Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 12 In Conversation
chipbennett
Initiate
Initiate

Setting up an IFTTT recipe to do something when Arlo detects motion is fairly straightforward. For example, it is simple to set my front porch Lifx light to turn on (or change color) when my front door Arlo camera detects motion. However, I can't seem to find/figure out a way to revert to the previous state after either a) a set time period, or b) the Arlo cam no longer detects motion.

I searched, but did not find a related thread. Any help would be appreciated. I'll be happy to publish/share any IFTTT recipe that may result.

18 REPLIES 18
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

chipbennett,

It seems that this would require an additional recipe telling it to revert to the previous state based on your conditions (A or B).

JamesC

chipbennett
Initiate
Initiate

Sure, that makes perfect sense. So, I suppose what I'm really asking is: how can Arlo trigger "no longer detecting motion" as the IF condition?

rkm
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi James - How would you "go back to previous state" as you said?

GeordieDan
Star
Star

Having just excitedly set up a new Hue system and linked to Arlo via IFTTT, I've found the exact same problem.

Lots of possibilities for "Turn lights on if motion detected", but zero way to turn them off again a few minutes later!

Is that really the case?? Seems more than a bit of a flaw in the system if so, what's the point of a motion activated light if I can't set it to turn off again without intervention?

GeordieDan
Star
Star

Are there any IFTTT experts on here who've managed to get around issues like this?

GeordieDan
Star
Star

Great to see a dedicated IFTTT sub-forum - that's progress thank you!

Is there any response to the fact that IFTTT integration with Hue seems largely pointless since we can't turn the damned lights back off again yet?

How about Smart Things integration news etc?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

GeordieDan,

It may be useful to take a look at the recipes for the Hue. There are several that can turn the light off based on certain conditions.

This one may be useful as well: https://ifttt.com/recipes/257291-toggle-hue-lights-on-off

JamesC

Troiano27
Aspirant
Aspirant

First I'm curious if anyone as figured this out?

im new to ifttt (as of today). Curious if I could create a recipe where when Arlo detects motion it starts a timer on my echo dot. So when motion is detected it triggers the light on and sets a timer on my echo for say 3 min. When timer end, it triggers echo to turn the light back off. Only problem im seeing is, it allows me to "if" arlo, but it wont allow me "then" amazon echo.

Troiano27
Aspirant
Aspirant

The only other idea i can come up with, would be to set up where the phillips light is turned off at every quarter hour (on the hour, quarter after, 30 after, 45 after). That way if its triggered, it will be turn off within 15 min, at the longest

Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice
I asked this question over 6 months ago, and James C. never followed up with a solution. I even brought up this issue last month while on a call with the Arlo development team member, and they only said to see if ifttt or Hue could help. Seems Arlo team is not focusing on Ifttt, but rather on new features and paid services coming based on cloud analytics offered from your video footage. I. E., not to record if movement of non human, etc.

Meaning, i dont expect any solutions from Arlo or Hue, but hopefully other third party developers for ifttt.
Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice
I dont understand why a simple recipe cant be made with a help from Arlo.

If motion detected, turn lights on to 100% brightness for 5 minutes, then go back to previous state (either off or my typical 20% on for front porch during the night).

If motion detected, and you have hue color bulbs, turn on bulb to 100% red color for 5 minutes. Then go back to previous state.

Seems as receipes like this would be the key need of consumers buying and arlo and having hue bulbs or other smart bulbs for the need of extra security and deterrent.
DeuceBG
Aspirant
Aspirant

Was there ever a resolution to this problem? I just live chatted with a rep and he suggested that modes on arlo could be used to trigger my HUE lights to turn off but that he was completely off.  Has anyone figured out how to turn off HUE lights if arlo does not detect motion?

malux
Initiate
Initiate

I've managed to create a reciepe using https://www.stringify.com

With this app, you can setup an entire workflow, here is mine : 

1) If it's dark outside + Arlo detects motion

2) Then turn on my Phillips Hue

3) Then send me notification

4) Then start counting down for 3 minutes

5) Switch off the Hue

It's trickier to setup then the Ifttt reciepes and a bit slower but it works.

pleeho
Initiate
Initiate

This is the correct solution as noted by the author above.

Try it - Stringify is free to sign up. 

Then you just create a program basically. It connects Arlo, HUE, and using its native timer and time of day applets, you can string together a flowchart to achieve the timer light effect you need. Fairly simple to set up and works well.

Wile
Aspirant
Aspirant
Stringify may work in simple conditions but you could get into multiple services/recipes competing for the same light.

1. Turn on light when there is motion after sunset, then go back to previous state.

2. Turn on light when you arrive home after sunset, then go back to previous state..

So the light is bright based on your location, you arrive home, then you trip the motion sensor and previous state is bright.

The right rule is go back to state it was in before the automatic overrides.

Of course another recipe could have turned it off in the timeout window when the sun came up. So the proper rules can get too complicated for ifttt or stringify.
LloydChristmas
Aspirant
Aspirant

Has this topic been solved?  I would like to be able to set lifx lights to come on when motion or sound is detected and then go off after a certain time frame.  

Thank you

malux
Initiate
Initiate

Try using stringify.com

Lowcarber
Tutor
Tutor

I have finally figured it out to .....

When motion is detected on Arlo - to turn ON my Hue light - leave on for 5 minutes - then turn OFF Hue light

I did this by using Stringify.com 

After adding my things - Arlo and Hue Lights (when I first tried this I was picking the wrong lights, it's all in the way they are described).

For Flow......

Arlo - set to - When Arlo detects motion ........ connect to........

Hue Light - set to - Turn on light....... connect to........

Timer function - set to however many minutes you want light to stay on........ connet to.......

Hue Light - set to - Turn off light

(don't forget to connect your actions)

I now have both Front and Back doors set up this way and they work.

The one thing I haven't figured out is to only do this Flow when it is dark out.  I tried putting the Date and Time function in the start and chose ...When it is dark outside..... but I couldn't then get it to *connect* to the next function, Arlo camera.  If anyone else has this figured out could you please let me know.