Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

motokochan
Star
Star

Has anyone else had issues with the volume of the doorbell when using the two-way audio? The sound of the person at the door is quite clear and loud on the phone, but when you speak back to the person at the doorbell it's very quiet even at 95% volume.

I've been in contact with Arlo support, and was told the engineering team could reproduce the issue, but the lack of comments on here about this issue make me wonder if the unit I have is just defective and an exchange for a new one would be a good idea.

164 REPLIES 164
Flad
Aspirant
Aspirant

volume for both caller and reciver is way to to low, I cant hear the caller and they cant hear me.. Arlo please let us know wha the status of a fix or is there none? 

JG81
Initiate
Initiate
The doorbell speaker is garbage. I really wanted it to work but you can barely hear it. Why would they put this out? Arlo should have more pride in their brand before putting out a faulty product.
Raambo
Guide
Guide
I missed a call from the level 2 support last week but they emailed saying they will try again this week. I will update everyone what they say.

I am at least glad that there is others who have issues with the doorbell.
QuantumDog46
Guide
Guide

Thanks. It will be interesting to hear what the company has to say.

QuantumDog46
Guide
Guide

Yes, I have the low volume issue with both of our phones - an iPhone Xr and a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 running Android 5.0.

Amyliz
Guide
Guide
I returned mine to Amazon. No problems with the return. The prior one I bought Best Buy took back no problem. I think everyone should return them if they can. That may be the best way to get a response. Arlo needs to go back to the drawing board. I bought two and both had issues. Pretty much useless devices. The camera are still solid.
bowserb46
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just thought I'd add a "me too" to the thread.  Presumably the device is as loud as it can be.  Best solution might be an accessory speaker--bargain priced--to supplement the weak sound from the doorbell.  Our front door is in a small alcove with a four foot wall on the left side and 12 feet on the other, so the sound is about as contained as it can be.  Still pretty low.  If there are no cars passing and no other noise, you can hear fairly clearly, but those optimum conditons are rare.

tdelrio
Initiate
Initiate

what is the issue with the volume??  Yet again somone was at my door and hit the doorbell button.. my phone rings.. the video SLOWLY comes up and neither one of us could understand one another.  The volume at the doorbell is HORRIBLE!  Can I send this back?  I already upgraded the firmware... per Arlo instructrions, pull batteries.  IT SUCKS!  

tdelrio
Initiate
Initiate

I waitied to long...waiting for them to fix the issue.  I own a worthless doorbell now

ifdbake
Initiate
Initiate
I have an Android phone and still have low volume too. Sure doesn't sound like support is being honest with us. ARLO, WE KNOW YOU LOOK AT THESE FORUMS, THE LEAST YOU CAN DO IS UPDATE YOUR CUSTOMERS AS TO WHAT YOU ARE DOING ABOUT THIS "KNOWN ISSUE"! It doesn't say much for what you think of the customers who pay for your products.
QuantumDog46
Guide
Guide

Today we deactivated our Audio Doorbell and are taking it back to Best Buy.

jrlord12
Initiate
Initiate

Hi JamesC - Any progress on this? It really is not usable as is and is really frustrating.  My phone rings, I answer, but the person cannot hear me.

jrlord12
Initiate
Initiate

Arlo Doorbell.JPG

Raambo
Guide
Guide
I spoke with the level 2 support last week (they finally called) and they are pushing my claim to the engineering department. They said they should be contacting me in order to help with the issue. I will update any information as I get it.

I agree it’s rather frustrating having an item that barely works...
Deckster
Initiate
Initiate

Hey ARLO! Pay attention!

I had this doorbell in my Amazon cart and was about proceed to checkout. But then I read some of the reviews about the sound being low. And then I found this entire thread in the Arlo community. The worst part for me was that you seem to refuse to respond and give the people any sort of clue as to when (and IF) you will ever have a doorbell with a proper speaker. 

I also read where the Nest doorbells were too loud a while back. Boy I wish Arlo's doorbell was too loud instead of too quiet - because I got solutions for things that are too loud!

Anyway, I didn't buy the doorbell. So now that I helped you out a little by reducing the amount of returns you were going to have to deal with from retailers, can you please get on here and tell me and these people when we can expect a decent doorbell? Even if it's a long way out - we may wait. But if we hear NOTHING then you may lose us and future customers to other brands. And when we're gone we're gone.

