Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro Rules Keep Resetting

Discussion stats
  • 24 Replies
  • 11 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation
wethead4
Guide
Guide

Hello, I've had the Arlo Pro System with 4 cameras operating flawlessly for a few months now.  Beginning last week, everyday my rules and camera names would keep resetting to the default (serial number for the name, detect motion at 80% and do nothing when motion is detected).  I have to start from scratch and set the rules up once or sometimes twice a day (custom motion detection %, record from specific camera if motion is detected).  I use smartthings as well. Anyone know why this would happen?  Again, was working flawlessly until last week.  At first I thought it was the android app update that was released on the 23rd, but this issue began happening on the 26th.

24 REPLIES 24
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If a power cycle of the base doesn't fix it, I'd suggest opening a case with support using the Contact Support link at the bottom here.  It may or may not be related to ST - I suppose you could try to remove that from the equation to see what happens.

jcwrks
Luminary
Luminary

Before you use the android app I would log into the web browser interface to see if it was truly reset. If so then reconfigure through the web and don't use your mobile app (i'd uninstall it) for a day to see what happens.

klondike
Initiate
Initiate
I have the same problem. Since sometime last week, my rules reset every day, basically making my cameras useless for security. I also use SmartThings, just to turn the cameras on/off when we come and go.
albertsdad
Initiate
Initiate
I have exactly the same problem. I also have Arlo Pro operating in Smartthings Custom mode, in the UK. I have 4 cameras installed with several custom rules (one camera triggers another to record etc.). Yesterday I had to rewrite all the rules. This morning I have had a push notification from a camera that should only email, and a triggered recording from another camera. When I checked the app on my phone and then the web site on my PC, all rules but one have reset to default. Anybody else with this problem, or any solutions?
wethead4
Guide
Guide

albertsdad wrote:
I have exactly the same problem. I also have Arlo Pro operating in Smartthings Custom mode, in the UK. I have 4 cameras installed with several custom rules (one camera triggers another to record etc.). Yesterday I had to rewrite all the rules. This morning I have had a push notification from a camera that should only email, and a triggered recording from another camera. When I checked the app on my phone and then the web site on my PC, all rules but one have reset to default. Anybody else with this problem, or any solutions?

Rebooted the system yesterday, however my smartthings mode in arlo reset again this morning.  appears to do this every morning.  I am going to try armed mode today and see whatever i set in that mode resets to default in the morning. tomorrow i will try what jcwrks suggested by uninstalling app on my android phone, setting to smartthings custom mode again and see if that works. If thats the case, I hope the bug is fixed soon as I prefer smartthings integration. I submitted a ticket to arlo tech.  Is anyone running the smartthings mode on android and not experiencing this issue?

wethead4
Guide
Guide

Seems like a widespread problem at this point.  I posted the issues in the smartthings community and there were plenty of responses.  I'm actually pretty shocked that there wasn't a thread started on this topic before yesterday.  Anyways, RSCOTT over at the smartthings community came up with a clever work around until the issue is fixed. Basically, enable the existing Arlo "armed" rule and create a custom monitoring rule in Smartthings smart home monitor to start recording on motion, etc and use routines to turn on/off the cameras.

albertsdad
Initiate
Initiate

Today's update;

Deleted the android app from my phone and tablet and set my custom rules yesterday.

Today, as expected, all my custome rules have gone. I am left with 4 rules named with a random number.

3 cameras detect motion, "do nothing" and sent push notification. The 4th camera detects motion & audio, "do nothing and send push notification.

This does not relate to anything i had set previously.

I had a chat session with customer support at Netgear yesterday, and their take on it is everything should be controlled from Smartthings. This is fine but the workarounds can be quite lengthy compared to just using Arlo.

wethead4
Guide
Guide

albertsdad wrote:

Today's update;

Deleted the android app from my phone and tablet and set my custom rules yesterday.

Today, as expected, all my custome rules have gone. I am left with 4 rules named with a random number.

3 cameras detect motion, "do nothing" and sent push notification. The 4th camera detects motion & audio, "do nothing and send push notification.

This does not relate to anything i had set previously.

I had a chat session with customer support at Netgear yesterday, and their take on it is everything should be controlled from Smartthings. This is fine but the workarounds can be quite lengthy compared to just using Arlo.

Thanks for reporting back.  I don't understand how tech support is ok with that response when this functionality worked fine previously.  I would have preferred a "we're working on a solution" or even "we dont know the issue at this point".  

wethead4
Guide
Guide

Here is the response I got from the Arlo Tech.  Hopefully this is helpful to someone:

Hi Ray,

Thank you for your response and for the information that you provided.

Just to verify, you did associate your base station to the smartthings hub? If yes, you may need to contact smartthings support as we don't know the configurations in the smartthings hub.

