Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

motokochan
Star
Star

Has anyone else had issues with the volume of the doorbell when using the two-way audio? The sound of the person at the door is quite clear and loud on the phone, but when you speak back to the person at the doorbell it's very quiet even at 95% volume.

I've been in contact with Arlo support, and was told the engineering team could reproduce the issue, but the lack of comments on here about this issue make me wonder if the unit I have is just defective and an exchange for a new one would be a good idea.

164 REPLIES 164
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, I have also had the hourly recording, usually just at night but not always. The camera has a slight view of the doorbell and I can see the ring light on the doorbell flashing so it thinks it detected something. I switched from having the doorbell detect to just have the camera do the detection. That way I get the ability to adjust sensitivity, too, which the doorbell doesn't have.

Blinx
Tutor
Tutor
The automated messages are incredibly faint. I was unable to have the doorbell play any sound from my phone when it called. Why is the speaker not able to draw power from the existing wiring of the doorbell? I'm not sure if this is a great alternative to the competition....
Blinx
Tutor
Tutor
Really expected better maximum volume capabilities for this doorbell
schumaku
Master
Master

@Blinx wrote:
Why is the speaker not able to draw power from the existing wiring of the doorbell?

Because there is no usable voltage on the two wires - the doorbell does just close the loop to provide power to the bell. Doing so would require rewiring, additional cable/wire to the doorbell and last but not least because there are many different systems (from a few volts DC to 230 V AC) there would be a major hardware effort be required.

---
Please click on thumbs up if this answer was useful - thank you!
rseward
Apprentice
Apprentice
Almost every other manufacturer (Ring, Nest, etc...) are able to power their devices from the existing doorbell transformer/wiring.
bowserb46
Apprentice
Apprentice

"Almost every other manufacturer (Ring, Nest, etc...) are able to power their devices from the existing doorbell transformer/wiring."

In all fairness, power from an existing doorbell has its own set of problems.  Read through some Ring reviews and you'll find that often the existing doorbell transformer is the wrong voltage or has some other problem.  Also, some older homes may have damaged or broken wiring, making a wireless doorbell the only option.  For those reasons, Ring also offers a battery-only edition.  That one suffers from the need to maximize battery life, which results in compromised functionality when compared to the doorbell transformer powered version.  In my particular case, the homebuilder put the doorbell button in an odd location--odd enough that a lot of people never even saw it.  Arlo's battery powered doorbell can be mounted anywhere, and since it is not also a video camera, doesn't have the serious power issues that the battery powered Ring unit does.

All that said, it does appear that the Arlo doorbell was rushed into production without sufficient R&D, with the low volume being the big problem.  I was able to get a version 1.3 replacement for my original, and that one is OK, but just barely.  Volume setting must be at max, and if there is a truck passing (I'm in Katy Texas surrounded by hillbillies, who all drive Xtra large pickup trucks!) then someone at the door will miss what I'm saying to him/her.  A bargain priced accessory speaker/mic would be nice.

rseward
Apprentice
Apprentice
I’m not very familiar with the issues associated with those products as I’ve never owned, or used them. I also recognize that everyone’s requirement are different, and there’s really no “one size fits all” solution.
I do know that the original Ring door bell (maybe the current gen as well) was battery powered, and the power from the doorbell transformer was used to trickle charger that battery. So the homeowner never had to change or charge the batteries.
Also, from personal experience, I’d say it’s safe to assume that many of the issues reported, as it relates to powering those products are due to improper installation.
That said, I’m sure part of Arlo’s decision to make the product battery power only was to keep it installation friendly, and minimize issues associated with improper installation, which would reflect negatively on the product.
Come to find out, that really didn’t matter as product has been a failure as was their new Ulta cameras.
schumaku
Master
Master

@rseward wrote:
Almost every other manufacturer (Ring, Nest, etc...) are able to power their devices from the existing doorbell transformer/wiring.

On the push buton most installations don't have power - it's just a loop to close by the push button. Figure...

---
RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Installed the replacement hardware version 1.3 on Feb 2.  One month later, battery voltage still at 95%.

So, better volume, much better battery life.

Sschochet1
Tutor
Tutor

Their inability to address and their lack of response to this thread on their forum makes me rethink my faith in the entire Arlo platform.  They seem to have decent resale value on e-bay(except for the doorbell), maybe that's the best route.  

Maxxxxy
Initiate
Initiate

I returned my defective doorbell for a refund when I realized that there was a volume problem.  I will likely purchase the improved model when it's available in stores.  I wonder when that will be?

Cwmmmm
Luminary
Luminary
@JamesC we need answers on this doorbell problem !!!! Come on, tell us what’s going to come out soon we need hope, and until the new product comes out what hardware doorbell do we get???
UNCHeelYeah
Initiate
Initiate
I'm very concerned after reading this is apparently a prevalent issue, but I've seen little in the way of suggestions, and support. I have the 2 camera, base station, and doorbell, as well as the Arlo Q, all unopened, and sadly, am considering returning it all. I have $700 invested, and considered buying the doorbell chime, too. Rather than spending another $50, I might return, although I hear the cameras are great. I dont know why Netgear doesnt address this. And it seems like battery life on all products is exaggerated. Lastly, why include an external power adapter that is only 6' long? Why not 10'? C'mon, man.

schumaku
Master
Master
Netgear won't do it anymore because Arlo is it's own independent business.

