Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
kodiak80
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 5 Arlo Wirefree cameras setup, with the system configured in Armed Mode.  When I edit my rules, they remain that way for a few hours, and then at least one rule is replaced with a rule named with a camera serial number.  The new rule is consistently looking for motion on one camera and recording on another. 

I have repeatedly edited the rules with new names, and setting them to the desired camera for motion and recording on the same camera.  Consistently, the rules lasts (and works) for only a few hours before it is replaced.  The issue seems to be tied to the last two cameras I added to the system, so I removed them to try an re-pair.  However, after removing 2 of my 5 cameras, I still have 5 rules in my Armed mode with no way to delete them.

I'm getting close to returning the system as it's just not useable.  I can't get rules to save, and I'm getting a lot of notifications form the undesired rules that keep getting created.  Any help would be appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Sounds like you have a Smartthings hub integrated.

Can you create a custom recording mode?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Somehow in some way, sounds like the base got glitched... ( unless running some form of IFTTT )

Before returning the system , I would at least try and do a full reset.  Remove all the cameras ( REMOVE DEVICE ) and a factory reset of the base ( hold in reset for 10 sec or so till the front LEDs flash amber... then bring back all the cameras as if new.

The above rebuilds all the Mode/ rules to default settings and then bring back custom rules one at a time if any.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
kodiak80
Aspirant
Aspirant

I do have it integrated with SmartThings, though I'm not using it in the ST mode.  Is this known or expected behavior with ST?  I did create a custom mode, but it's exhibiting the same behavior of changing the rules arbitrarily.  I haven't yet reset the system, but it's looking like that's my next option.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

If you have ST doing anything with modes or routines or geolocation, this is what seems to happen. The way ST seems to be designed is it creates a smartthings mode with camera serial number rules with one camera detecting motion and another camera doing nothing. Then, in the ST app, you can have the cameras record as part of the SHM and view the videos within the SHM menu. Not sure about other recording outside of the SHM.
I have ST integrate with Arlo but I don't have the cameras in anything besides a smart lighting smart app to turn on outside lights with detecting motion at night.
I then run a custom mode within Arlo and record to the Arlo servers and it seems to stay that way and not change to smartthings mode or change any of the camera rules

Tonyt23
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the same problem I have renamed my cameras and set them up in Rules to each record when motion is detected by that camera but then when I look at the Rules again they have reverted back to not recording and all aimed at one camera. When I first got Arlo it all worked OK. I have it running with Samsung smartthings
kodiak80
Aspirant
Aspirant

While I have my Arlo integrated with ST, i moved it to using the Armed and a Custom mode.  It continues to rplace my rules, even in the non-ST mode.  My integration with ST is only to turn the cameras on and off, using the non-ST rules to actuall start the recording.  This certainly sems like a bug.  Has Netgear weighed in on this?