but James had suggested using the app which requires you to chat which only allows you to chat with a bot unless you have a subscription with live support. 

The app has a phone support option in the support center.  However, you do need an Arlo Secure subscription to use it.

In any event, you do know how to reach them now.

MLinIdaho
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm in the app in settings and there is no support tab to open. I don't see a way to open a support ticket ?????

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MLinIdaho wrote:

I'm in the app in settings and there is no support tab to open. I don't see a way to open a support ticket ?????

Start by tapping on the profile icon in the upper left of the screen.  Instructions are here:

MLinIdaho
Aspirant
Aspirant

I followed the instruction in your link until it suggested clicking on the CONTACT tab, trouble is, there is no CONTACT tab on that page, only SUPPORT REQUESTS, COMMON TOPICS, COMMUNITY ARTICLES, and DETAILS.

Why is it so hard to get support with this product?? I just want a replacement camera to swap with the defective one!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MLinIdaho wrote:

I followed the instruction in your link until it suggested clicking on the CONTACT tab, trouble is, there is no CONTACT tab on that page, only SUPPORT REQUESTS, COMMON TOPICS, COMMUNITY ARTICLES, and DETAILS.

I see "CONTACT" between "COMMUNITY ARTICLES" and "DETAILS"

1E2302BB-FC28-48A8-9115-F908DB18EC68.jpeg

Phone is grayed out because the US support isn't open yet.

I'm tagging the mods ( @BrookeN , @JamesC , @ShayneS ) as they can open a support ticket on your behalf.

Swirl3
Aspirant
Aspirant

Very frustrating I'm sure after you have approached to figure out the problem.  I have concluded the solar panels are at min design ability.  Any loss of a cell or direct sun will cause the system to not work.  I bought this as a kit from Costco.  I wish I could return and get the larger solar panels they should have packaged with these 2k essential cameras.  I would be happy to pay the difference if Arlo is listening.   Thanks

Squidziit
Aspirant
Aspirant

Any resolution on this yet?  I am having the same problem.  Charge camera to 100%, hook up solar panel, camera completely drains within two days.  I have 3 cameras on solar and only one is doing this.  The cameras are only about a month old and the solar panels are less than a week old.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Squidziit,

I encourage you to reach out to Arlo Support using the Arlo app under Settings > Support to further investigate the issue.

JamesC