Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Stephs_net
Apprentice
Apprentice

Since the last iOS app upgrade last week 2.6.3, I have had many fewer videos in my library and the IFTTT hourly recording applets all fail.  I have retarted the base stations and signed in and out of IFTTT app several times and cannot get it to work.

The message given for the failure is that the ARLO Service failed. 

I rely on the IFTTT applets this is a major problem.  What can I do to resolve it?

10 REPLIES 10
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @Stephs_net,

Try to unlink your Arlo account with IFTTT and try it again to see if that helps.

Stephs_net
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have followed carefully the recomendations to unlink IFTTT and Arlo accounts and restart base stations.  I have deleted ifttt app from phone and reinstalled.  I have repeated the process several times over the last week.  No luck. 

The IFTTT applets that use Arlo service to notify me via email or sms when there is motion work just fine. 

It is only the applets that record every hour that fail. 

The trigger is date time, the action is Arlo camera record.  This is not working.  I hope you can resolve this problem for me and others.

Thank you!

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Could you send the link or screenshot of which IFTTT applet/recipe you are trying to use? 

Stephs_net
Apprentice
Apprentice

If via computer web interface - not smart phone/tablet app, go to IFTTT Services, scroll to bottom below "More" you will see a link to all "Actions and Triggers" for Arlo. 

Under Actions you will find:

• Start recording

This Action will start recording with the selected camera.

Action Fields
    • Which device?
    • How long?

I have been pairing this with Date/Time Trigger -  "Every Hour at XX past the Hour"

Arlo Start Recording for 10 seconds.

I had this working since I got the cameras this summer and it stopped working right around the last iOS update.

I've attached is a screenshot of my applets.  I tried to contact you via pm but there was no way to do it.

Stephs_net
Apprentice
Apprentice

please disregard my comment that I could not pm you Jessica.  I just figured out how to do that.  but I put everything I had to say in the post above.  If you can help me trouble shoot this issue please let me know.  thank you!

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

I have reached out to you through private message so I can gather more information from you.

webdude12
Star
Star

We are having this same issue.  Have tried the following:

Disconnecting Arlo from IFTTT and reconnecting.

Recreating the Applet with the exact same options and reselecting the camera and time.

Creating a whole new IFTTT account and linking it to Arlo

Trying to use Stringify instead

In all cases, we get a generic message of video can not be recorded. 

We do not use the IFTTT mobile app,  just access through the web browser.  Issue started for us on 11/21/2018 on all 4 cameras after working for over a year.

Not sure if a firmware update or a change to internal API for the Go cameras caused the issue.  Recording from the Arlo portal still works. 

Stephs_net
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi @webdude12.  Thank you for chiming in. The more people who report the problem the better chance we have of getting it fixed quickly.

I am sorry you are having the same problem. 

I have explored Stringify but I have not tried it.  I don't think it supports the Arlo Pro 2 cameras - at least they are not listed as a model on Stringify under Arlo. 

Does it?  Does it offer a way to record every hour?  I have not been able to find that function.

Thanks!  Stephanie

webdude12
Star
Star

Stringify does support recording, but again its not working either.  So it appears to be a change on Arlo's side of things.   

We do not use Stringify because it requires the mobile app, where IFTTT does not to have the function you are looking for.  You can just set it up through the web browser. 

We have even gone as far as to try some of the unsupported 3rd party APIs that give recording options and they are giving the same error.   So if I had to guess, its has nothing to do with the solution you want to use, but a change in Arlo's system that they did not pass over to IFTTT, Stringify, etc.  

TWConstruction
Tutor
Tutor

I'm having the same problem with two Arlo Go cameras. I have been using the IFTTT record every hour for the past 6-months without any problems and it stopped working after the last update. Please fix this. I'm using the hourly videos to monitor progress on a construction site.