Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Introducing Arlo Essential Outdoor Camera - 2nd Generation

Discussion stats
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Introducing the 2nd generation of the Essential camera, now offered in both 2K and HD options. Experience exceptional smart home security with unbeatable value and price. We all deserve protection, no matter what your budget is or the size of your property. Choose from 2K or HD camera options for round-the-clock protection.

JamesC_0-1695148726936.png

JamesC_1-1695148726938.png

JamesC_2-1695148726939.png

Essential Coverage. Everyday Protection. Essential Outdoor Camera provides smart home security with clear HD 1080P resolution, Color HD Night Vision, and Integrated Siren. Check-in on your home, family or pets anytime.

·        First sub $50 HD security camera

·        Updated seamless Bluetooth onboarding

·        130° field of view

·        Wire-free with built-in rechargeable battery for long lasting battery life

·        Integrated Spotlight

·        Color Night Vision

·        Sleeker form factor with newer battery technology

Essential Coverage. Crystal-Clear Details. Essential Outdoor Camera provides enhanced smart home security with crystal clear 2K resolution and zoom in to see more details without distortion day or night with Color Night Vision.

·        First sub $100 2K security camera

·        Updated seamless Bluetooth onboarding

·        130° field of view

·        Wire-free with built-in rechargeable battery for long lasting battery life

·        Integrated Spotlight

·        Color Night Vision

·        Sleeker form factor with newer battery technology

Post a reply or visit Arlo Support if you have any additional questions or need more information about the Arlo Essential Outdoor Camera - 2nd Generation.

Thank you for being part of the Arlo Community!

142 REPLIES 142
shill_ds
Star
Star

Well if they did this, how could they make all that sweet sweet cloud subscription money, that you literally have to pay to have usable products. They don't want consumers to have a local storage solution, because they need it in the cloud to sell it and probably have it get compromised at some point. Because let's be real, they all do. 

Tim1234
Star
Star

That explains. Not exactly clever. Have already used a generic mount. Not really happy about this arrangement

Tim1234
Star
Star

One major concern. Currently, if the Internet goes AWOL for any reason there is no possibility of a local recording and obviously no chance of a remote recording. This is a major weakness until such time that the 2nd generation cameras have a firmware upgrade. When, and if, this happens hopefully one will not have to uninstall and then reinstall otherwise a major hassle for such people as myself with cameras at multiple sites. Needs sorting.

Tim1234
Star
Star

Hopefully a simple explanation. Battery life of 2nd generation seems to be shorter significantly compared with 1st generation. Also seems to charge far faster. I have 4 and all 4 much the same. If this just me orbhas anyone else noticed?

dezmangos
Tutor
Tutor

Hi, @JamesC. Any news about the update? We are waiting for a solution to connect 2nd gen to the hubs. In my case, specifically with VMB4540. 

Mthompson
Tutor
Tutor

JamesC, you have been telling us since last October of an upcoming firmware update to link essential 2 cameras to base station. It is now 8 months later and still no date when this will be available! Great customer service!

shill_ds
Star
Star

@JamesC Our friend here is correct. When will “soon” get a date? 

Tjhastings
Star
Star

It’s now July 4 Independence Day, any word on the update to enable hub compatibility and HomeKit ? 

Tim1234
Star
Star

I wish! Almost useless without. Also the app itself could do with updating, being able to access local recordings without being on line

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Base Station and HomeKit compatibility for Gen 2 devices is still planned for a future firmware update, but I do not have a date available for when that update will be released at this time. Once I have more information available to share, I will update the community here.

JamesC

Piper17
Tutor
Tutor

It’s almost a year later.   Can the 2k gen 2 camera connect to any base station or Alexa yet?

Tim1234
Star
Star

As far as am aware, no. From my point of view makes them almost useless

Tim1234
Star
Star

Not only that but if the Internet goes down no recordings are made. Useless.

Tim1234
Star
Star

If local recordings were possible it would not matter if Internet goes down. My hubs are on dedicated ups's so power not a problem. Desirable to be able to view local recordings if Internet down also. That way there would be no problems.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team is continuing to work on the firmware update to allow for Gen 2 devices to integrate with Base Stations/SmartHubs. I do not have an ETA for when this update will be available but I will provide more information as it becomes available.

JamesC

Mthompson
Tutor
Tutor

no need to rush anymore as it is almost a year on this promise. As these cameras are no good to me without a base station, I have returned them!

Piper17
Tutor
Tutor

Probably just going to return them and buy a different brand that allows video recording.  This seems like a scheme to sell a monthly subscription that will escalate like cable tv.  No thanks.  Just fix it and you can keep your sales.  

Tjhastings
Star
Star

Hi I rang customer service middle last year and they said quarter three this year, it’s now quarter three . Can we get an indication of dates .

shill_ds
Star
Star

It’s never coming. Three months from now they will announce that it’s too challenging and they can’t completely it. 

Tim1234
Star
Star

Should not really be a problem as has been done with generation 1. There must be a serious problem that we are not aware of,such as beaurocratic crap. The sooner it is done though the better. If local recordings are not going to be available and preferrably when off line as well am tempted to ditch arlo altogether. A pity because apart from the generation 2 local problem an overall good system

Horus2
Aspirant
Aspirant

We just installed our cameras this week. It was very easy and they work great! My question is, do the feeds go anywhere besides the devices my wife and I have connected to it? Are they also going to the cloud or elsewhere?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Horus2 wrote:

Are they also going to the cloud or elsewhere?

Yes.  All the recordings that you see in the app (and my.arlo.com) are stored in the Arlo Cloud.

dezmangos
Tutor
Tutor

Sorry to say that, but you have to pay (a lot of money) to have access to feed.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@dezmangos wrote:

Sorry to say that, but you have to pay (a lot of money) to have access to feed.

It does require a subscription.  The cost varies by country.

RachelV
Initiate
Initiate

I purchased the 2nd gen essential and have the most updated app. I also live in the US. When I try to add my VMC3052 and VMC 3060, these cameras are not an option at all under essential cameras, or anywhere else I can see. How do I connect these cameras if the app is not showing them as an option? Please help!!