Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Cameras works with Amazon Fire TV when link your Amazon Echo

Discussion stats
bhusband
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arlo Cameras works with Amazon Fire TV - Follow the steps below:

Enable the Arlo skill for your Amazon Echo

Link your Amazon Echo to your Amazon Fire TV under Movies, Video & Books

Select Fire TV

Then say Alexa show (use your camera name) it takes about 30 seconds to show on your TV.

Enjoy your Camera view on the big screen and use Amazon Echo for hands free control of your TV!☺

39 REPLIES 39
Papavonmaxi
Star
Star
Hi Jill, which device did You ask to do that? And at which firmware Level ist that device? I have had the same Problems before...but could solve it!
Mssbjh
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the Arlo Pro and the q's. They are added to my SmartThings as well. They are syncedbto my Alexa app. I have the fire stick 2nd edition. But all I ever get is the same response when I ask Alexa to show me a specific camera. .." that device doesn't work with...."
Thx
Papavonmaxi
Star
Star
Did you press the voice button on the fire tv rc and then tell the stick „Alexa, show cameraname“ ? The Name should be known to Alexa by the linked skill.
makaveli1
Guide
Guide

thanks for the tip

this does indeed work. There is a 5-7 second lag between the TV and the camera.

It can take some time to connect which I'm still trying to figure out. But still useful. 

Samj406
Aspirant
Aspirant
If using a fire stick, link your arlo up to your Alexa in the alexa app and enable the skill. Then use the remote control voice cammand button and say "show (camera name)". This opens the arlo camera view via the fire stick, onto your tv screen.
Samj406
Aspirant
Aspirant
While having fire stock on, use the voice command button on your fire stick remote and say "show (cam name)" hope that works for you as it does for me.
menuki
Guide
Guide

I've tried all the above linking, phrases, etc and every time, Alexa responds to my query with 'I couldn't find a camera in that group'. Has anyone else had this? Google came up with nothing! I get this response for requests on all of my cameras. My Pro/Pro 2 cameras are 'grouped' to the base station but I have a Q Plus that's not in a group and it says the same for that. I don't know what to try.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @menuki,

What Amazon device are you trying to view where you're experiencing this problem?

menuki
Guide
Guide

I've tried just using a Fire TV Stick (2nd gen) and via an Echo.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Try to disable the Alexa skill and re-enable it and see if that resolves the issue. You can read more here on how to use your Amazon devices with your Arlo Cameras: How can I use Amazon devices with my Arlo cameras?

RWA96
Aspirant
Aspirant

The extra step needed I found after enabling the arlo app is to navigate to Smart Home > add a device (+ symbol top right) > Add Device > Scroll Down to Camera > Netgear Arlo and tap on DISCOVER DEVICES at the bottom. Let the app sniff out your cameras on your network, then the cameras will work. This worked on my Firesitck Gen2 linked to Echo dot, did not work on Gen1 firestick. 

VABlitz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Do you need the Echo? According to Amazon's website, you need one of the following and the cameras:

FireTV any generation

Fire Stick 2nd gen or newer

Echo Show

Samj406
Aspirant
Aspirant
We have a fire stick and echo dot.
RWA96
Aspirant
Aspirant

@VABlitz
Aspirant

No need for the Echo. You need to have the Alexa App installed on your phone or tablet, that's how you discover the cameras on your network. I couldn't get the first generation Firestick to work with my Arlo Pro2 cams the app told me it wasn't supported.. 

Ssnaples
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have an echo dot and firetv stick 4k. If I press the voice button on the firetv remote and say "show front door" it works as expected. When I talk to the echo dot, and say the same thing I get "sorry, cameras do t work on this device". Ia there a way to program alexa to perform a series of functions? I have a harmony hub as well... so when I tell alexa (via dot) "show the front door" what I really want is for alexa to turn o. The TV, turn on the amp, set the correct inputs, and show the front door. If the firetv remote can do this, then This has to be possible with a routine or something. Any thoughts here?