Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Ziya
Apprentice
Apprentice
Is anyone having issues with the alexa and arlo. Past couple of days iv noticed my alexa echo show now does not bring up camera picture when motion detection is detected. I have a routine set up on alexa app to display picture of my camera when motion is detected and it has now stopped working. Iv reset the hub. Disabled the skill deleted all cameras. Reinstalled everything. Still no luck. I dont even get normal standard notifications via alexa when motion is detected too.
Arlo you need to sort out your game. This is unacceptable.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thank you for all your feedback. The notification issue with Alexa and announcing notifications is now resolved. You should not need to re-link any accounts with Alexa. 

View solution in original post

108 REPLIES 108
polocruz
Tutor
Tutor

Just installed the video doorbell... Cannot get Echo Show, 2nd Gen to announce when the button is pressed.  Arlo firmware was updated.  Alexa skill, installed/uninstalled/installed.  Tried "fixes" from previous threads.  Looked like this was an issue before.  

Disappointed, specially because of this press release:

https://www.yahoo.com/now/arlo-offers-comprehensive-third-party-120100893.html

Any advice?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

HI @polocruz

The dev team would like to take a closer look in to this issue you are experiencing. Would you mind providing an Arlo App Diagnostics log to us? I can provide further instructions.

polocruz
Tutor
Tutor

Sure, send me the procedure to capture the log.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Perfect thanks. May I ask if you are using an Android or iOS device?

polocruz
Tutor
Tutor

Android 10 on phone.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @polocruz

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you were able to retrieve/send in a log so we can investigate this? are you still experiencing the issue you reported previously? 

Thanks

kemyst
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’m having this exact same issue since I upgraded my free account to commercial account with Arlo, Alexa devices no longer announce triggers on doorbell. I have tried reinstalling & toggling the Amazon Alexa app settings, but it appears as Arlo cloud is simply no longer sending the notifications to Slexa. My notifications on Arlo app & Apple Watch work correctly. Any idea how to fix?
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @kemyst

Have you tried to double check all the settings from this article here? How can I use my Arlo Doorbell with Amazon Alexa?

kemyst
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes, have double checked settings. In fact, removed & reinstalled, can’t seem to get it back to the working state before I upgraded the Arlo cloud plan from free to commercial. Fault happened when I paid, no configuration changes made to my devices. Now reinstalling Arlo app on Alexa & everything else I try doesn’t seem to get me anywhere. Any other suggestions?
Smugwaa
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same is happening for me !
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

HI,

Are you still experiencing this issue? 

Smugwaa
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yep. Verisure said they can’t help now.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Are you still experiencing this issue?

Royyip
Aspirant
Aspirant
I just bought a set of Arlo, doorbell and camera, the first day is okay to announcing to my echo 10 , the 2nd day cant make any announcement. I have deleted or changed Amazon account and reinstall everything to try, but that is not work back overall, doorbell and Camera both are not work, please advise how to do and fit it
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Royyip,

Is the doorbell and camera online and working correctly within the Arlo mobile app? Are you only experiencing an issue with Alexa?

JamesC

DigitalCK
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've seen a handful of threads about this but none that solved my problem.

I have the Video Wired Doorbell, and an array of Alexa devices - Echo Show 5, Echo Dot 4thGen, etc.

I reduced the resolution of my doorbell to 1080 as stated in other threads.  I *am* able to tell Alexa "Show me the front door" (name of the device in my apps), and it will connect to Arlo and show a live feed.

My problem is here, though - I do not get notifications on the devices for either motion or button press.  My ideal state is announcement via audio on the Alexa devices *AND* live video on the Show devices automatically when it occurs.

