Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Is there a way for the arlo pro system To trigger an external light source

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Jmhforrfh
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is there a way for the arlo pro system To trigger an external light source.  For instance.. In addition to turning on the Alarm I would also like to turn on a strobe light for the same duration the alarm is set for.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

Jmhforrfh wrote:

Is there a way for the arlo pro system To trigger an external light source.  For instance.. In addition to turning on the Alarm I would also like to turn on a strobe light for the same duration the alarm is set for.  

Yes, in a manner of speaking.  You can use the ARLO IFTTT channel to tell Arlo "IF you detect motion on camera x, then THAT ..."

I have Wemo plugs in my home, so I can set a channel to where IF my driveway camera detects motion THEN turn on the wemo light.  However, I'd have to write another rule to turn that light off since it wouldn't just go off but there are settings in IFTT where you can (depending on the channel) set things like turn on for so long, etc.  It just depends on what IOT devices you have in your home. (wemo, smartthings, Insteon, etc).

IFTT is free, you link your arlo system to IFTT and then you can create "applets" to do different stuff. It's actually quite easy and fun to do.

https://ifttt.com/

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Only if you're using IFTTT or maybe SmartThings or similar. Even then I don't know if the camera would be able to trigger the light - it might have to be the other way around.

kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

Jmhforrfh wrote:

Yes, in a manner of speaking.  You can use the ARLO IFTTT channel to tell Arlo "IF you detect motion on camera x, then THAT ..."

I have Wemo plugs in my home, so I can set a channel to where IF my driveway camera detects motion THEN turn on the wemo light.  However, I'd have to write another rule to turn that light off since it wouldn't just go off but there are settings in IFTT where you can (depending on the channel) set things like turn on for so long, etc.  It just depends on what IOT devices you have in your home. (wemo, smartthings, Insteon, etc).

IFTT is free, you link your arlo system to IFTT and then you can create "applets" to do different stuff. It's actually quite easy and fun to do.

https://ifttt.com/

Jmhforrfh
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks everyone for your input. I figured it all out last night and got everything working. ifttt applet: Arlo - memo wall plug. Then set timer on plug for 3 mins or whatever. Thanks again