Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
leonejames1
Initiate
Initiate

I am being alerted to motion detection, and when I go to my cameras, the 'last still' imagae shows someone on my dorrstep... but then there is no recording and i don;t get the second alert to the recording. It's detecting the motion but not recording..

plenty of space and battery is full

it is sporadic..

what is the deal?>??

51 REPLIES 51
hebutts
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same as all the others.  It was working fine on the day I setup my system, Friday, Jan 8th.  But today it is doing eratic things like sending the notification but no video in the library.  The, after about 3hrs, I received 4 videos in my library.  Since they appeared there has been more notifications but no more videos.  I have tried this on both our Galaxy 4 phones and even on my wifes iPad and it is the same.  I have checked all the settings since this is my 3rd, and LAST, Arlo camera.  I thought third times a charm but not in this case.  I am also very familiar with the settings as I have been in touch with Arlo Tech Support on 2 previous occasions for my previous cameras.

😞

xroot
Aspirant
Aspirant

The system is worthless to me at this point. As i've seen we are all Beta TESTERS.

Who needs camera without MAIN Feature ?

Shame.. i cannot also return my Arlo to shop...

Xroot

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A fix was implemented that should resolve the intermittent issues with accessing the library and live streaming. We will continue to monitor the system closely. Please let us know if you continue to experience these issues!

JamesC

nickomash
Star
Star

James,

Is this "Fix" something that we need to perform? Is this something that will be downloaded in an update? If there is a new version/revision may I have the version number I should be on to know that I have the latest "fix"?  Just telling us it should be fixed doesnt really answer any of our concerns or informs of when or how we should be testing. Are there patch notes?

Thank you

nickomash

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

nickomash,

The fix was deployed to the Arlo cloud. No action is needed on the user end for this to take effect.

Latest Base Station firmware is: 1.7.1_4638

JamesC

xroot
Aspirant
Aspirant

Today is 18.01.2016 but still my Arlo is not recording - library is empty. I am getting only push notifictaion. When will be this fixed ?

rolltidefan
Tutor
Tutor

I just set my system up last night.  Motion detection worked fine when setting up and testing, but failed to capture anything this morning.  I have the camera pointed towards my driveway, so it should have captured me leaving for work this morning.  It detected and recording me leaving my house last night, but not this morning.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Log into the app or browser and check the running man for each camera. If black,vthe camera should record. If gray, the camera is disarmed. If the latter, you need to select a mode that enables the cameras. If using a schedule, ensure it's configured properly.

rolltidefan
Tutor
Tutor

So the running man is black.  I have noticed it turns amber when motion is detected if you happen to be viewing it at that time. I have "All Motion On" enabled.  What concerns me is I didn't change any settings between last night and this morning.  It picked up the same motion (me leaving my front door) last night, but not this morning.  I have noticed that it has started working again now.  I've adjusted the sensitivity level to ber more sensitive since it has a longer than expected recording delay this morning.

nickomash
Star
Star

Issues are persistent. We now have one camera that is not activating on Motion Detection and the other is still reporting but not recording any data. I am still receiving notifications of motion, can see a new still image on the cameras page, but never receive the video on the library page. All previous issues are still occurring as well that was mentioned in my previous forum post.  At best this "fix" worked for one camera for about 48 hours and now everything is happening exactly as I described it prior. 

Persistent Issues:

Being notified of Motion Detection via Android App. - Never receiving any library footage of motion detected. 

I am giving the system 30+ min to upload 2min of video to the cloud. It is not like I am getting a notification and immediately checking the library. I understand it takes time to process the footage and upload to the Arlo cloud. The issue is that regardless of how long you wait no library footage is never uploaded/seen. 

The time from when motion is detected to the time the video starts is worse. I am now getting 10+ seconds from motion being recognized and not ever seeing anything in the frame when it actually does record do to the time it takes the camera to turn on. I can open the door walk inside, shut and lock the door and never recieve any footage of anyone entering the home. The notification comes almost instantly, but if the footage ever records its only me walking away for a split second. I was infront of the camera for over 45 seconds and it only recorded 2.8 seconds of actual needed footage. Someone could slowly break into my home and this camera would not even pick it up!

Again the entire system is pointless to my needs as it does not perform in the manner it was advertised. 

Emdl7
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm not getting any notifications on any movement on my iPhone. At notifications setting everything is on. What can I do to get notifications on iPhone and also to record motion
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

What model / ios version 

But for basics, make sure each camera is turn on to alert ( as now it is per camera for pushes and emails ). Also make sure notifications are turned on in the IOS app under APP-Settings

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
placerman
Guide
Guide
I'm still having the issue of no recording after a motion alert. I have auto update set for the updates but still have this issue a few times a week.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

placerman,

I have not been able to replicate any issues receiving recordings after a motion alert. Are you still experiencing this behavior?

JamesC

TexasSwede
Guide
Guide
>The time from when motion is detected to the time the video starts is worse.
>I am now getting 10+ seconds from motion being recognized and not ever
>seeing anything in the frame when it actually does record do to the time it
>takes the camera to turn on. I can open the door walk inside, shut and lock
>the door and never recieve any footage of anyone entering the home.
>The notification comes almost instantly, but if the footage ever records its
>only me walking away for a split second. I was infront of the camera for over
>45 seconds and it only recorded 2.8 seconds of actual needed footage.
>Someone could slowly break into my home and this camera would not even
>pick it up!
I am experiencing the same. I have plenty of deliveries coming to my front door, down a long driveway. Despite at last 75 ft of the driveway being visible, often I only see a quick hint of the delivery guy as he walk under the camera. It takes at least 10-15 seconds for the camera to start recording.

This is not good.
placerman
Guide
Guide
Yes. Seems intermittent.
placerman
Guide
Guide
When I have the motion capture issue I know because I catch the person on another camera. A lot of the time the problem camerate may notify me but no video shows up in the apartment or browser versions.
nickomash
Star
Star

I will be starting my review process of Netgear/Arlo through Amazon and other online retailers tomorrow. If you read my previous posts in this forum you'll understand why. I have spent to much time frustrated with this product with empty results from support. I have wasted $396 USD on this product and feel obligated to inform others so they too do not waste their money on this sub par product. The advertisements and function of these devices are misleading to say the very least. If this were an automobile or something of more vaule I would be contacting my attorney. In this case I can only do my very best to affect sales and educate potential customers of a scam.

Last time I purchase products from Netgear.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

nickomash,

I will reach out to you in a private message concerning this issue.

JamesC

ilevene
Initiate
Initiate

These cameras are junk.  They don't properly record motion.  it's a good thing I'm a writer for a major publication, where I can warn the buying public away from this horrible product.  You have not fixed this issue as of 1/30/16.

nickomash
Star
Star

JamesC I appreciate your attempt at help and contact, however I no longer wish to try. After months of troubleshooting and apparent "backend server" fixes the outcome always remains the same and the functionality of the device is diminshed.  It is not worth the time or effort anymore. I have been duped and the process of having to come read forums and reach out to support multiple times a week is not conducive to a quality product, that, I think we can both agree on.

Thanks for your help and passing along my information, but the product you are supporting is misleading, faulty, and inconsistent. I no longer wish to be apart of the Netgear/Arlo community either as a client/customer or a consumer. The company you are supporting has made me feel duped and stupid. It has taken $396 USD out of my personal account. It has caused grief and anger within my family.

At the very least I would ask that you forward this message to someone who needs to see/hear what real customers are experiencing.  

As for your product, all cameras, mounts and base station are currently boxed up and sitting in a pile in my garage. I imagine we will hold them for a few months and then just trash them as thats where products like this belong. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

FWIW, some folks with continuous problems have resolved their issues with an RMA for a defective base.  Not every case is like theirs but electronics can fail in weird ways that aren't obvious.

nickomash
Star
Star
That doesn't resolve the misleading of customers that I had mentioned in previous posts. A new base station is not going to allow for 2 cameras to record simultaneously, nor will it improve outdoor battery life. I highly doubt it will do anything to address the latency in camera activation prior to recording either. None of my issues were with connection.

If what you are saying is true, then all the users of these forums were sent a sub par product that requires multiple returns before randomly getting a unit that works is only solidifying the fact the product and company are garbage. Thanks for your intelligent(?) Comment though, jguerdat..... hope you were paid well.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Arrogant much? I paid for my system just like you and have never been paid for my efforts to help nor have I worked for Netgear in any way. I'm a user like you, just prefer to actually try to help.

The base can be the cause of weak/bad WiFi connections with the cameras which affect battery life. I have 3 outdoor cameras and don't have battery life issues with rechargeables or non- rechargeables. A poor signal could cause additional lag since the communication has to be there to work. Normal lag is about 2 seconds and there's nothing to be done. Bigger lag indicates various things including improper position and/or angle. Motion ACROSS the FOV and being detected near the edges works best. Putting the motion to be detected in the middle of the FOV is the usual issue.

nickomash
Star
Star

2,000 Posts in a random support forum and you do not represent Netgear/Arlo or its interests? Sorry if I misjudged you, but that is remarkable attempt to support random people. In fact if the product is as quality as your making it out to be, than 2,000 posts seems excessive. Read my previous posts within this same thread. Its only 5-6 pages deep. I had tried for months to position, align, etc. Now I am so frustrated with this product that the support forums are only adding to my distaste.

Product is garbage.

Support = Community.

Netgear/Arlo support = I am going to PM you. = Hi, I am sorry about your problem. = 1 week wait. = A server fix has been applied. The issue your reported has been resolved. 

Rinse, Wash, Repeat...

Ill remove myself from the thread entirely to prevent any more off topic chatter.