Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 26 Replies
  • 27 Likes
  • 15 In Conversation
juanmlopez23
Initiate
Initiate

I have smart things at home, and would love to somehow be able to integrate the camera and motion detection to smart things to trigger other actions or alerts. Any plans of having any sort of integration?

26 REPLIES 26
ChristineT
Arlo Employee Retired

Good morning juanmlopez23,

Thank you for your inquiry! The Arlo team is currently working on multiple partnerships. We will be sure to post an announcement in the Arlo community once any new third-party device integration becomes available.

Best Regards,

Christine

Arlo Team

____
Please click KUDOS or REPLY if you found this helpful.
TriggerTact
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Christine, just thought I'd check in on whether there's a SmartThings integration in the works yet?

Thanks,

Brandon

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

There are things coming down the pike... all secret of course. You just have to wait.

But , TECHHIVE had a review and popped this out last month;

"

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
TriggerTact
Aspirant
Aspirant
Very cool! I had heard about AllJoyn before but never really knew what it was all about. Sounds like it's just another networking protocol software to increase the amount of connectivity among your internet connected devices, right? If so, then is Netgear interested in it so it can eventually integrate it's smart home products (Arlo) to other smart home hubs (SmartThings) and devices?
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

TriggerTact wrote:
snip... If so, then is Netgear interested in it so it can eventually integrate it's smart home products (Arlo) to other smart home hubs (SmartThings) and devices?

I would take a simple guess and say Yes... 

Morse is faster than texting!
RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Please add integration with InControlHA.

-Robert
Dvogel22
Initiate
Initiate

Any new updates here?  I just purchased an Arlo and love it.  However, it needs to be integrated to work best.  Thanks!!!

Balwani
Aspirant
Aspirant
Read this in a news clipping regarding SmartThings v2:

Other things to note about the launch are that several new devices and products will be supported by SmartThings, such as Chamberlain garage doors, Honeywell Thermostats, Nest Thermostats, Philips Hue lights, Netgear products, August locks, the previously announced Samsung appliances and new apps for the Gear S and Samsung Smart TVs.
Initiate
Initiate

This would be awesome. I love to only have to manage/view one app instead of two.

geotrouvetout67
Guide
Guide

For me ST integration is key to aquire any alro cam. I am specifically waiting for this integration to get into ST as the current compatible cams are either too expensive (Samsung and Nest) or poorly rated (D-Link).

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The most important thing is that they work with the ZWave protocol, as most Smart Home products use that the most.  SmartThings is only the hub/controller, though it does play a big part.  Which there are many types already out there.

The best hub/controllers work with multiple protocols, ZWave, Dlink, Std Wireless, zigbee, just to name a few, with ZWave being the most prevalent!

If Netgear locks themself to a propietary protocol, there will be many Smart Home users, who are in the know, that will just bypass their product. As more and more people are now jumping into the Smart Home arena, they will find out that your Smart Home Security just does not revolve around a wireless camera. It is group of products, made by different manufacturers, that may or may not speak the same protocol but will be brought together with a hub/controller to make things easier for the end user.

Netgear make it compatible with ZWave and you probably will see more of your wireless cameras fly off the shelf.  

geotrouvetout67 wrote:

For me ST integration is key to aquire any alro cam. I am specifically waiting for this integration to get into ST as the current compatible cams are either too expensive (Samsung and Nest) or poorly rated (D-Link).

-Robert
geotrouvetout67
Guide
Guide

zwave would be nice but it does not have to be to work with ST, the D-Link cams that work with ST are not Zwave and I don't think the Samsung and Nest cams are either.

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I think you are misunderstanding.  You're right it does not need to be ZWave, but if you look at many of the products that ST sells, many use the ZWave protocol.

Many things are branded with different names, what you find to be made by ST, in fact may be a GE or a Jasco.  You really want ST to talk to everything especially ZWave as you will find that Zwave products are more in abundance than just your Samsung and Nest Cams.

For instance ST connects to the following.

Schlage doorlocks - ZWave

GE/Jasco Light Switches - ZWave

Motion Detectors - ZWave

Window Sensors - ZWave

Honeywell Thermostats - ZWave

Again this is just touching the tip of all the ZWave products out there and guess what your ST hub/controller can speak to all of it.  Why limit yourself to just Samsung, Nest, when you can have it all.  Don't let the product limit you with what you can do with your Smart Home. Think Smarter not Harder and work less!

My brother sets up ST systems for many homes, so I know what they can do.  I use InControl, basically all the same, just different when programming. You can do practically do everything now with speech or a touch of a button and thanks to ZWave, Zigbee and all those other products out there, we have a smorgasborg of products to choose from.

Oh in closing, Nest protocol is Std wireless, everything can be made to talk with that, which both ST and InControl do well with it.

geotrouvetout67 wrote:

zwave would be nice but it does not have to be to work with ST, the D-Link cams that work with ST are not Zwave and I don't think the Samsung and Nest cams are either.

-Robert
lasermonkey
Star
Star

It's been a year, how is that integration going Netgear?

Coriolanus
Guide
Guide

I doubt they're doing anything.

HeatherABC
Apprentice
Apprentice

I keep hoping that these cameras will be integrated. I want to buy an Arlo Q but am sticking with just my 4 Arlo cams until either they become "smart" or I move to another system.

hirsti
Tutor
Tutor

You can already unnoficially integrate the ST hub with the Arlo hub, you can configure ST via a smartapp to change the Modes on the Arlo hub based on if your ST hub is Away or Home.

Just google for AutoArlo and download the script from github.

Provide your login details in the app and it should connect.

Works perfectly.

Just require access to the Live Feeds now.

TriggerTact
Aspirant
Aspirant

Awesome! Just got it setup and working...had to play around with it a bit to realize that you don't just type in the mode # but you actually type "mode0" or "mode1". Anyways, thanks for the heads up!

HeatherABC
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for the sharing of this. I had seen it on the ST forums. I'm looking for more integration so I can actually see the streams/images with ST because I use a smartapp called SmartTiles to control my system throughout my house and would like to be able to see the cameras through that interface.

geotrouvetout67
Guide
Guide

That's interesting. What I would hope to be able to do is use the arlo movement detectors to trigger other events.

Say I have a camera detecting someone up my driveway, I'd want that information to tell ST to turn on the lights in the house if it is dark outside, maybe ring a chime, that way I don't need to duplicate movement detectors.

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

In order for ST or any SmartHome Appliance or Software to truly work with Arlo.  Netgear needs to get moving and start making it that the Arlo can be SmartHome Protocol aware.

It needs to be able to communicate with most if not all of the protocols out there.

• ZWave
  • ZigBee
  • Insteon
  • C-Bus

Just to name a few.  Once they do that, then I will say that our Arlo's truly belong in a Smart Home Environment!

-Robert
Freakyone
Aspirant
Aspirant
Guys is there any support for Arlo yes Jesus dlink sucks I have 2 there trash.... Please support this it's a great system
Freakyone
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have thousands of dollars in lighting and security in smartthings please play ball so I can tie in my cams
RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you go to ifttt.com, you'll that it now supported and your smart things hub will be able to control it.

-Robert