Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

motion detection through a window

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
brandon95
Follower
Follower

i just brought the wireless system and it doesn'y seem to pick up motion through my windows is there any requirements or tips to make it work better through the windows?

5 REPLIES 5
ws1088
Guide
Guide

To my knowledge the camera will not work through windows because the motion sensor is triggered by HEAT. Cameras from other brands which are AC powered can do motion sense by comparing frame-by-frame pictures. I think Netgear's Q camera (which is AC powered) can do that. 

However, keep in mind that even those camera which are AC powered will not work well through windows at night, because the IR led will be used and the glare will bounce back to the camera.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Correct... On the Arlo camera, the IR ( used by the PIR trigger device ) is blocked by most glass so detection doesn't work thru glass

The Q camera is 'pixel' based motion detect ( sees changes in the actual picture ) and will work thru glass without the IR illuminators ( which will bounce back washing out the lens view )

But the Arlo camera is weather resistant and can easily be place out side to solve this problem.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
ws1088
Guide
Guide

Yeah, I guess there is no "best of both world". Either you consistently eat up battery/power to to pixel analysis, or passively (eat up much less juice) receive heat-based IR...

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

ws1088 wrote:

Yeah, I guess there is no "best of both world". Either you consistently eat up battery/power to to pixel analysis, or passively (eat up much less juice) receive heat-based IR...

If I wasn't clear...

The Arlo cam uses batteries and a PIR ( passive infra red detector )

The Q cam is ac powered and pixel base motion detect.

Morse is faster than texting!
ws1088
Guide
Guide

Yup, you are clear. I understand. Thanks!

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation