Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
trainerles
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi guys
I'm trying to setup a routine on Alexa app to use my Arlo cams as a trigger to switch on one of my tp-link plugs for the outside lights and then go off after 1 minute. It all sets up and when I test it on the app it works but won't trigger with the cameras when I walk outside! Anyone else having problems with this? Looks like everything is right but just not responding.

20 REPLIES 20
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi trainerles,

Have you tried running the routine manually by hitting the play button to see if it works? And is your camera armed? Make sure that on the Arlo app or web client, you have the camera armed in order for the camera to detect motion.

trainerles
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes works manually perfectly when the play button is pressed in the routine but will not trigger when movement is sensed from the camera itself. And yes the system is armed when I have been trying this I get notifications from Arlo app but the routine will not work.
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Have you tried to remove the routine and re-create it again to see if that helps? Otherwise, you might also want to try disable the Arlo Alexa skill and re-enable it to see if that helps.

tedhebden
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have same problem but replies to the originator are all basic which I am sure he would have covered. Seems to be to do with the "motion detected " signal process.

Krystoff
Guide
Guide

I can also confirm that no matter what I setup for a routine within Alexa using the Arlo pro motion as the trigger - works perfect when testing the routine but not in the slightest when left to be triggered by actual motion

im not sure if I have too many 3rd party connections (IFTTT & HomeKit connections) and maybe Alexa isn’t given any priority in the process?

However I have successfully setup arlo triggers on motion to then action an IFTTT recipe or a HomeKit automation and both work 

disabling them didn’t help the Alexa routine get priority or receive the trigger

disabling the arlo skill then setting it up from scratch didn’t help either - in fact gave me a headache seeing all the cameras the 1st few times

all systems rebooted, even waited days of skill disabled to ensure no cloud to cloud latency happening with Alex on AWS made sure all arlo devices were deleted from the app etc 

skill reconnected and found cameras - registered motion triggers

allowed routines to be created - even gave them slightly different names in case there were remnants of the past devices confusing things

but again they don’t run outside of pressing the manual play to test a routine

just thought I’d chime in with what I’ve tried in case it helps

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

If you're having problems where Alexa routine won't trigger the camera, contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

Krystoff
Guide
Guide

You mean so I can be told how to add a skill to Alexa again as others have

you are joking right?

find me an arlo user who CAN get motion to trigger an Alexa routine and then I’ll happily waste my time with support and troubleshooting

tedhebden
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes  I agree with above, it is as though the routine does not read motion signal from Arlo VMC3030. I have been trying to see if it can be done some more devious way ( using notification for instant ) so far no luck.

Krystoff
Guide
Guide

as both IFTTT & HomeKit integrations do pass the trigger to the respective 3rd party successfully as in each case the network communication can be seen on the local network following motion

Motofox4life
Aspirant
Aspirant
OnoriaPTN
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same issue. Driving me mad. Tried all the same steps as above. Any feedback from Arlo on this issue? I understand 10 people on one thread does not make a bug but something is going on.
SanktFu
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same here. I'd like to trigger the Echo Show 5 via motion so the live mode has been established once I reach the door. It should, at least, show the screenshot one gets from the rich notification in the Arlo Smart message. I have read through several threads on this topic and cannot understand why this is not solved by the Arlo technical support. Very dissapointed...
Iamnotbatman
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the same issue, however this may be an alexa issue rather than an arlo issue.

I have had similar problems with getting smartthings devices to activate alexa routines too.
RsekX
Guide
Guide
Figured this one out, it has a similar "Requirement" that smarthing has. I have successfully activared routines on 2 of my cameras and will do so for the rest after sharing this. To get Alexa to listen for motion from Arlo I had to create an Arlo mode called "Alexa" and set up my rules there. This was also necessary for SmartThings. I did NOT have to remove/disable/enable skills or devices in Alexa. However it did take a few minutes to take effect. On an additional note, I created activity zones and am not sure if this is a requirement. The last note is that this worked on both a camera with a subscription plan and one without it.
OnoriaPTN
Aspirant
Aspirant
That is great RsekX. Can you explain a bit more what you mean by creating Arlo mode. Was this on the Arlo side or the Alexa side? Do you mean a group?
RsekX
Guide
Guide
This was on the Arlo side, you have 3 tabs, the first one is "Modes" and at the bottom you have the option to add a mode, see screenshot.
OnoriaPTN
Aspirant
Aspirant
RsekX
Guide
Guide
It has been a hit or miss through out the day, I don't know if it is currently on the Arlo side or Alexa side but it will work at timesz and others it completely ignores the routine.
Motofox4life
Aspirant
Aspirant
Didnt work for me
RsekX
Guide
Guide
From my last post where it wojld sometimes work, It is now working fine everytime. I haven't messed with Alexa, Arlo or my lights since then but will share more info. It could be a difference in the setup for which it doesn't work for others. For Arlo, I have arlo pro 2 and pro 3 cameras, all connected to the base that came with arlo pro 3. In the app, I created a new custom mode and named it "Alexa", within the mode I have a rule for each of my cameras to detect motion and record until motion stops on the same camera. I also set up activity zones to target the traffic areas, but they are almost the entire view. In Alexa, I created multiple routines which seem to all be working. Most turn on or off a light, one will notify me of visitors.
Focusing on my hallway camera/light/routines. I have one routine to tun on the light when motion is detected between 5pm and 7am. I have a second routine to turn off the light when motion is no longer detected for 3 min. For my lights, I have Philips hue. At one point I had created rooms and assigned lifhts to rooms within Hue but ended up removing the room and left cameras on their own. The reason for this was that in Alexa a device would be added for the light and another for the room but it didn't make much sense to have a light room and a light inside of an Alexa room. But I did notice that if I selected the room as the light (since they had the same light icon), I would get different options when setting up the routine.

My lights are on a network repeater and in a way are not on the same network as my lights.

I also have Ring door sensors that will trigger routines in Alexa to control some lights as well. I really haven't had an issue with the multiple pieces of the puzzle lately and leads me to believe there might be some machine learning within Alexa to get better at effectively using routines. At first when the triggers would sometimes not work I would manually activate the routine on my phone when I moved by the sensor. With that in mind, my recommendations would be to also check if arlo is recording each time you move by it? If you don't have the camera active (recording, sending an email, message or siren) then it will not send anything to Alexa either.