Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Existing doorbell won’t stop chiming.

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
Kmm1482
Tutor
Tutor
Any wiring suggestions if when I connect my Audio Doorbell my existing doorbell chime won’t stop chiming? Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Stebo42
Aspirant
Aspirant

Similar issue.  1 and 3, regardless of the wiring configuration complete the circuit for a “ding” and then a buzz at the NuTone chime.  Once I disconnect the wires I get the “dong”.  It is almost like the circuit is complete within the system the entire time once power is flowing.  Definitely not an issue with my mechanical chime and original doorbell which will be up and running until either Arlo fixes the issue, sends me a product that works, or I return their stuff because it does not work as advertised.  FYI, 16VAC NuTone chime, less than 3 months old.  

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Mine isn't connected to a existing chime so guessing here. Have you tried the different switch settings in the doorbell?

Kmm1482
Tutor
Tutor
Yeah, if I put it on 1, the chime goes continuously. 3 and 2, nothing happens
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Kmm1482,

What is the make/model of your existing chime?

JamesC

Kmm1482
Tutor
Tutor
I really don’t know. Just a generic doorbell that was here when I moved in
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Kmm1482,

It sounds like it could be a compatibility issue with your existing chime. If you can get the make and model of the chime, I can forward that information to engineering for investigation.

JamesC

Aneyra
Aspirant
Aspirant
Mine is doing the same thing. I have a Nicor 18888 which provides a 12v DC. I bet that's the issue. Looks like we'll need a new door chime whose output is AC.
Cpags01
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the exact same problem. Went and replaced chime mechanism and that didn't resolve the problem. Had to use the battery powered option but now my existing doorbell doesn't ring. Not wanting to buy the chimer from Arlo. Frustrated! This should work.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I know virtually nothing about this problem but I have seen that some doorbell cams supply a diode to convert the AC chime voltage to DC (sorta). Has anyone tried putting a diode across the chime wires?

Kmm1482
Tutor
Tutor
Yeah, the older existing doorbell had one attached. Tried it on the Arlo doorbell, got the same result unfortunately
Kmm1482
Tutor
Tutor
I think that’s probably what it is as well. I guess I’ll just have to get an Arlo Chime
Kmm1482
Tutor
Tutor
I can’t take the housing off of the chime. I think I’ll jist have to get an Arlo chime
Irwan55
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem too. Any solutions from netgear to the problem?

Aneyra
Aspirant
Aspirant

Any updates on this issue?  Or will the system not work at all with units providing a 12v DC to the door switch?

Kmm1482
Tutor
Tutor
I’ve given up on trying to get it to work. I bought an Arlo Chime to just be done with it.
Miller1
Guide
Guide
I had a similar problem. I swapped the doorbell wires on the back of the arlo doorbell and it worked. It says in the instructions that it doesn’t matter which terminal the two wires are individually screwed in, however, it made a difference for me.
Duckster7
Aspirant
Aspirant
After reading the “fixes” here I decided to try switching my wires . Prior to that, 1 & 2 did nothing and 3 chimed continuously. After I switched the wires. 2 & 3 did nothing and 1 chimed continuously. Didn’t really help me. I do think Arlo needs to fix their crap. Shouldn’t have to buy an Arlo chime because they can’t make their door bell compatible.
Stebo42
Aspirant
Aspirant

Similar issue.  1 and 3, regardless of the wiring configuration complete the circuit for a “ding” and then a buzz at the NuTone chime.  Once I disconnect the wires I get the “dong”.  It is almost like the circuit is complete within the system the entire time once power is flowing.  Definitely not an issue with my mechanical chime and original doorbell which will be up and running until either Arlo fixes the issue, sends me a product that works, or I return their stuff because it does not work as advertised.  FYI, 16VAC NuTone chime, less than 3 months old.  

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation