Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Wire-Free - Under Mode>My Devices, only shows the base station

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
woolenegg
Tutor
Tutor

I have installed the base station and synced my 2 cameras and both are working and will show video. When I login and choose Mode, I only see the base station listed under "My Devices." Is this correct? It seems that it should show the base and both cameras. The base station right now is set to All Motion On. Both cameras will detect motion (I just walked past one and it recorded video and sent me an email), but I want to have each camera with its own Mode and Rules. 

Thanks,

Karen

(apologies if this in the wrong forum; I thought Apps seemed appropriate)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

woolenegg wrote:

Schorschi wrote:

This is correct. The device activations are configured inside the modes, actually the rules within the modes. If you had more base stations they'd appear on the left under your existing base station.

So, at the moment I have one camera installed outside. I went ahead and created a Custom Mode for that camera (it records on motion, active all the time). Once we decide where to put the second camera, we will likely not want to have it active all the time. Do I create a second Mode for the second camera? Or do I create a new Rule within the existing Mode that only applies to the second camera?

Yes, you would create (at least) a second mode, however, not expressly because of your second camera. Only one mode can be active at any given time, so you create modes according to what combinations of cameras you want to be active at any given time. Additional configuration settings could even add to the number of modes you need.

For instance, with two cameras, you can have four possible combinations of on/off between your two cameras:

1. Camera A off, camera B off.
  2. Camera A off, camera B on.
  3. Camera A on, camera B off.
  4. Camera A on, camera B on.

You may not need all combinations, but this is the theoretical maximum. #1 is already covered by the default Disarmed mode. However, if you need modes 2 through 4, then you'll need to add two more custom modes to your current single custom one.

The number of modes can grow even more when you choose to have varying trigger and/or recording parameters at different times of day or for different purposes.

For instance, I have a camera that if triggered at a sensitivity setting of above 90 during the day, will create a lot of false postive motion events during the afternoon when the sun hits my backyard at a certain angle. I have to dial the sensitivity setting down for that camera during daytime hours in order to avoid the many false trigger events. So, because of that I had to create an additional mode that I suffixed with "(Night)". At night I activate that mode at which the camera is set to a sensitivity level of 93, during the day another mode has the camera set to a sensitivity of 80.

Likewise, there could be other scenarios in which you might change other parameters, for instance you might decide you wanted to record at varying lengths, like 30 seconds during the day and 90 seconds at night.

So, the number of modes you need is governed by what combinations of recording settings you need at any given time, since it is much quicker to switch between modes and easier to keep track of them than to modify the rules inside a mode to adjust it to your immediate needs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

woolenegg wrote:

I have installed the base station and synced my 2 cameras and both are working and will show video. When I login and choose Mode, I only see the base station listed under "My Devices." Is this correct? It seems that it should show the base and both cameras. The base station right now is set to All Motion On. Both cameras will detect motion (I just walked past one and it recorded video and sent me an email), but I want to have each camera with its own Mode and Rules. 

This is correct. The device activations are configured inside the modes, actually the rules within the modes. If you had more base stations they'd appear on the left under your existing base station.

woolenegg
Tutor
Tutor

Schorschi wrote:

OK, thank you. 

So, at the moment I have one camera installed outside. I went ahead and created a Custom Mode for that camera (it records on motion, active all the time). Once we decide where to put the second camera, we will likely not want to have it active all the time. Do I create a second Mode for the second camera? Or do I create a new Rule within the existing Mode that only applies to the second camera?

Thanks,

Karen

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

woolenegg wrote:

Schorschi wrote:

Yes, you would create (at least) a second mode, however, not expressly because of your second camera. Only one mode can be active at any given time, so you create modes according to what combinations of cameras you want to be active at any given time. Additional configuration settings could even add to the number of modes you need.

For instance, with two cameras, you can have four possible combinations of on/off between your two cameras:

1. Camera A off, camera B off.
  2. Camera A off, camera B on.
  3. Camera A on, camera B off.
  4. Camera A on, camera B on.

You may not need all combinations, but this is the theoretical maximum. #1 is already covered by the default Disarmed mode. However, if you need modes 2 through 4, then you'll need to add two more custom modes to your current single custom one.

The number of modes can grow even more when you choose to have varying trigger and/or recording parameters at different times of day or for different purposes.

For instance, I have a camera that if triggered at a sensitivity setting of above 90 during the day, will create a lot of false postive motion events during the afternoon when the sun hits my backyard at a certain angle. I have to dial the sensitivity setting down for that camera during daytime hours in order to avoid the many false trigger events. So, because of that I had to create an additional mode that I suffixed with "(Night)". At night I activate that mode at which the camera is set to a sensitivity level of 93, during the day another mode has the camera set to a sensitivity of 80.

Likewise, there could be other scenarios in which you might change other parameters, for instance you might decide you wanted to record at varying lengths, like 30 seconds during the day and 90 seconds at night.

So, the number of modes you need is governed by what combinations of recording settings you need at any given time, since it is much quicker to switch between modes and easier to keep track of them than to modify the rules inside a mode to adjust it to your immediate needs.

woolenegg
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you - that is very helpful. 

Karen

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation