Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

SmartThings integration failing since June 2022 update

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
npiscopo
Aspirant
Aspirant
My SmartThings integration was working without issue. Turning cameras on and off with motion events firing as expected. Since the June 2022 update this seems to be broken. If I set a mode in ST to turn cameras on, they are not detecting motion. A reboot of the Arlo hub fixes temporarily, but after a couple mode changes in ST it breaks again.
Best answers
  • npiscopo
    Aspirant
    Aspirant

UPDATE

I worked with level 3 support yesterday and could not replicate the issue (of course) on the phone with the tech.  This was tested using only the Scene changes to enable/disable cameras in SmartThings.

After I got off the phone, I re-added the WebCore piston I was using to turn on/off a virtual switch to change scenes via a URL.  This was working before the June updates.  Using this method, I WAS able to replicate the issue.

I found another method to change the scenes via a URL using the SmartThings API and a Personal Access Token (PAT), and this seems to be working as expected now.

I have this API call integrated into an iOS shortcut to arm and disarm various devices.

6 REPLIES 6
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Please reach out to the Support Team to further investigate this issue you are experiencing. You can find several options for contacting support though the Arlo Mobile App by navigating to Settings/System/Support.

cdunham84
Aspirant
Aspirant

Seem to have the same issue, was there ever a resolution?

npiscopo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Not that I've seen.  Other than the moderator response for me to open a support ticket.  I haven't done that as I was waiting to see if others on here reply with the same issue.

You have confirmed that it is not just me, so maybe the Arlo team will take a more serious look at their last update?

npiscopo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Support is claiming there was a SmartThings fix in the June 2022 iOS update.  Obviously, this broke something else with the integration.   So far they are just taking me through all the steps I have gone through previously to resolve (reboot base station, uninstall/reinstall Arlo and SmartThings apps, remove/readd SmartThings integration, etc.).  I even shared a thread from a previous instance of this happening:

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Partner-Integrations/SmartThings-integration-failing-motion-events/m-p...

• I have Arlo integrated with SmartThings.
  • Leave Arlo cameras Armed
  • Use Home/Away status in SmartThings to enable/disable cameras based on status.
  • Cameras enable/disable as expected and this is reflected in the Arlo app
  • Motion on cameras enabled in Away mode is not detected or recorded in Arlo even though the mode is "Armed" and cameras are enabled.
  • This WAS working prior to the June 2022 update.
  • A reboot of the base station allows this to work at first, but after a status change Away-->Home-->Away, the problem returns until another reboot of the base station.

Anyone else who is experiencing this, or knows of a fix please help.

npiscopo
Aspirant
Aspirant

UPDATE

I worked with level 3 support yesterday and could not replicate the issue (of course) on the phone with the tech.  This was tested using only the Scene changes to enable/disable cameras in SmartThings.

After I got off the phone, I re-added the WebCore piston I was using to turn on/off a virtual switch to change scenes via a URL.  This was working before the June updates.  Using this method, I WAS able to replicate the issue.

I found another method to change the scenes via a URL using the SmartThings API and a Personal Access Token (PAT), and this seems to be working as expected now.

I have this API call integrated into an iOS shortcut to arm and disarm various devices.

npiscopo
Aspirant
Aspirant

UPDATE

After a few successful on/off using the API method, my Arlo returned to not recording motion again using the API link or just via manually changing the scenes in SmartThings.  I have since stopped using SmartThings integration (again).

For some reason I keep getting multiple responses from support to telling me to look at irrelevant things (like my base station being disarmed - which it isn't.  My light bridge is when by design, but I'm not using it with SmartThings), or remedial troubleshooting steps (like rebooting, or unlinking/relinking with SmartThings) that I've tried dozens of times already.  Any advice how to make this stop?  Everything is already documented in my support case.

***Additionally, to the moderators - how do I get this escalated to your developers/engineers?  It would seem something has changed or reverted in the code since the time this was "fixed" in March of 2022 and the latest release on June 13, 2022.  If you read this thread the same thing was happening from 12/2021 until it was fixed in 3/2022.