Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Who Sells Pro 3 Add On Cameras In Mexico?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
brentrobison85
Tutor
Tutor
After purchasing a Pro 3 system in the US and bringing it home to Mexico, I was shocked to find out it was not Samsung SmartThings compatible. I gave the system away instead of paying an additional $100 to ship the set back. I know that the Pro 3 cameras are compatible with my Pro 2 base station, but I cannot find a single vendor in Mexico that carries just the Pro 3 add on camera, including AmazonMX. Does anyone know where I can order one from? TIA.
3 REPLIES 3
brh
Master
Master

@brentrobison85,

I saw your other posts about this and thought I would comment. I believe that even if you purchase the Pro3 to use with your Pro base, it still will not work with Smartthings and probably never will along with the Ultra system. Unfortunately for us Smartthings users, Smartthings and Arlo seem to be going in different directions - Arlo investors insist that Arlo charge subscription fees going forward to enable all future devices to work and Smartthings seems to be getting away from security and more into Home Automation. This is sad, but something we must now face. As I replace more and more of my cameras with Ultra and Pro3 models, I am slowly becoming less reliant on Smartthings for my home security and am mostly using it for my home automation.

On the bright side, (supposedly in the near future - hopefully), Arlo has indicated that they will be partnering with many manufacturers of IOT devices to offer their own systems. The Ultra and, I believe, the Pro3 hubs already have ZigBee and Z-wave radios built inside in preparation for this.

I can't entirely blame Arlo for this as I believe that Smartthings also is not very interested in home security any more. As an Arlo and Smartthings user I must also adapt to the new reality.

Brian

brentrobison85
Tutor
Tutor
Thanks for the response Brian. So you can say with certainty that a Pro 3 camera will not work on SmartThings, even if connected to a Pro 2 base station. I need to cancel an order I just placed if that is the case. I started with a Wink 2 hub, which was a disaster, and after trying the newer SmartThings hub, the response times and quality of the product really won me over. I like that my cameras, smoke and CO2 detectors, door sensors, etc. are all housed on the same system. I despise the idea of having to use more than one app, and if that means I have to dump Arlo, then so be it. I also hate when companies try to force me into using their proprietary software, especially when they want to charge for it. I’m not sure this is the best move for Arlo. They will lose me as a customer for good. There are cheaper cameras that are within the same range of performance as the Pro 2 and Pro 3.
brh
Master
Master

@brentrobison85,

99.9% certainty,

The Arlo doorbells, Ultras, (which have been out for nearly a year), and the Pro3, (which is too new to be used with Smartthings), do not work with Smartthings. I haven't seen any new integrations from both companies for over a year. 

I am taking the opposite approach from you, (not because I like Arlo better than Smartthings), but the one thing I do appreciate about Arlo is that they are not in the business of selling my data as Google and Amazon are, and many of the cheaper camera models are Chinese companies and I don't trust them with my network credentials. If you read up on the subject, many of these companies are suspect in spying.

I still have and use many Smartthings devices - I just can't find other camera systems that work with the two systems that I can trust with my data.