Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

motion detection & recording time

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
itjan
Follower
Follower

Want to buy but...

1. For small yard/townhouse, seems that I'd have to buy one camera for optimum detection, then another for best viewing angle to see what's happening. True?

2. Are recording times additive--i.e. first triggers, records ?120 seconds, but before then another triggers: will all keep recording or all stop after max time of first camera?

Thank you!

1 REPLY 1
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy
  1. I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you saying you need two cameras per observation spot, one to trigger, one to record - on principle?

Usually that isn't required. However, for some people in certain locations and/or scenarios the delay between triggering and beginning of recording is not acceptable and a suggested workaround - though a rather expensive one, because you are degrading a camera to sensor only - has indeed been to use one camera as a trigger and another to use as the recording device. By intelligent placement of the trigger camera one could achieve a better recording behavior of the recording camera, i.e. begin recording before a potential intruder even enters the frame, which, of course, is impossible to achieve with a single camera.

For just such a scenario users have actually suggested separte motion sensors be developed.

2. Recording times are definitely not additive. I.e. the initial trigger prompts a recording of the predefined length. Only if another trigger event occurs after the first recording has completed, will it record a second clip.

An additive behavior has actually also been suggested in the Arlo Idea Exchange, a dedicated forum in which users suggest new features that they'd like to see implemented. Some of these have actually been picked up and rolled out in recent system updates. Users upvote an idea by clicking on the "Kudos" counter of an idea post. This allows Netgear to gauge user interest. So, there is a chance that this feature could be implemented in the future.
Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation