Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
wayned2nd
Star
Star
When I tried to hard wire my arlo doorbell I get a buzzing/grinding sound from the chime. Any suggestions on how to correct this other than buying the arlo chime. Would really like to use my doorbell to keep it authentic.
55 REPLIES 55
Jshd
Initiate
Initiate
Found this solution in another thread. I was having the same issues as many here with settings 1 and 3 buzzing. Setting 2 would do nothing (no chime, no buzzing).

1) Go to the Doorbell in the app
2) Open Device Settings
3) Click on Traditional chime (Mine said not connected)
4) Follow the instructions

After doing this it had me set the doorbell to Setting 2 and it works perfectly.. I have a mechanical chime.
dgcramer
Initiate
Initiate

Perfect answer.

I was having exact same problem and ran back through the wizard with switch in position 2 and it now works perfectly. I believe when I first ran through wizard last week I didnt select the right type of doorbell and just wanted to test.  Now that I have it hard wired ran through wizard again and works as expected.

Thanks again.

natocamp55
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes , this is the solution for Arlo buzzing using your existing door bell chime.

GromitInWA
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks this worked for me. It looks like you need to actually connect the doorbell before progressing through the setup wizard for the setting to take effect. I did not do this initially and got the buzzing. Now it is working with a traditional electro-mechanical chime (Broan I think).
Tomatera
Star
Star
Thanks, did that. Doesn’t work for me.
Tomatera
Star
Star
Thanks, it didn’t work for mine situation
Tomatera
Star
Star
Thank you, This makes perfect sense. It should be in the instructions. I finally gave up and returned it.
I think this is a bigger problem and this answer will help others.
bowserb46
Apprentice
Apprentice

I've read all the comments here.  I did the installation in the right sequence, and I have the buzzing doorbell.  This house is only two years old.  I don't know if this matters, but the original doorbell button glows when not pressed--you know, a way to find the button in the dark.  Anyway, as soon as the arlo button is put in place it the chime starts to buzz.  Kind of disappointing. 

Also worthy of note, I don't know if the spacing of the attachment screws is non-standard for the arlo or for my existing doorbell, but they don't align.  Or maybe there is no standard, and every manufacturer just designs a button.  Ordinarily, it wouldn't be a big deal.   Just drill another hole, except in my case the doorbell button is affixed to the brick mortar, and the wires come through the mortar too.

Like a couple others here, I've let Netgear win, and I've ordered an Arlo chime from Amazon.  I thought I was getting off cheap.  I already have an 8-camera surveillance system with motion sensor recording to a DVR, so I though this doorbell was the cheap alternative to the now long-in-the-tooth-but-still-troubled Ring doorbell.  The cost of this doorbell just increased again.

Tomatera
Star
Star

Great description of the problem. Which is not addressed by Arlo. Myself, I didn’t want to add to the expense, so I returned it. I’ll wait for another generation, maybe.....

bowserb46
Apprentice
Apprentice

I think you did right, Tomotera.  It is suckers like me who allow substandard products to continue.  This clearly is a common bug, yet a lot of us, rather than return the product, just break down and buy more.  Now this doorbell is costing me $175, for the doorbell, the base station, and now a chime.  Where is the manufacturer's incentive to fix their problem, when the defect just gets them more sales!  I think I've talked myself out of it.  I'm cancelling my chime order, and I will pack up the doorbell and base station and return to Amazon.

Thanks for pointing out the folly of rewarding bad products!

thebiglebowski
Aspirant
Aspirant

got the arlo doorbell for christmas, wired it up, having this exact same issue.  constant buzzing/grinding noise on settings 1 and 3, nothing on 2.  

Tomatera
Star
Star

This is the only thing I found that may address the problem. Unfortunately I took mine back before this came through so I can’t vouch for it. 

Found this solution in another thread. I was having the same issues as many here with settings 1 and 3 buzzing. Setting 2 would do nothing (no chime, no buzzing).

1) Go to the Doorbell in the app
2) Open Device Settings
3) Click on Traditional chime (Mine said not connected)
4) Follow the instructions

After doing this it had me set the doorbell to Setting 2 and it works perfectly.. I have a mechanical chime.

KMann859
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for the info. Mine was the same. Seems that the firmware needs and upgrade or something. This fixed it for me.
davidfm12
Aspirant
Aspirant

thank you this worked great

Khada13
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you this was the exact fix for my buzzing issue!
Crappieproduct
Aspirant
Aspirant
My Arlo door bell doesn’t work with my existing door bell buzzing on 1 & 3 positions I refuse to by a chime unless this works .
I think there is a issue with this product .
I’m going to reinstall my old door bell button and take it back.
GromitInWA
Aspirant
Aspirant
^ did you actually try any of the things suggested on this thread?
Crappieproduct
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes I tried the suggestions except I’m not going to purchase a new power unit .
After switching back to my old door bell the old system works fine .
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You set the system up trying the Traditional Chime configuration in the doorbell settings?

Crappieproduct
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes
mrphixit
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo button does NOT chime my original two tone doorbell (Not digital) wth Switch set to 2

when I remove the Arlo buttton I measure 19 vac at the two brass contacts in the ARLO base. This confirma it is wired correctly.  Proceeded to connect the two contacts with a jumper and the original house bell rings. This further confirms everything except the ARLO button is working fine..

The ARLO Doorbell obviously does not provide contact closure between the two contacts to ring my bell.

If I set the switch to 3 as instructed it causes my original doorbell to buzz.

Are there any ARLO Engineers reading this stuff?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Did you use the Traditional Chime setup in the doorbell settings?

JeffinCO
Aspirant
Aspirant

This solution worked like a charm! THANK YOU!! No additional parts or pieces necessary! ARLO, if you are reading this please put these steps in the setup guide to save people ALOT of frustration for such an easy fix.

JeffinCO
Aspirant
Aspirant

The solution that I am referring to, since it is not obvious in my first reply is to go to the "Doorbell" then to "Device Settings", which is not obvious (3 dots (...) at the top right corner. Then choose "Traditional Chime" and follow the guide. Would not have found this if not for another post here trying to troubleshoot the doorbell, as it was not in the set up guide.

Overall, I have been very pleased with the ARLO products for their ease of set-up, ease of use and no monthly fees.  

tsk99
Aspirant
Aspirant

After trying all the previous suggestions for a mechanical chime, and still being left with the buzz on switch positions 1 and 3 and nothing on position 2, I fiddled with the contacts on the doorbell body to ensure better contact with the doorbell base brass nubbins. Success, my 50-year old mechanical doorbell chime works.

Discussion stats