Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Introducing the 2nd generation of the Essential camera, now offered in both 2K and HD options. Experience exceptional smart home security with unbeatable value and price. We all deserve protection, no matter what your budget is or the size of your property. Choose from 2K or HD camera options for round-the-clock protection.

JamesC_0-1695148726936.png

JamesC_1-1695148726938.png

JamesC_2-1695148726939.png

Essential Coverage. Everyday Protection. Essential Outdoor Camera provides smart home security with clear HD 1080P resolution, Color HD Night Vision, and Integrated Siren. Check-in on your home, family or pets anytime.

·        First sub $50 HD security camera

·        Updated seamless Bluetooth onboarding

·        130° field of view

·        Wire-free with built-in rechargeable battery for long lasting battery life

·        Integrated Spotlight

·        Color Night Vision

·        Sleeker form factor with newer battery technology

Essential Coverage. Crystal-Clear Details. Essential Outdoor Camera provides enhanced smart home security with crystal clear 2K resolution and zoom in to see more details without distortion day or night with Color Night Vision.

·        First sub $100 2K security camera

·        Updated seamless Bluetooth onboarding

·        130° field of view

·        Wire-free with built-in rechargeable battery for long lasting battery life

·        Integrated Spotlight

·        Color Night Vision

·        Sleeker form factor with newer battery technology

Post a reply or visit Arlo Support if you have any additional questions or need more information about the Arlo Essential Outdoor Camera - 2nd Generation.

Thank you for being part of the Arlo Community!

142 REPLIES 142
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

RachelV,

I reviewed the cloud information associated with your account and it appears you were able to onboard a 2nd generation Essential XL camera successfully. Are you still experiencing this issue or were you able to find the option to onboard 2nd gen devices within the app?

JamesC

Tim1234
Star
Star

I have the same problem. As far as I am aware 2nd gen essential vameras are, at the moment, wifi only, there is supposedly a camera firmware update scheduled 3rd quarter 2024 to fix the problem but don't hold breath

Tim1234
Star
Star

Connecting the 2nd gen cameras via WiFi no problem but there is still no apparent method of connecting them to hubs so can have on site recordings. Also there is bo method,  as far as I can see, of reviewing the on site recordings without Internet. Effectively useless if no Internet.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Tim1234 wrote:

Also there is no method,  as far as I can see, of reviewing the on site recordings without Internet. Effectively useless if no Internet.

It is an internet service.

• You need to have an internet connection to log into the app.
  • The base needs to have an internet connection in order for you to access any cameras paired with the base and the local recordings

If the base is powered, it will still save recordings when during an internet outage.  

@Tim1234 wrote:

Connecting the 2nd gen cameras via WiFi no problem but there is still no apparent method of connecting them to hubs

This was already answered above.  The 2nd gen cameras don't have that feature (yet).  Arlo hasn't announced when they will roll it out.  Future plans are just that - plans.  So any dates you hear are subject to change.

Piper17
Tutor
Tutor

The easiest way is to return the deceptive camera system and purchase alternative that does work.   After I realized they have been giving Hopium for a year and got the standard “we are working on it “  I had to return 

b4better
Initiate
Initiate

Is there an update on when this camera can be connected to the base station?  Thanks. 

shill_ds
Star
Star

“Soon”

Nathalia
Aspirant
Aspirant

I would like to know the same and how is it possible that there is only cover in US and not other countries? 

kb9hgi
Star
Star

I will not buy anymore Arlo camera's they are useless if you can not record on your hub. I don't think you have any plans updating these either. I think Arlo is done time to go with something else.

kb9hgi
Star
Star

There is no update and has not been last couple years. Their website lies saying they can work on hubs and then they lie saying they are working on a update.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@kb9hgi wrote:

There is no update and has not been last couple years. Their website lies saying they can work on hubs and then they lie saying they are working on a update.

1. The gen 2 cameras were launched last October, so NOT "last couple years"
  2. The website and KB articles do NOT say the gen 2 cameras can be paired with a hub.  Though it is easy to confuse the original Essential cameras with Gen 2.
shill_ds
Star
Star

Who cares about the timeframe? They’ve been promising a feature and not delivering since OCTOBER. 10 months ago. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@shill_ds wrote:

Who cares about the timeframe? 

Based on questions here, a lot of people care about the timeframe.

@shill_ds wrote:

not delivering since OCTOBER. 10 months ago. 

FWIW, my view (expressed in earlier posts) is that Arlo shouldn't have released the cameras until the features were all available.

Tjhastings
Star
Star

I know it’s repetitive, but how close is the update got the hub and HomeKit 

Piper17
Tutor
Tutor

February 31

BrisAl88
Aspirant
Aspirant

I own one of these and the wifi radio could be better. Goes out of range quickly when other devices still say full range and when they do go out of range it will freeze up and stop responding. Only a full reset will fix it and then move it back with range. I would spend the extra money and go with the pro 5 as this has dual band wifi and most probably a better radio inside. I own 5 Arlo's all up. 3 pro2s, a pro5 and a essential 2nd gen 2k. And the essential is the lightest and most promising of them all but the poor wifi signal is a deal breaker. 1 wall and it's useless. 

Caffeinator
Guide
Guide

Since Arlo has been promising that the Essential 2nd Gen will be able to connect to the hubs, I've been waiting patiently. I live in the foothills in California and internet is spotty. The option to record to the hubs directly was a main feature as Arlo said it was coming. Many months later and no update. I guess I will have to pack up all 6 cameras and return them to Costco and purchase something more compatible for my area. Sorry Arlo, I've been waiting and you have not delivered. I will let my family and friends know not to choose Arlo for home security. Arlo, change my mind?

dezmangos
Tutor
Tutor

Go ahead. I didn't have this option. It's the best to do. And I'm sure Arlo will not see our money again.