I've got some money. You want it Arlo?

ifdbake
Initiate
Initiate
Update: With no apparent interest in communicating any information to us from Arlo, I returned my doorbell to Best Buy. When I started to tell them why I was returning it they said they were already aware of the problems due to several returns. I told them I wasn't surprised. I wish I could return my cameras too. They work fine but I don't like supporting a company that has no interest in providing support to it's customers. I advise anybody that asks to check the reviews before you decide on Arlo.
Tammymcoley
Aspirant
Aspirant
I got the Arlo system for xmas. I am happy with the cameras but am NOT happy with the doorbell. The perspn at the door can not hear us at all. The volume is turned up 100% but the visitors at the door can not hear us. Our street is quiet and still there is very little sound from the doorbell unit. I wull return this doorbell and use a ring doorbell with my arlo system.
bowserb46
Apprentice
Apprentice

Tammy, welcome to the club.  Frankly, I am stunned.  By now Netgear's shipping and receiving department must have returned Arlo doorbells stacked to the ceiling, and that doesn't count those that Amazon has for sale as refurbished.  I've tinkered with mine too long to return to Amazon, but I'm thinking of contacting Arlo direct.  I bought the doorbell, then a chime when my existing mechanical chime only did the perpetual buzz, and of course I had to buy a base station for anything to work, so I'm into this thing for around $170 for a doorbell--a plain doorbell, that sounds a $50 chime, calls out on my Echo devices "Someone is at the doorbell", and places a call to mine and my wife's phones (that we don't answer since the party outside can't hear anyway.)"

I'm still hoping for a fix, but if instead the product is dropped and replaced with another, I will be really mad and will at the very least remove Arlo and Netgear from the list of brands I buy or recommend (as an I.T. consultant.)

lanemeyer
Initiate
Initiate

Adding to the group discussion, my hardware version is 1.3, same firmware version as others (1.2.0.0_275_250), and the volume is way too low, which is how I found this thread.  It does not appear that this issue has been resolved yet, and, after waiting 45 minutes in queue, I just spoke with customer support who said Engineering is still working on it with no ETA on a fix.

I think it would help to restore some faith if Arlo could officially comment to this thread on what they're doing, if anything, and when we might expect a solution.

jason78
Guide
Guide
Arlo should have pulled the product, stopped sales, and proactively reached out to their customers. The fact that they’re still selling it with not fix on the horizon (I expect there won’t be one, so I returned mine) goes beyond poor engineering into poor brand/company.
DArcher
Aspirant
Aspirant
My new doorbell has no volume for the person at the door to hear me. I have my setting at 100%. And they can not understand a word I say. Because the reply volume is so low. My camera is just a pro, with no speaker on it. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
Bartley
Luminary
Luminary

This is a known issue.There has been no direction from Arlo in this thread or through their support number. I have a ticket in with them from December 2018. I have talked to a couple support personal as well as some e-mail communnications with them. They say this ia a known issue and engineers are working on it. When I asked on several occasions if this could be fixed with a firmware update or was it a limitation of the hardware they could not tell me. They say they would let me know one way or the other. (Still has not happened) My opinion is it doesn't look good. The amount of time that they have been working on the issue with no resolution or a direction in which way they are going sounds like this cannot be fixed with a firmware update. It is a shame as this would of been a great additional feature to the security camera's. Hopefully if it is hardware they will replace these with no additional charge to the Arlo customers. In my opinion they are defective as they are advertised as a audio doorbell which would lead one with reason to believe you should be able to hear the doorbell at a normal volume level. 

1967vette
Aspirant
Aspirant

The volume on the the Arlo Audio doorbell you can barely hear.  the volume on our phone and on the doorbell is at 100% and you can barely hear, plus the voice cuts in and out.  Is there a seperate speaaker we can buy as an add on to make this work properly.  Right now it would be a joke to even try and talk to anyone thru tis doorbell/phone.  Thank You.  William and Julia Mitchell

Mattlick12
Tutor
Tutor
I received a call from tier 2 tech support today. The problem is clearly hardware because they are shipping me a replacement unit. He asked for the firmware and app version first and then indicated the device would be shipped shortly. Will update when I received the replacement unit.
RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I wonder what the latest hardware version is.