Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
toqy
Initiate
Initiate

Is there any plan to support IFTTT? Would be great. For example, imagine if I could create an IFTTT recipe with an Arlo and my Wink Egg Minder to start recording when someone takes the last egg. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

We are excited to let the community know that IFTTT integration has been announced! For more information, take a look here: Introducing IFTTT Integration

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

doesn't the wink egg minder already push notifications for set # of remaining eggs? 

Unless you want to catch the thief in the act! 🙂

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
laurenc
Luminary
Luminary

Arlo will not get a channel on IFTTT at this time. We will submit this inquiry to our development team for consideration. 

Thank you for your interest in Arlo!

Lauren - Arlo Team

TJgeneva
Initiate
Initiate
My phone and tablet were exploding with notifications. I created a mode to do nothing, and have to remember to switch it back when I leave. With security systems you have to manually arm them... But I would rather have an automated trigger common to the whole "smart" home idea. Right now you just have a camera. No wires is great, but not smart. I sure hope Netgear plays nice with other smart home products and implements IFTTT. Really feel that my home would be monitored better with another solution. I really wish I could create recipes to use as triggers to set modes. The setup was easy like drop cam I use at my place of business. The camera's picture quality is better than expected, but the noticiations are an annoyance. Disappointed the cameras are kind of dumb.
Don't get me wrong, they are a quality product, the apps, devices are top notch. Just didn't want to have to hit record every time the house needs monitoring. Hope to hear an update before the return period. Can't justify the cost for a simple set of webcams.
toqy
Initiate
Initiate

Thank you for your answer. 

A couple things to consider:

• The Homeboy, which is likely your main competitor currently for this product, has great IFTTT support. (Unfortunately it's not weatherproof though)
  • It seems like only thing making the Arlo "smart" is the motion detection recording, IFTTT support would make the system a lot smarter
trevick
Guide
Guide

Without IFTTT support, this is pretty useless. It isn't very powerful on its own. There is nothing "smart" about this device at the moment.

laurenc
Luminary
Luminary

@TJgeneva Thank you for your valuable feedback on how to improve Arlo. In terms of switching the modes back and forth, it sounds like you may want to utilize the Schedule feature. If you are under Mode, click or tap on the slider for the Schedule to enable this feature (slider will appear green). Here, you can adjust the times you would like motion detection to be on/off. Move the black separator bars to adjust the timing, or drag and drop your different Mode buttons to the calendar to add Modes to the schedule. Also see What are “Modes” & How Do I Use Them? 

In regards to IFTTT integration, I would recommend that you place this great suggestion into the Ideas board. The product and development teams will be reviewing the ideas with the most kudos for consideration in future functionality.  

Thank you all for your interest in Arlo!

Lauren - Arlo Team

telmon
Initiate
Initiate

Agreed on the point of schedule setting, it just much easier for one to link an action related to one locking a door (Schlagg), a door sensor (any security system), or GPS location (like my phone leaving a given area) to drive the mode set on the camera system....This is much much much more fullproof/useful than relying on a set schedule or needing to do things manually.  

froder
Tutor
Tutor

I loved the ease way in configure and install the cameras, but an IFTTT integration is mandatory.... I hope you provide this feature soon.

TJgeneva
Initiate
Initiate

It was a mandatory feature request back in Feb when I first purchased this camera.  Someone here recommended the Homeboy camera.  Also true wireless (no cords) and just as easy installation, but you charge the camera instead of replacing batteries, no hub, uses GPS geocaching to automatically arm and disarm when everyone has left the home and has IFTTT intregration.  No I don't work for Homeboy. 🙂 just pleased with the product.  It has features I hoped Arlo would have included.  One feature homeboy does not have... it is not weatherproof. so it can not be outside.  Also, currently Homeboy doesn't have monthy fees.  Great app & great Arlo alternative.

zackstark
Tutor
Tutor

We need #IFTTT support bad! When will this happen? We also need SmartThings support. 

froder
Tutor
Tutor

Arlo Team,

Please IFTTT integration is a must have feature..... without it I have to activate manually the modes everytime that I leave/arrive home, go to sleep, travel, etc... with IFTTT I will integrate Arlo with my Alarm system (Scout) and increase security and smart features. I am sure that you can do this integration in a month.

joshgibson
Initiate
Initiate

Can you give us a better answer than that? Why won't you consider IFTTT support?

BrianL
Master
Master

Hi froder,

Kindly post your feature request here Arlo Idea Exchange and give it a kudos. The more it gets kudos from other users, the more it will get attention and it be considered in the product's future functionality.  

Kind regards,

BrianL

Arlo Team

lennardl
Initiate
Initiate

I would be awesome if ifttt would work.

You could switch on philips hue lights for example when motion is captured by the camera!

I am really looking forward for that function!!

len

nfernan87
Initiate
Initiate

I just got an Arlo Camera and like all of you i'm looking forward to integrate the camera using IFTTT, specially since i have the ScoutAlarm system. SInce there is no support at this time i created a couple IFTTT Recipes that activates the Scout SIren whenever the motion sensor  is triggered on the Arlo camera.

Basically what i did was create a recipe using the gmail channel that sends an emailst to trigger@recipe.ifttt.com whenever i receive an email alert from alerts@arlo.com which is sent whenever the camera detects any motion. I then created a second recipe using the scout channel in which the siren is set off whenever trigger@recipe.ifttt.com receives an email from my email account. 

I'm sure this procedure can be applied to other alarm systems or smart home tech you guys might have. I'm playing around with it to see if I'm able to implement it in other ways. Hope this helps.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

great outside the box thinking.

primasilva
Aspirant
Aspirant

Netgear apparently lied in the press release about Arlo Q, because their Director of Product Management promised IFTTT would be available last month: 

http://www.techhive.com/article/3005265/security-cameras/netgear-adds-an-indoor-model-to-its-arlo-ho...

If people shelled out hundreds on Arlo based on this press release, there could probably be some lawsuits coming Netgear's way, right? 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Sounds a bit diff when read.... "starting" not really the same as promise.  Besides, production problems always slow things down at times. The Q cam was coming out in Dec, but really just released now.  ....not to mention it's thru a third party so it's hearsay. Don't think there's any lawsuits

"Skripic also said Netgear will also offer IFTTT integration starting in December." 

Vansmak
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm not buying another arlo camera until they add ifttt. So there
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

We are excited to let the community know that IFTTT integration has been announced! For more information, take a look here: Introducing IFTTT Integration

MichalSzl
Aspirant
Aspirant

It would be nice to be able to triger Arlo by SMS. My security system send me SMS that it is armed or disarmed. If that could trigr arm or disarm Arlo that would be great! Can this be done?