Camera keeps going offline

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
Pam66
Aspirant
Aspirant

Purchased an Essential Outdoor 2nd Gen camera. The camera keeps going offline. Checked WiFi connectivity, signal strength, etc all checks out fine. Network strength shows strong, however the camera goes offline randomly. It eventually comes back online, sometimes within minutes, sometimes hours or days later. Need some guidance on what could be causing the problem. 

Best answers
  • BrookeN
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

I have reached out to our development team to investigate the behavior you are seeing. I will update the community as soon as possible. 

17 REPLIES 17
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It could be 2.4GHz interference. Try moving the camera to a different location to see if that fixes the issue.

Pam66
Aspirant
Aspirant

Moved camera, no difference. Here’s what I’ve observed so far.
Camera seems to go offline mostly at night. 

Once motion is detected in that area, within minutes camera comes back online and stays on until the following night. 
Other devices ( including cameras) aren’t dropping off. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

How close are you to the nearest neighbor's house? Just wondering if their WiFi is interfering with the signal. You can use a WiFi app on your phone to check during the day and then at night to see if there's a difference while standing next to the camera.

Pam66
Aspirant
Aspirant

An update to this issue.  After over a month going back and forth with support, this issue was not resolved.  All of a sudden it stopped going offline, then after almost a month it started all over again.  Last update from support was to move camera near router, check wifi connectivity, make sure you are on 2.4 ghz network, check upload speed on internet, ask isp for increase of upload speed, etc.  Nothing worked.  Frustrated at lack of personal support given, it's like they are reading off of the support articles already written from Arlo, of which I have already read.   I have computer knowledge as well as network knowledge, but I can't imagine someone without some network knowledge trying to get these gen 2 cameras to work.  Anyway, it's going offline again, we walk out create motion, and it comes back online.  If anyone has had this issue and has solved it, I would love to hear from them.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I have reached out to support so they can look into this further with you. They will be reaching out as soon as possible. 

Kelvingap
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a same issue the camera goes offline and can't connect, no response and motion detected logo appear on apps but keep connecting then frozen. Checked WIFI under 2.4Ghz, no issue found on other cameras when its connect to my base station.

Pam66
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sorry you are having same issue but glad it’s not just me. Hopefully this can get resolved. 

KWB2
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue. It worked well for a while then started to disconnect and uninstalled cameras from app. Had to reinstall cameras on app but disconnected and uninstalled by itself again and again. 

Pam66
Aspirant
Aspirant

When we first got the camera it was going offline constantly. Support said it needed a firmware update. Took camera down and updated camera. Condition still persisted. Support had me check signal strength, it was always strong. Camera stopped going offline for about two weeks then started all over again. Now it goes offline and online at various times thru the day. When it goes offline, if you walk in front of it, in about five minutes time it does came back online. 

prunesquallor
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’m having the same issue. Camera about 18 feet away from neighbors house in a narrow side yard, dark too.

It seems to be about the location. I swapped the camera with another identical camera that had been working fine.

Within hours, the new camera in the problem spot was going offline, and the other location was just fine.

i haven’t contacted support bc i knew it would be useless, as the original poster experienced.

I’ll try moving the camera next, which is too bad, the original spot was perfect.

sean_wong
Aspirant
Aspirant

@ Pam
I too have professional experience.
I recently got a 4 pack and 3/4 will not maintain their boot sequence to the updated Firmware.
I ended up after 96 hours of wasted effort logged a ticket and had the issue of out of date Firmware raised to 2nd level support. The Level 1 help desk response was 'known issue, re-mediation is under way' try hard reset ( 25 seconds on the button) and re add to the App.

Check your Firmware levels against the latest set. I've learnt that my old set of Arlos whilst simple are probably currently better than the new range. I'm mildly unhappy but at least hte New Solar panels are not the same $ as last time and have seals on the ports.

Engineers are working on it .... which means that ... they are overloaded or don't have the best toolchain.
https://community.arlo.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/Arlo-Firmware-Release-Table/m-p/1920885

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@prunesquallor wrote:

It seems to be about the location. I swapped the camera with another identical camera that had been working fine.

Try testing your internet speed at the camera location using your phone.

Use the free Ookla (speedtest) app.  Turn off mobile data during the test, to make sure you are testing your home wifi speed.

Upload speed is more important than download for the cameras.  The app will also report packet loss, which also could be a factor at the location.

sean_wong
Aspirant
Aspirant

Double Check your Firmware is up to latest
WiFi Channel overlap is very common on 2.4  spectrum, which is why the standards evolved. unfortunately your cameras may be in range of many WiFi Access points  /range extenders and routers offering connection automatically. Unfortunately they may be  hearing many more signals than just your own router.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Can you please provide app version as well as what type of device you are using?

Pam66
Aspirant
Aspirant

App 5.0.2

Essentials outdoor gen 2 VMC 3050

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I have reached out to our development team to investigate the behavior you are seeing. I will update the community as soon as possible. 

Pam66
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks so much!!