Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
KingStrava
Star
Star

So Arlo and SmartThings aren't currently integrated together yet, and Arlo doesn't offer an auto away or home feature so I had to come up with a way to automate Arlo into the SmartThings ecosystem. If anyone is currently using Arlo for there home monitoring this should work for the time being.

1. Connect Arlo to a compatible SmartThings plug.
2. Arm Arlo to "All Motion On"
3. Set the plug to turn On when Away
4. Set the plug to turn off when Home
5. Set the plug to turn off when Morning
6. Set the plug to turn on when Night

This allows me to have Arlo turn on and off based on the presence of who's how and gone. So far its working fantastic.

6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

If I read you right, your using the PLUG to unpower Arlo base and then re-power it again later??

Only one possible problem I know of...  sometimes when the Arlo base looses power the cameras can become "un connected" to the base unit. Tho the base unit will come back automaticly , if this happens the cameras will not. The only solution is to re-sync the cameras to the base.

Also, TMK, the cameras will draw more power when the base goes down as they attempt to ping the base unit more, maybe shorter battery life

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
etays69
Aspirant
Aspirant

This sounds great... any idea on the battery life? How long have you run it this way?

KingStrava
Star
Star

I've just started about 4 days ago, and thus far I've had zero issues.

etays69
Aspirant
Aspirant
Any update? I just started doing this myself but I want to see how it's been a week later for you.
KingStrava
Star
Star
So far it's been pretty good. One of my cameras battery finally died but I'm not sure if the auto on/off had an impact on it or not. I've got some new battery's coming from Amazon.
paulsmitz
Apprentice
Apprentice