These USB power supplies (for the cameras, I guess you talk about these) are a little critical - the longer the cable, the more voltage loss. Yes, for an Arlo Q one tend to mount higher up on a wall the cables are a little bit short. I had argued this during the Arlo Q Beta already 8-/ as these hanging power supplies half up the wall don't look that great indeed.

---
Dirtfisher
Star
Star
I have all my cameras hard wired and my longest run is about 30ft. I got white usb cable from monoprice and placed sealant on connects been up for 2 years no issues no loss on voltage I been @ 100 % the whole time
Droidius
Initiate
Initiate

I had no volume when speaking, but the preset messages worked fine. I didn't even bother dealing with support, since if it didn't work right out of the box, I'm not interested. I'm certain they continue to know this is an issue and continue to manufactor the doorbells. Unfortunate, since it's a great idea, but it has to work as described. I might consider going to a Ring or Nest door bell if Arlo can't get it right in the near future. 

tomtho
Star
Star

Same here! Couldn't beleive how quiet it was, visitors cant even hear me.

WWWrpi
Guide
Guide

I also have a motion phenomona occuring with my doorbell motion sensor.  Whenever it goes off I get a series of alarms 1 hour apart.  I have hardware version 1.2 and am waiting for my version 1.3.  I ended up turning the motion dection on the doorbell and relying on my camera.

Zircon1
Tutor
Tutor
This doorbell is junk. I’m very dissatisfied with Arlo. We pay a premium price for their product thinking they will stand behind them but instead they are just like any cheap vendor. I spent a good 40 minutes with their support they pretended they don’t know about the issue. They wanted my to give them the device model and version for all the devices that I tried. Then I stumbled in this page and told them it’s a known issue with V1.2. Once the agent realized it is he then gave me a hard time for sending a replacement. He needed the exact date and location of purchase which I don’t know the doorbell was a gift from my daughter. I told them that I’m not trying to return it why do they need information about the purchase. The product is bad and within warranty period they have the serial and arlo account just fix the darn thing. He disagreed then I told him that if I have to ask for the purchase receipt I would just return it. He said that’s fine. Keep in mind that I already have an all arlo setup with 4 cameras. So I told him then I would switch the whole system. He said it’s fine. So this tells you that Arlo knowingly will not stand behind a defective product. Waste of time and effort. They just lost a loyal type of customer. I will take my business somewhere else. So thank you Rep Kenneth Brylle J for not helping a customer today
Mattlick12
Tutor
Tutor
The v 1.3 is better with sound but can’t be used to trigger motion recording on a camera. If you do it falsely registers motion. That said if you don’t use it for that I would suggest calling back, telling them you were disconnected and just tell them the date you got it as a gift. If you’re going to return it you would at least have the store name. I also got mine as a gift and just gave them approximate dates and told them where I assumed they bought it and I had no issue with the exchange.
Zircon1
Tutor
Tutor
I think what wrong with America today is that consumers are willing to accept inferior workmanship. Which in turn manufacturer and vendors take advantage of by allowing product that do not meet minimum quality on the market. Why do we (consumers) have to jump through hoops to get a product that the manufacturer knows is bad replaced? This product is basically a lemon because you cannot use it as is for what it is designed. So it’s not functional. Arlo shoul thank each customer when we call them to tell them about this lemon. And not only they should replace it but go above and beyond that. Give a discount or rebate for future product. Not argue with us about replacing it or returning it.

A very bad customer service strategy and a very bad product. I’m completely turned off by this product. Netgear you used to be a decent company what happened to you???
Sschochet1
Tutor
Tutor

I've been watching this thread grow for months and haven't seen anything of substance from Netgear.  My Arlo doorbell has since shorted out my doorbell transformer as well.  I think I'd be foolish if I didn't buy a Ring when Prime Day rolls around again.  That said I think Arlo/Netgear is short sighted thinking I'd want their cameras once I need to start using Ring's App and can add their flood light cameras.  

Netgear/Arlo will you ever respond to us with a resolution/solution?

Zircon1
Tutor
Tutor

@Mattlick12 wrote:
The v 1.3 is better with sound but can’t be used to trigger motion recording on a camera. If you do it falsely registers motion. That said if you don’t use it for that I would suggest calling back, telling them you were disconnected and just tell them the date you got it as a gift. If you’re going to return it you would at least have the store name. I also got mine as a gift and just gave them approximate dates and told them where I assumed they bought it and I had no issue with the exchange.

I followed your advice and gave them an approximate date and they were able to process the replacement request. But what a hassle it was to call and ask where the item was purchased. luckily my daughter remembered the store. I will post an update once I get the 1.3 version 

MtElliottEsq
Aspirant
Aspirant

Has anyone tried connecting an external speaker to the doorbell? I get the possible power issue regarding hooking the doorbell up to house power, but that battery is doing fine for me. What about rewiring the built-in speaker to go to an external speaker? Besides the low volume, the doorbell does not look like something someone would talk to, so if I could mount the more usual type of speaker grille next to it, I think it would be more intuitive as well as provide better volume.

Seems like you would just need to know the built-in speaker specs to confirm the input and then you could build a simple amplifier with an LM 386 chip and misc. to power, say an 8 ohm 3" speaker. Am I completely off-base here? Besides voiding the warranty on the doorbell, any other issues that I may not be considering? I'm thinking build a weatherproof box to hold the doorbell and the amplified speaker kit, battery powered (9V) and mount it in the wall next to the door.

MtElliottEsq
Aspirant
Aspirant