Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

motokochan
Star
Star

Has anyone else had issues with the volume of the doorbell when using the two-way audio? The sound of the person at the door is quite clear and loud on the phone, but when you speak back to the person at the doorbell it's very quiet even at 95% volume.

I've been in contact with Arlo support, and was told the engineering team could reproduce the issue, but the lack of comments on here about this issue make me wonder if the unit I have is just defective and an exchange for a new one would be a good idea.

164 REPLIES 164
RChobby
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Agreed that the volume from the doorbell to visitor is quite low. Not unusable in my opinion, but less than ideal. Makes me think of some of the very faint intercom speakers in old buildings (in poor repair) in NY City.
Mparlo
Initiate
Initiate
The audio is too quiet. I have the feeling that the lack of response from Arlo just means that this is are defective units and that it cannot be repair via firmware. I will be returning the “audio” doorbell if I don’t see any update in the coming week. They have been dealing with this issue for over a month now. Pretty disappointing.
Maxxxxy
Initiate
Initiate
Same here, the sound volume coming out of the doorbell is way too low, even at 100% volume. Unfortunately I figured this out AFTER installing the base station and the camera. It's a package deal (base station + two cameras + doorbell) so it all gets uninstalled, put back in the box, and taken back to the store for a refund.
RickyJKroeger
Guide
Guide
I'm taking mine back. There's no sense in having it if the person you're talking to can't hear you.
alien8d
Initiate
Initiate
I returned mine. Very disappointed. Not the Arlo quality that I'm used to.
Amyliz
Guide
Guide

How on earth will this be fixed with firmware? Is it too early to ask when the second generation doorbell will be released?

jason78
Guide
Guide
Yeah. Can’t imagine the guy who released this still has his job. Hopefully a ver2 hits within a few months with replacement offers to ver1 customers.
Justin012378
Aspirant
Aspirant
Still too quiet to use - same package deal and now stuck
QuantumDog46
Guide
Guide

We just purchased an Arlo Pro 4 4-pack last week and an Arlo Audio Doorbell. We installed the system over the weekend and have been testing everything since then. We too have a very low speaker volume on the doorbell; it is hard to talk to anyone at the door. Also, the microphone volume seems very low - the 'guests' voice over the phone is very low, even at maximum volume. I agree - this needs to be fixed or it's going back to the store soon. That would be unfortunate because we like that it is very responsive - we get a call within a few seconds of pushing the doorbell button.

Model AAD1001

Firmware 1.2.0.0_275_250

Hardware 1.2

S/N 5MJ28AWJ41805

Geet
Aspirant
Aspirant

Horrible!!!  Can barely hear ANY audio if you are the visitor at the doorbell location.

Dbhome
Initiate
Initiate
This s ridiculous that Arlo is not replying or responding to the doorbell volume issue. I threw away tbe box so I can not return the **bleep**. Arlo, how can you let out the product without testing? How do I get the refund?
Dbhome
Initiate
Initiate
This is ridiculous that Arlo is not replying or responding to the doorbell volume issue. I threw away tbe box so I can not return the **bleep**. Arlo, how can you let out the product without testing? How do I get the refund?
JGYISS
Initiate
Initiate
6 weeks since this thread started and no response from Arlo except a reference they are working on a solution. The volume is obviously unusable. Very disappointing they would ship a product like this. I don't see any indication that the problem only occurs for some of us, making me think it is likely consistent for this product.

I pulled the box out of the trash so I can return it. The speaker volume on the Arlo pro cameras are just as unusable. Glad I got those from Costco so I can easily return the cameras too. Very dissatisfied.
Raambo
Guide
Guide
Is there any updated news on this issue? The lack of support from Arlo is extremely disappointing and makes me think it is time to switch to another company...
Raambo
Guide
Guide
I would just like to have the current doorbell functional first. Still volume issues with no response from arlo. They need to be able to handle a simple doorbell before trying to upgrade it.
jason78
Guide
Guide
I returned mine to Best Buy two days ago. Was pretty sad and frustrated to uninstall it and spend my time making the return but it was just unusable.

Best Buy rep said a lot of people are returning these. No surprise.
Noneya
Initiate
Initiate

I have the same issue.  Is this just the product?  Is there anyone that has this product, not having this problem?

jason78
Guide
Guide
If it was firmware fixable would have thought they’d have released an update a week or two after product release.
Dirtfisher
Star
Star
My buddy works at a retailer and they get the back all the time
Raambo
Guide
Guide
Just contacted customer service. They stated it’s a known issue if you are using IPhones hmm.... I find that hard to believe. Is there anyone using Android having issues as well? Customer support said they will be having the engineering department giving me a call to troubleshoot the product.
Dirtfisher
Star
Star
Yeah add Android I got iPhone X and Samsung note all with the issue and my iPad and galaxy tablet
jason78
Guide
Guide
Haha. Don’t worry. The issue is limited to iOS and Android only.
Raambo
Guide
Guide
Figured that was just another customer service que card line. When I talk with tech I will advise him of this forum. They stated it wouldn’t be until sometime next week.
RickyJKroeger
Guide
Guide

Our phones are Android. They know the problem is universal. I hate it when customer service treats us like idiots.

nraval
Initiate
Initiate
I too am having a low volume issue. When guests ring the bell, I ask if they were able to hear me. They always respond that they could barely hear me.