Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

I want Arlo doorbell to chime on Alexa but not ring my phone (as I had it set for months)

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Jennemike
Aspirant
Aspirant

We got an Arlo doorbell and camera in Dec. 2021.  We set up a main account for me and a secondary account for my husband.  We had the notification settings set up differently for each of us.  We also set up the Arlo to "chime" on our Alexa-enabled devices (Echo Show, Echo dots) when the doorbell was pressed WITHOUT ringing our phones.  I do not want my phone to ring every time someone (delivery driver, etc) rings the bell - the package alert setting was fine for that.  We charged the Arlo doorbell last week and now can't get this system to work anymore.  Our notification settings mirror each other (if one of us changes, it changes on both of our phones) and we can only get the chime on the Alexa devices if the phones ring.  Silent mode silences everything. Turning silence mode off makes everything (phone and Alexa) active.  We enjoyed the devices up until last week and just want to have it function the same way again.  Can anyone help? 

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Hi @Jennemike

After investigating, this is currently functioning as designed, it appears the partner application was updated to reflect this change. 

I will request a feature enhancement for the Alexa announcement to be implemented when calls are silenced. 

14 REPLIES 14
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Jennemike

Thanks for the update, Does the doorbell ignore the silent mode configuration on Both of the devices or just your granted access account? Are you using the Android or iOS app? Which version do you have installed on your devices? 

Jennemike
Aspirant
Aspirant

We are running iOs 15.4.1 and the Arlo app is version 3.6.4 (3405).  I am the main account and I granted access to my husband (different email).  Both of these accounts are now mirroring each other - meaning that if I turn on silent mode on my phone, his phone also goes to silent mode.  This was not the case previously, as he always had his on silent (he is in a job where he can't have notifications all the time) and I never did. 

Previously, we had it set so that the doorbell press rang our Alexa devices in the home, but not our phones.  I also had badge notifications for the doorbell and camera on my phone, but my husband did not. Now, if the doorbell is pressed, our phones both ring. If I activate silent mode, nothing rings on the Alexa or either of the phones. 

I don't understand what changed. I've tried restarting the doorbell. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thanks for the detailed info. Can you update the devices to the latest version of iOS 15.5. I have seen other issues occur with older versions of iOS. Also, can you try testing again with the latest version of the iOS app 3.6.5?

If you do not see the update in the App Store you can remove > Re-Install the Arlo app to receive the update. 

Jennemike
Aspirant
Aspirant

I updated both the phone and Arlo app (uninstalled and reinstalled the app).  

The problem continues.  If I have Silent Mode OFF, then we both receive phone calls whenever doorbell is pressed (and the chime rings on our Alexa devices, and I receive notifications on my phone).  If I have Silent Mode ON, then nothing happens: no calls, no chime, no notifications.  Our settings are still mirrored on both phones (meaning if Silent Mode is on one phone, the other one mirrors it - can't have silent mode on one phone and not the other). 

Even in Silent Mode, I can ask Alexa to "show me" the doorbell or camera, so I know they are working with the Echo Show. 

I appreciate your help and am very frustrated and confused as to why our system changed.  The doorbell is essentially useless to me right now.  I want it to function like a doorbell, without the call connection, as it did before. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Have you tried adjusting the Audio and Video Doorbell calls feature for the doorbell calls for his granted account? You can find this in Settings > (Account) > Grant Access > Select his account > Click Edit > Scroll Down, Audio and Video Doorbell calls (off).

Jennemike
Aspirant
Aspirant

OK, so I did what you suggested and it worked for my husband's phone.  However, it still rings to my phone (and the Alexa enabled devices).  So the problem is 50% solved, but I am stumped that we have a doorbell that can't function as a doorbell alone.  To be very clear: we had this working up until recently.  I went from Dec 2021 until May 2022 with the Alexa enabled devices ringing and my phone NEVER ringing.  Official Arlo case says that they never had this feature - that the only way to disable calls is to have silent mode on and then nothing will ring, but that wasn't the case up until 2 weeks ago.  We never would have kept the system if that was the case.  Thank you for your continued help.

Middle46
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am currently having the exact same issue, very frustrating. When I installed the device last year up to approx 2 weeks ago had silent mode enabled to prevent it calling my phone while alerting through alexa. Now if I turn it on silent get no notification at all, arlos this needs resolving. As I now have a smart doorbell that I can not use as intended when I first purchased. If anyone has found a fix, please let me know
Cliveblade
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have just had the wireless arlo doorbell fitted as part if a verisure.alarm system. But 1 dont have a chime, I run it through Alexa , question is van I turn the phone call off when in the proprtysbd just leave it to tong through Alexa, or do I have to purchase an arlo chime. to turn off the phone call ?
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

If I'm understanding you correctly, you can use the Silent Mode feature in the doorbell Device card settings to silence your phone.

Cliveblade
Aspirant
Aspirant
Sorry this doesnt work , dont have a chime for arlo only through Alexa, so switch phone to silent do not ring phone doesnt have a chime only feature listed , still rings phone and chimes through Alexa, very annoying
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I have provided these reports to the Dev team and I will update the thread as I hear more. 

Jennemike
Aspirant
Aspirant

While I am frustrated for you, I am glad that it is not only me that is having this issue.  I opened an official Arlo case with customer service and their final word is that what I had for months is not possible: you can't have silent mode on and the Alexa devices ring.  Which makes zero sense since we DID have that for months. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Jennemike

This is being looked in to, I'll provide another update as soon as possible. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Jennemike

After investigating, this is currently functioning as designed, it appears the partner application was updated to reflect this change. 

I will request a feature enhancement for the Alexa announcement to be implemented when calls are silenced.