For reference, here are some of my key settings:

Arlo Wired Doorbell:

- Connected to Wifi, no issues

- Silent mode = off

- Doorbell LED = both options on

- Traditional Chime = Mechanical

- Firmware up to date (1.14.0.0_1189_xxxxx)

- Hardware 1.2

- Video Auto HDR on, Night Vision on, Quality, 1080x1080

- Call settings - all items on

- No chime paired

Alexa Arlo settings:

- Connected to same Wifi network, device names matching

- Announcement devices - "3 Echo Devices" (Dot with clock, Show 5, and Show 8 )

- Motion Announcements - On

- Doorbell Press Notifications - On

- Doorbell Sound - Blink

- Connected Via "Arlo"

- Enabled = On

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you double-checked that the doorbell is armed?  Maybe also double-check that nofifications are enabled in the rule inside the mode.

Likely you checked this too - but you didn't mention it.

DigitalCK
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, the doorbell is armed.

For the rules on notification, it is set to:

If Motion on Front Door -> Record Video, Alert Push Notification.

I do receive notifications on my phone (including the "Phone Call" thing) both on motion and butto press.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DigitalCK wrote:

I do receive notifications on my phone (including the "Phone Call" thing) both on motion and butto press.

Got it.  So the problem is specific to the Alexa Show.

tobydz
Aspirant
Aspirant

In the Arlo developed Alexa skill, I see where I can turn announcements on and off, but how do I go about setting how long until the notification retriggers? Disabling Arlo notifications isn’t sufficient for a couple reasons:

1. It requires direct human action, which either may not be possible, or at minimum defeats the purpose of ‘automation’.

2. It would mute all notifications. I would like to mute the front door announcements but still would like to know if someone is sneaking around my back yard

iceman80
Tutor
Tutor

Hello, I recently purchased an Alexa Echo Show 8 and activated the Arlo skill.  Using the voice commands shown in the Arlo skill description, everything seems to work well except for one excruciating problem.  When I say to the Echo Show "Alexa, show me the front porch", it pulls it up in full screen perfectly.  No complaints.

However, if I then say "Alexa, show me the back yard", she go to the homepage of the Echo Show and only shows the backyard in a tiny 1x2" picture in picture.  Nothing I can say can just exit this picture in picture mode.  Saying "Alexa, stop" doesn't work (per Arlo's skill instructions to stop a stream), saying "Alexa, hide the back yard camera" does nothing as well.  There are only two ways to get out of this picture in picture mode.  One is to say "Alexa, show me the front porch" and Alexa seems to exit the picture in picture and go back to the full screen on the front porch.  Then, I can say "Alexa, stop" and about 50% of the time, Arlo quits.  Otherwise, it does nothing and just stays on that front porch live feed.  The only other way to exit picture in picture?  By using the touchscreen and clicking the "X" on the picture in picture.

I don't understand why when I have a live video feed up and then say "Alexa, show me *some other camera*" that it puts the new camera I want to see in a tiny 1x2" picture in picture while the rest of the 8" Echo Show is just showing the home screen.

Just to add, I also have an Echo Show 5.  Arlo works 1000% better on that device.  When I ask to see a camera, it comes right up.  When I ask to see another camera (while that first camera is still showing), it closes the current camera and opens the next camera up full screen with no problems.  I can also say "Alexa, go home" at any time I have a live feed showing and it just goes home.  If I have a live feed showing on the Echo Show 8 and say "Alexa, go home", it puts the live feed into the stupid picture in picture in the corner of the screen and the rest of the screen "goes home".  I've found no way to turn off picture in picture entirely on the Echo Show 8 but I'm most likely going to return it and stick with the Show 5 so I don't have to deal with such drama on the 8 (and I assume the 10 has this problem as well).

Any ideas from you all before I give up?

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

May I ask which troubleshooting steps you have performed so far? I don't want to suggest anything you have previously performed.

iceman80
Tutor
Tutor
Shayne I really appreciate the response. This has now been made into an Arlo suppprt case so I’m speaking with them there but should I also speak with you here, so that maybe it would help with the rest of the community if it comes up again for someone?
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thanks for the update, feel free to communicate with tech support. Let me know if you need further assistance and I'll be here to help.