Again, thank you for choosing NETGEAR.

Regards,

Eduardsen
Expert ID 46348
NETGEAR Support Expert

Exectioner
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same problems here...  Camera keeps resetting in the Smartthings Mode.  It resets the names and changes to no recording.  This is a nightmare.  Been working perfectly for the last several months, prior to this last intergration update.  

RichiePoo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same here. Every day the smartthings mode resets to useless settings, rendering the Arlo & smartthings integration useless. Sometimes it changes "if motion detected in living room, record video in living room for 120 sec" to something like "if motion detected in living room, record video in back yard for 1 second". Useless again. I want to record video in the room motion is detected in, and for the full length, no just one second.

Everything worked fine until around late March or early April. I keep fixing the rules and naming them and then wake up to the rules changed to senseless settings and the camera serial number for the rule name.

I've no idea if the fault lies with SmartThings or Arlo, but someone needs to fix it.

asinclair
Guide
Guide

I encounter a version of this bug too. In my case, it's just one of three cameras for which the rules get reset. The new rule is a series of numbers and it relates to a different camera (one for which the rule didn't get erased).

I am using Smartthings to simply turn one of the cameras on and off based on being home/away. The one that keeps resetting is subject to any on/off Smartthings control.

Jodiah
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the exact same issue.  I have Samsung Smart things and set up the Mode for logic accordingly.  However randomly (it seems) i will be wondering why my cameras are either not recording when they should, or are over recording.  It is because the settings per camera reset within the mode.  Some times when they reset it looks like it reset to a regular factory default, sometimes it's something weird, like "if detects motion - record on different camera".  I am very interested why any of this is happening.  It puts large holes in security of my properties.  I'd say its more than frustrating. 

asinclair
Guide
Guide

I used to have this problem with just one of three cameras (one that wasn't even set to toggle on/off via Smartthings). Lately, another camera has started having this problem. I assume it's something to do with a camera disconnecting, the Arlo settings being purged, and then re-connecting.

Is anyone having this problem without using Smartthings?

asinclair
Guide
Guide

I am trying the work around referenced here, which I found here. Has anyone had success with this?

Orph
Initiate
Initiate

I am new to using Arlo cameras but I am also experiencing problems with the smart things modes resetting. There are a number of posts with other users having the same problem. I was a little put off when the only Netgear support person's response was to contact Samsung, effectively just passing the buck. Netgear and Samsung both advertise your products work well together. You should either post a solution or at least acknowledge the problem and verify you are trying to solve it. This is not a user problem!

asinclair
Guide
Guide

The work around I referenced above did not work. The Arlo mode settings automatically changed back to Smartthings. The problem of mode settings resetting continues.

Has Netgear acknowledged this bug?

MSteadman
Aspirant
Aspirant

Still an issue - looks like many have bailed on this support site and are looking into this via Google and other forums-  any chance Netgear/Arlo folks are going to acknowledge this???   I have personally broken the integration w/SmartThings just to be able to continue recording and getting alerts, but I bought Arlo specifically because of the integration - I use the motion sensor in the cameras to control lights in smartthings, etc- but this is no longer an option for me until we get Arlo and Smartthings to fix this.

asinclair
Guide
Guide

The work around I referenced above actually does seem to be working now. I think the critical part is to set up the cameras as "Arlo" and *not* "Arlo Pro".

Orph
Initiate
Initiate

I found a work around that works. Create a new mode. I call it My mode. Set up the new mode the way you want the Smartthings mode to be setup. Select this new mode as the one you want to use. After everything is set up, delete the Smartthings mode. You may have to alter the geofencing mode so that it references your new mode and not the Smartthings mode before you can actually delete the Smartthings mode.  It is essential to delete the Smartthings mode. If you don't, it will be reselected as the mode to use and the problems will resume. I made these changes a month ago and everything has been stable since that time.

MSteadman
Aspirant
Aspirant
great call - this worked so far today so hoping it sticks- well done.
voodoo5
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yep - that works for me, too! Thanks! Btw. after adding a new camera I had to remove all Arlo devices from Smartthings first, then I was able to remove the Arlo SmartApp add-in.

Adrian97c
Guide
Guide
I’m here for same issue... I’m trying to re-setup ST by choosing Arlo, instead of Arlo Pro (as described above) & also re-creating rules using “my mode” & deleting ST mode, as described above.

Only thing I use ST for is a routine under SHM, doorbell rings camera records 30 seconds.
Adrian97c
Guide
Guide
Are you using Arlo Pro ST app? Or Wire free?

I have Arlo Pro2 system. So far your workaround is working, but I also switched to wire free app, but was thinking of going back to Arlo Pro ST app.