Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

SmartThings integration failing (motion events)

hoicju
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi. I have a problem integrating Smartthings and Arlo. I took a screen recording to show the problem: http://youtu.be/WscnGEcJos4. The biggest problem is that now Smarthings is not receiving information from the motion sensor in Arlo cameras and my automation no longer works.
8112EC25-8801-41AC-9AE7-4084E6E677AE.png
Best answers
  • Arlbroke
    Guide
    Guide

Mine started working yesterday.  I had to unlink and relink the Arlo account to Smartthings.  I also had to redo the smartlighting automations in Smartthings.

• ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Thank you for providing your feedback, I have notified the Development team & we are working on a release for early next week. I will be sure to update you as soon as I hear more!

• ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Thank you for your patience while we worked to resolve this issue. The issue with the Arlo SmartThings integration and not receiving alerts should now be resolved. You do not need to relink your devices, you should now be receiving your automation alerts.

464 REPLIES 464
RyanEnscoe
Tutor
Tutor
Case Update

Hi Ryan,

Good day!

This is Marelyn from Arlo Support Team. I would like to follow-up on your case. Please be informed that issue on Smartthings with Arlo should now be working. Kindly test and let us know if issue persists.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,

Marelyn

Arlo Support
BxBillBx
Star
Star
I will confirm that I just wasted time testing again and writing this message.
Does NOT work!
Vendor
Tutor
Tutor

I removed the Arlo Integration from SmartThings (via Settings in the app) and re-added the devices/linking. I can confirm that the motion and sound events are now being sent to SmartThings for my cameras. I verified using the SmartThings IDE and looked at the events for one of my camera Devices. 

If it is not working, please try removing and re-integrating with SmartThings. 

I know we had solutions that had a short term fix so I will evaluate the system in a couple of hours and see how it works. 

arlomike
Star
Star

Ugh.  I unlinked and tried to link again.  I get an error that the connection btw ST and Arlo encountered an error. 

Now what?

Capsel22
Aspirant
Aspirant
I removed the integration and now can't add it back. Getting either black screen or the service says disconnected.
JBKerner
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm assuming that you get automatic updates to SmartThings.  If so, I'd force-quit the app, and reboot your smarthings hub, if you have one.  Then restart the app, and try reinstalling the Arlo integration.  It could be that Arlo is still tweaking the integration, and you can't re-add it until they're done.

Capsel22
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes those are first things I've done. But no luck. Will wait till tomorrow
BxBillBx
Star
Star
Removal and reintegration error still persistent. Camera status, battery, clips info not showing and no automation working. Tested on a different device this time.
JBKerner
Apprentice
Apprentice

Last night, I got a message from Arlo to check & see if the problem had been fixed.  It hadn't, and I said so.  Looks like they're still guessing about what the problem is.

All I can suggest is to have patience.  None of us are happy about this!  I'm also not going to delete my Arlo integration (under Menu->settings->Linked Services) until several people indicate that it worked!  If Arlo is still tweaking the integration, you could potentially hose yourself BIG TIME by trying to re-install it.  I'd wait a few more days, at least.

Davidious
Aspirant
Aspirant

I removed and re-linked my Arlo doorbell in the Smartthings app. Motion alerts and Webcore routines are now working flawlessly. I only hope it sticks.

arlomike
Star
Star

The real test is to see whether it sticks after a couple of hours.  People reported last week that this solution to unlink/link works for a couple hours and then it stopped working.

Capsel22
Aspirant
Aspirant
After mashing the add button the cameras finally appeared in ST but no events are coming through I'm afraid
Jeremy_Alejandr
Star
Star

I am able to unlink and re-link Arlo and ST successfully. I am also able to confirm that events from Arlo (motion and sound) are being sent to ST. And since ST is getting the events, automation based from those events are now being triggered (based from my one newly created automation).

I will post another message here if it stops working.
RyanEnscoe
Tutor
Tutor
To unlink I logged into ST and manually deleted the Arlo placeholders. You need to make sure to disarm Arlo before you try to link Arlo to ST. Once it links then rearm Arlo.
Jeremy_Alejandr
Star
Star
And it's gone! Stopped working after an hour or so...
arlomike
Star
Star

Thanks for updating the rest of us.  Still the same issue as before.  Question, how does it work and then stops working and if you unlink/link it starts working again?  Are auth tokens expiring or something?

g-spot
Tutor
Tutor

Removed and re-added Arlo into ST.  Motion detection is working…for now.  I will also report back if it stops working later.

arlomike
Star
Star

I got it to link again after several tries.  Motion is detected but will see if it continues to work past  24hrs.

ChadofCNC
Apprentice
Apprentice
So far the “fix” after reintegration has only lasted for a few hours. It seems that the token/Authentication between services is not renewed correctly.
JohnT4423
Guide
Guide
I tried deleting the Arlo integration in ST and re adding and still have the same issue..
Burrn
Aspirant
Aspirant
I also still get the same error when trying to add the Arlo integration.
g-spot
Tutor
Tutor

Ok.  Mixed results to report.

1.  Motion events are working…sort of
2.  Motion stops working at some point, requiring another “reset”, if you will

3.  Following another reset, motion is again being received by ST

Reset:

1. Disarm cameras in Arlo

2. delete Arlo linked account in ST

3. add cameras back in ST (don’t forget to authorize the add back in the Arlo app if you have that setting turned on)

4. After successful add…and this is the painful part…update your ST automations to “re-include” your cams

5. Arm cameras in Arlo (may not be necessary…just a step that I did just in case)

6. Test…

so, some good progress to report that appears to be in line with what other users are experiencing (temporarily working).  Now Arlo and ST need to work on a solution that doesn’t expire, remove itself or stop working after a certain time as I don’t want to have to go through this entire process over and over again.  

hoicju
Apprentice
Apprentice
@g-spot after 2 hours events stopped coming to ST. ARM/Disarm in Arlo does not affect ST integration.

It's been a month already.. we are still waiting for solutions from Arlo
JBKerner
Apprentice
Apprentice
So yesterday Arlo sent me a message asking for additional information, like how many cameras are affected, when does the problem occur, how many wired/wireless devices are connected to your wifi (seriously? There are NO wired devices connected to my wifi! If they'd said "network" instead of "wifi", I wouldn't have problem). They also wanted to know date, place of purchase, and proof of purchase.

I don't see how any of the above is relevant, and sounded like boilerplate questions. I'm not making a warranty claim! Perhaps it was busy-work, to make it appear that they're actually doing something. If so, they failed.

Along with my Amazon receipt for the Ultra cameras, I sent the receipt for my Pro 3 Floodlight, purchased directly from Arlo. You'd think they'd have that on file! Same with the serial numbers. I'm pretty sure the serial numbers are available to them when viewing my account.
Capsel22
Aspirant
Aspirant

This sounds like you were put back to level 1 support who just gathers info. Laughable at this stage to be asking such questions as this is cloud to cloud integration issue nothing to do with your network or amount of devices you have connected.