Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Expose Arlo arm/disarm state in IFTTT / SmartThings

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
ldrojasm
Follower
Follower
Hi. Turns out that ST geolocation via cell phone sucks, but Arlo geolocation feature works really well. I’d like to use Arlo’s geolocation to switch my ST state (home/away). To do so, I have been trying to find a way to expose into ST some feature that Arlo would change when it goes into arm/disarm, but I have been unsuccessful. Ideally, Arlo’s arm state shows up as a switch in ST, then I can program routines based on it (if arlo is armed then go to away mode). Another idea I had was to have Arlo switch off the cameras when disarmed, and turn them back on when armed (camera on/off state is visible in ST as a switch), but I could not do this either. Any ideas on how to accomplish this? Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
brh
Master
Master

@ldrojasm

I would also like them to expose a way to trigger a recording based on luminance and other devices that I have rather than only on motion as it is right now. But, unfortunately, the people that would do this would be the ST or IFTTT engineers and I doubt if they have any inclination to do so. 

From my experimentation, Arlo and ST work exactly opposite from each other. Arlo expects the cameras to remain on at all times, (the on/off slider switch for each camera to be in the ON state), and the modes change whether or not the motion sensors pick up motion or not.

ST expects the cameras to be disabled, (on/off slider switch for each camera to be in the OFF position) and ST will change the state of the sliders for each camera that is selected by the routine or scene. Actually, I think ST's way is better as it saves battery life since the cameras are disabled until a routine enables them.

That being said, I don't believe that is possible unless the engineers at ST and IFTTT decide to expose these settings. You could com close to accomplishing what you want to do by leaving the cameras in the Arlo Geofencing mode and aarming/disarming through the routines in ST. It would not be automatic, though - you would have to manually arm/disarm the cameras in ST.

Brian

brh
Master
Master

@ldrojasm

I started using Life 360 and the accuracy of the ST geofencing is now nearly 100%. Plus, it is officially supported in ST and you can do other things with it.

Brian