Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Arlo camera stopped to be announce at alexa

Discussion stats
RGio
Follower
Follower

None of my cameras are announced anymore by Alexa. I tried to link account again and nothing happened. I tried articles at internet and there is not difference on notifications.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

This issue should now be resolved with no further action on your part.  if you are still experiencing this, you can try re-linking your Arlo account with Alexa. 

Thank you 

View solution in original post

54 REPLIES 54
duggyhow501
Guide
Guide

Hi, is there a way to get the Alexa arlo skill to recognize activity zones so that it won’t announce motion detection so much?  Has anyone else got this problem?  The activity zones work good for my phone but not Alexa.   Just wondering, thanks.  

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Alexa Arlo skill should recognize if the camera has an AZ.. so Alexa will only announce those motion triggers that are within the AZ. IS that what you were meaning?

duggyhow501
Guide
Guide

Hi, I can’t get Alexa to recognize the activity zones.  If someone has been able to do this please let me know.  It’s just annoying to hear the Alexa notification over and over about a bush swaying  in the wind that I have taken care of in the activity zones.  I don’t get a notification on my phone anymore since I set my activity zones.  Thanks.  

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Was you able to get Alexa working with Arlo?

duggyhow501
Guide
Guide

Hi, no, I wasn’t.  It seems that no one is trying to fix this.  Neither Arlo or Amazon.  It’s an ongoing issue as I sometimes I  have to turn the notification off.  It’s a very helpful feature but it needs to recognize the activity zones from the app.  I guess it may not be possible.  Thanks for asking.  Please let me know if someone has fixed this.  God bless.  

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

We are currently looking into this. I will update the community as soon as I have an update. 

duggyhow501
Guide
Guide

OIC , thanks so much for the update.  God bless.  

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Looking into this further this is expected behavior. However, there has been a feature request submitted to the development team. 

head_scratcher
Tutor
Tutor

We have four cameras.  3 Pro 5 2K cameras and one flood light camera.   All cameras had been included in our Alexa skill and they were announcing motion alerts just fine for almost a  year.   Last week (July 18 or July 19), Alexa stopped announcing motion for two of our Pro 5's and our flood light.   The remaining Pro 5 never stopped working on Alexa.  

I tried all the troubleshooting I knew to do (tinkering with motion notifications, echo devices, etc.), and then I called Amazon to see if Alexa support could help.   They said the Arlo skill does not support Pro 5, but we clearly have one working.   And Arlo says Alexa works with all cameras.   Anyway, Amazon had me delete all the cameras from the skill, disable the skill, re-add them, try to use a routine, toggle notifications on and off, and on so on.   Nothing worked.

I then deleted all of the cameras from Arlo app, took them down and updated the firmware, replaced them and reinstalled them in the Arlo app.   The cameras all work and send notifications in the app.   But Alexa only announces motion on the one camera.

Is this a skill problem?   If so, Arlo is the skill developer, right?  

HopperPilot
Tutor
Tutor
JellyBrain
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’m having the same problem. Was working fine. Possible related to the crowdstrike update and outages? Happened right about that time. In general the connection between the two has been pretty fussy.  I’ve had it stop working before and then start again weeks later all without any changes on my end. Once it stopped when I put an Alexa unit in “do not disturb” mode but then it no longer announced at all after I took it out of that mode. It’d be nice if they could improve the link, like making the Alexa announcements work within the zones you can set up in Arlo. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@RGio What are the models of the cameras affected by this?

bigben89
Guide
Guide

I have Pro 3 cameras. They are synced with Alexa routines and they’re not working.

erhanson
Aspirant
Aspirant

Essential Wired Video Doorbell stopped notifications with Alexa skill about a week ago.

BOBROB1919
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes i've had the same issues too,no motion alerts from any of my alexa devices. everything else works fine, even viewing live view in the alexa app, hopefully they can resolve it soon.

CMM1028
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have four Ultra cameras and they all stopped announcing motion about a week ago. Everything else seems to be working fine.

bigben89
Guide
Guide

What a bunch of crap…

Mickbrenrenn
Guide
Guide

Today is 7/28.  Beginning last week Alexa routines no longer work with activity zones set.   If I remove activity zones Alexa routines work fine.  
Suddenly happened at my house and at my moms house. Not  just my cameras.  Been working for years.  Not anymore.

Any ideas ?   Something clearly chsngef. 

JaG74
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same, all of my cameras have stopped announcements. Relinked account but made no difference, frustrating. Pretty much a worthless skill now.

luzond
Aspirant
Aspirant

Any updates on this?  I'm seeing the same.

Reproman
Star
Star

Same here. Alexa stopped announcing motion at wired Video Doorbell connected via WiFi about a week ago. Doorbell camera image can be seen on Echo Show and Alexa app, so they are connected. Not in "Do not Disturb" mode. Tried all the usual disabling/enabling but no change. Was working perfectly until it wasn't.

head_scratcher
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for this @Mickbrenrenn 

I deleted the activity zones on the cameras that Alexa was not announcing and bingo!   Alexa immediately started to announce motion in these cameras.   This is not optimal for any users that are trying to filter motion, but it at least proves the issue is on the Arlo side, for certain.   

Mickbrenrenn
Guide
Guide

Agreed.  Much prefer to be able to set activity zones.   Not sure what changed a couple of weeks back but clearly an issue.   

Reproman
Star
Star

Thanks for the suggestion. Deleting the Activity Zone on my Video Doorbell worked for me as well, as Alexa is now announcing motion. But I created the Activity Zone to deter passing traffic from triggering the motion alert. I hope the previous functioning with Activity Zones can be restored.