Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Will The Arlo Doorbell Work On A 48 Volt AC Existing Mech Chime

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
axehandle
Follower
Follower

I've read through a number of posts on the Arlo doorbell and existing chime issues.  I'm looking to buy a camera system with a doorbell included.  I see the doorbell is listed at 8v to 24v AC for an existing chime voltage range.  I have an older mechanical chime operating at 48v AC, wondering if that might work, or if its too far out of the specified voltage range?  Has anyone tried this high of AC voltage?  

1 REPLY 1
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@axehandle wrote:

I've read through a number of posts on the Arlo doorbell and existing chime issues.  I'm looking to buy a camera system with a doorbell included.  I see the doorbell is listed at 8v to 24v AC for an existing chime voltage range.  I have an older mechanical chime operating at 48v AC, wondering if that might work, or if its too far out of the specified voltage range?  Has anyone tried this high of AC voltage?  

I would take the spec at face value here.  You might be able to do something tricky with a relay and votage converter or a separate 24 V transformer, but it would take some thought and some electrical design know-how.  Since the Arlo doorbell does not use the wired doorbell power as a power source, there is chance it might not care too much, but you would risking your purchase price to get the answer to your question.  It would probably be cheaper to replace your existing 48 volt transformer and chime with one that meets the arlo spec.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation