Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Winds affect the camera's motion detections?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
ant
Mentor
Mentor

Hello.

Today is a clear sunny day, but a little windy. The outdoor cameras are picking up movements. Is it because of trees' branches and leaves moving around? If so, then I thought the cameras sense motions based on heat. I don't want to lower the sensitivities to miss other things tiny animals, people, etc.

Thank you in advance. 🙂

5 REPLIES 5
ant
Mentor
Mentor

Also, today is warm. It is about 72F degrees right now if that matters.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

snip... Is it because of trees' branches and leaves moving around? If so, then I thought the cameras sense motions based on heat. I don't want to lower the sensitivities to miss other things tiny animals, people, etc.

The IR sensor does not pick up heat... it picks up IR or reflected IR off of objects.  So if the sun is shining and reflecting off of the objects moving in the wind, it can set off the motion detect.

There are many threads on here re adjusting for motion, put "motion" in the info bar above "search for answers"

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
ant
Mentor
Mentor

TomMac wrote:

snip... Is it because of trees' branches and leaves moving around? If so, then I thought the cameras sense motions based on heat. I don't want to lower the sensitivities to miss other things tiny animals, people, etc.

The IR sensor does not pick up heat... it picks up IR or reflected IR off of objects.  So if the sun is shining and reflecting off of the objects moving in the wind, it can set off the motion detect.

There are many threads on here re adjusting for motion, put "motion" in the info bar above "search for answers"

So, pointing a mounted camera at house's sides with reflective windows from a tree is a bad idea? No sun shining on them though. I also see some branches and leaves on the camera's corners. Maybe it would help to cut them off. FYI, this is in a rural area with lots of trees and plants.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Just lower the sensitivity.....

Morse is faster than texting!
ant
Mentor
Mentor

TomMac wrote:

Just lower the sensitivity.....

OK. I hope it won't miss anything important. We are going to try to trim the moving branches and leaves that we can see in the camera's view corners (1/fir)st.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation