Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
jharj
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have tried setting up the Arlo Doorbell to my existing connections.  Like other users have stated, there's a constant buzzing on 1 and 3 with nothing on 2.  The solutions I've seen on here indicate a Traditional Chime toggle switch in the settings for the doorbell, which I do not have on my app. 

Under customize, I only have the Silent Mode option.  When that is active I get the Incoming Call option. 

Nothing I do brings up the Traditional Chime option. 

If I enter the device settings, the first section only has Battery, Connected To, and Device info.  No Traditional Chime option there either. 

Is there something I'm missing?

155 REPLIES 155
Chrischavez74
Guide
Guide

im over arlo products!!! I have 10 cameras at my business and 5 at my home. The crap doesnt work when you need it too 

Retired_Member
Not applicable
Responding to this thread after reading through it and experiencing the same frustrations myself. I was finally able to get the doorbell to trigger my existing chime on setting 2 since I have a mechanical chime. Another user has already posted this solution on this same thread, but I can confirm that the issues I experienced arose from the iOS app. Since I am an iPhone user, the only way I was able to get it to work was to download Arlo from the Google Play store on my wife’s Chromebook. Once I logged into my Arlo account - Bingo - the settings that are “missing” in the iOS app were now available. I toggled “Traditional Chime” to ON/green, and now my doorbell works.
RichWen
Tutor
Tutor

Was on with Arlo support this morning concerning my traditional chime not working with the Arlo doorbell.  I have IOS devices but these cannot work at this time to get the traditional chime to function.  Probably because the traditional doorbell doesn't even show up under the doorbell device.  I used my Google Chromebook and deleted the doorbell and then pushed the sync button on the doorbell unit (held for 10 seconds) to reinitialize it like it was new again.  Followed the Chromebook instructions to add the new doorbell unit and now it works again.  It hasn't worked for at least 6 weeks.  Pretty sure Arlo had a malfunction with their new firmware update back in June when my cameras stopped working on motion at that time as well.  The cameras came back fine after a couple hours but the doorbell never did work on the ding dong unit until I tried this.

RichWen
Tutor
Tutor

Was on with Arlo support this morning concerning my traditional chime not working with the Arlo doorbell.  I have IOS devices (Even with the new 12.4 version) but these cannot work at this time to get the traditional chime to function.  Probably because the traditional doorbell doesn't even show up under the doorbell device.  I used my Google Chromebook and deleted the doorbell and then pushed the sync button on the doorbell unit (held for 10 seconds) to reinitialize it like it was new again.  Followed the Chromebook instructions to add the new doorbell unit and now it works again.  It hasn't worked for at least 6 weeks.  Pretty sure Arlo had a malfunction with their new firmware update back in June when my cameras stopped working on motion at that time as well.  The cameras came back fine after a couple hours but the doorbell never did work on the ding dong unit until I tried this.

MrKeet
Aspirant
Aspirant

When I first installed the doorbell back in May the traditional chime worked as designed. Switch in position 2 and traditional chime was in the option menu.

About a month ago the chime stopped working, although my iPhone would ring when doorbell pressed. Read through a lot of post and saw some success using Chromebook or Android. Then I found the post saying that the iPad has a different menu to the iPhone. Well it does, currently. 

So those of you lucky enough to have access to an iPad can go to the ‘device settings’ option under doorbell (you can get to it by tapping on the three pips, top right hand corner) and you should then see the option for traditional chime. You can then complete the configuration as per instructions. 

RichWen
Tutor
Tutor

I have iPhones and iPads.  My IOS versions are al updated to 12.4 yesterday.  All I see under doorbell is Battery, Connected to, Device Info then under another subheading of Audio, it says Audio Settings.  Unfortunately there is no Traditional Chime under the Device Info like it says with the Chromebook.  I do remember seeing it there back in May, but it hasn’t been there since.  I find it interesting that you can see it though. I’m also running the Arlo App firmware of 2.7.12.  I compared both iphone to iPad and they are identical without the traditional chime present.

MrKeet
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’m still on 12.3.1 on both iPhone and iPad and located in the UK. 

MrKeet
Aspirant
Aspirant

Here’s the screenshot when I go to the traditional chime setup menu. It wasn’t connected at first but now it is.

RichWen
Tutor
Tutor

Hello MrKeet.  So if your running 12.3.1 on IOS and Arlo App 2.7.12...Wondering if The Apple App has an error in it that isn’t producing the traditional chime.  I’m located in British Columbia, Canada.  Hopefully Arlo reads these forums to help resolve these issues.  Thanks for the reply.

RichWen
Tutor
Tutor

MrKeet.  I guess that’s what I get for keeping my devices up to date.  Attached is a snapshot of my iPad and it’s current Arlo doorbell device settings.

MrKeet
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi RichWen the last screenshot  is where I was able to configure traditional chime on the iPad. Before configuring I think it said ‘setup chime’. After configuring the option now shows ’Disconnect’ right at the bottom in red. I would press it but knowing my luck the option to setup again might disappear. 😩

RichWen
Tutor
Tutor

Hello MrKeet.  There isn’t any mention of traditional chime in any settings on this IOS device.  It does however say that you can add a chime under Paired Devices similar to what I’ve done pairing the doorbell to the Front door camera, but other than that...the traditional chime has disappeared.

Moon216
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same issue that other users of the Arlo Doorbell have incurred. It is connected properly but will not ring when set to #2 and the doorbell chimes buzz non-stop if set on #1 or #3. I have gone into the app and opened the device settings for the doorbell and DO NOT see where I can change chime to Traditional Chime. Please help before I break this doorbell out of frustration.

randalgilliland
Aspirant
Aspirant

Has anyone been able to fix this issue or has Arlo contacted you ?

@Moto286 wrote:

Just got all the cameras and the doorbell camera set up went great however I  Just installed the Arlo Doorbell into  existing wiring to use existing chime . It won’t trigger the bell in the house in position 2. In position 1 and 3 it causes a buzz in the exsisting bell like the doorbell button is being held down and won’t trigger the bell. Only trigger  my phones and camera . How do I fix this ? 

RichWen
Tutor
Tutor

Hello Randal.  Arlo hasn’t contacted me yet about this.  I just checked the difference between my IOS devices versus the google chrome laptop and the apps are different.  My IOS devices do not give me an indication of tradional chime in the settings but the google device says traditional chime “connected”.  After PLENTY of hours trying to get the doorbell to work with my iPad or iPhone, I tried the new google chrome laptop.  By removing the device first from Arlo, then adding the device and then pushing the resync button on the doorbell for at least 10 seconds (or until the doorbell’s led ring flashes fast).  I then follow the Arlo instructions by getting it to get the latest firmware for the base station, then find the doorbell...and at the end when I’ve connected the doorbell back onto the attached wiring base, I try the doorbell, it works.  IN MY OPINION, THE TRADIONAL CHIME WILL NOT CONNECT WITH AN IOS DEVICE.  It will only work with others that have the traditional chime showing in the settings of the doorbell.F618D0B6-7B57-4D2D-A34E-537095C2A380.jpeg8FB32350-C893-47D2-8FDC-3E58718EFDA2.png

Dbensette
Luminary
Luminary

I was contacted this morning by two different tech support advisors from Arlo. Both of them informed me that there is an update to the doorbell now out and to update it to 1.2.0.0_309_283 to fix the issue with iOS devices.

I myself cannot find the update for this, even after hard resetting my doorbell to re install.

Can anyone else see this update version for their doorbell?

RichWen
Tutor
Tutor

Hello Dbensette

I went on my Arlo just now on my IOS device and went to the doorbell settings.  On the firmware line, there is an arrow at the end to update the firmware of the doorbell.  Mine is 1.2.0.0_297_268 and I click on the arrow but it tells me my firmware is up to date.  But there is an orange circle next to the doorbell under devices which is probably telling me something but I’m not sure what at this time.  If you have a different type of device like Google Chrome or Android device, you may have more success.

Dbensette
Luminary
Luminary
Mine doesn’t show anything like that on my iOS device. No updates available.

I only have iOS devices unfortunately.
RichWen
Tutor
Tutor

Concerning the doorbell chime...it stopped working on the traditional chime and linked to my phone.  The base station had an orange light on saying that it was having a problem with the internet connection.  I rebooted the base station.  My 2 Arlo pro 2 cameras came back but not the doorbell.  I was just about to remove it and resync it with my iPad but thought it works better when I resync it with the google chrome laptop.  I connected the google chrome laptop to the base station, and BOOM.  The doorbell appeared and is working fine again.  Went onto my iOS device and it was all good again.  IOS app is of no use when syncing the doorbell at this time, in my opinion.  I’m also reading that the latest firmware is interfering with the USB device and the doorbell.  Maybe if you have a USB device plugged in, remove it.  Then try to resync the doorbell.  I’m removing my USB device to see if the doorbell remains synced.  Good luck.

csse
Aspirant
Aspirant
My existing, traditional chime has not been working UNTIL NOW!! 😊 I bought the arlo chime unit because I could not get it to work. But with the latest update I suddenly heard both chimes going off! Surprised to say the least!
Mauroar
Aspirant
Aspirant
Exactly. Same here.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This issue should be resolved with the latest firmware release for the Arlo Audio Doorbell.

Please take a look at the release notes here and let us know if you still experience this issue.

Arlo Audio Doorbell - 1.2.0.0_309_283 – 8th August 2019

JamesC

jharj
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi James, 

I have updated the app and started the process from the beginning and it still does not work.   Still nothing on setting 2, and buzzing on settings 1 and 3. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @jharj

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

RichWen
Tutor
Tutor

Hello jharj.  They got back to me yesterday and said that the last east firmware update on the doorbell should have fixed this.  It is 1.2.0.0_309_283.  Everything is still working for about the last 7 days or so since I last synced the doorbell with the google chrome laptop.  That means the iOS devices get a call and the traditional chime works when the doorbell is pressed.  I’m just going to leave it alone as it is working fine now.