Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
TKMTIRE
Follower
Follower

We have 3 cameras, and none of them will record unless we do it manually. I have all of them set to record on motion in Rules, and set to record on motion under Modes and still, none record. If I am watching the cameras live, the motion detection symbol is gray, but it is green when I am in Modes. We need to be able to play the videos back when we are not able to watch them live. 

92 REPLIES 92
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

lweaver2 wrote:
I have 3 cameras, and none of them will record unless I record manually. I have all of them set to record on motion in Rules, and set to record on motion under Modes and still, none record. If I am watching the cameras live, the motion detection symbol is gray, but it is green when I am in Modes. I need these cameras to record motion.

Sounds like you don't have the mode selected, either manually or by schedule.  In the Cameras tab, are the running men black or gray?  Gray indicates that the cameras are not set to record.  You can test this by using the Armed mode in the Mode tab which should cause all running men to be black (unless you've modified it).  Do the same thing by selecting your mode (green dot on the left of the mode in question) and verify the running men.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

lweaver2 wrote:
I have 3 cameras, and none of them will record unless I record manually. I have all of them set to record on motion in Rules, and set to record on motion under Modes and still, none record. If I am watching the cameras live, the motion detection symbol is gray, but it is green when I am in Modes. I need these cameras to record motion.

First, if you viewing live, your over-riding the motion detect mode so the "running man" will be grayed out ( not functioning )

Second, not sure what you using for the OS, but with the new software, the running man is no longer green during motion detect on but the new color is BLACK.( motion detect on )

Either way, check the sensitivity of the cameras, the default is 80% and it worked for me more in the high 80's to low 90s.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
chopliver
Aspirant
Aspirant
My 5 cameras won't record anymore. They hv been for 4 months sine I purchased them. I Posted question for help yesterday but can't find it.
I opened cameras that are unmounted to update firmware, still won't record any video. All cameras are working, they just don't record. I have unplugged dvr, pushed reset pin hole, still not recording. I need assistance Netgear Arlo Support. Pls respond.
chopliver
Aspirant
Aspirant
Please hold on my request that cams won't record. Rebooted DVR; seems at moment they can record motion but it isn't indicating the number of videos recorded. It stays at zero. I will comment later.
By the way, I have 2 cams that have blue & pink hues. These are diff cams than the one I reported earlier last month. The colors are intermitent. Will stay blue and other pink but changes back to normal at times. We have warmer weather past 2 days so can't be weather related.
I really like my cameras but they have periodic issues that are frustrating. Updating firmware by opening battery compartment is frustrating as 3 of 5 cams are mounted up high on house & garage.
I will report back on if cameras are recording. Ty.
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy
The video counters have been temporarily disabled by the Arlo developers. They are working on stabilizing the system before they are making the counters functional again.
Soddygurl
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same issue and I would like to know if your issue has been resolved and how it was resolved.

Thank you

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Soddygurl,

Could you describe more about the issue you are experiencing? We recently deployed a fix for the delay of content arriving in the library after a motion detection event occurs. Are you still seeing this behavior?

JamesC

Domokos
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am getting message on one camera put not the other. But nothing is added to my library!?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Domokos,

Is motion detection active on the affected camera? A quick way to check is to take a look at the running man icon on the cameras screen. Black will indicate motion detection is active, Gray will indicate that it is inactive.

Also consider checking the active mode to make sure it contains a rule that tells the affected camera to record on motion.

JamesC

Atownlion
Aspirant
Aspirant
my cameras.record during daytime but not at night?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Atownlion,

Are you using a schedule? Be sure your cameras are set to the Armed mode during the desired night time frames so that they will detect and record motion.

JamesC

Roadking97
Aspirant
Aspirant
I also can't get cameras to record or send alerts.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Roadking97,

Are your cameras Armed and push notifications for the desired cameras enabled?

Check the running man indicator on the cameras screen (black indicates the camera is armed, gray indicates unarmed)

JamesC

Roadking97
Aspirant
Aspirant

Very unreliable. Will record about 20% of the time. What's confusing is it may record someone driving up but not when they leave. If it's a position issue why will it record part of the time?

I have record time set for 30 seconds to save battery life. Just had someone drive up and start to get out of truck and quit recording. They we're there at least 3 minuits but by the time I got alerted they we're gone when I went to "live". Did't see who it was because it never recorded again till I arrived to check it out.

chopliver
Aspirant
Aspirant
Dear RoadKing97,
I have the same issues, my cameras miss so much activity. A car goes buy and beeps; neither of 2 cams pick it up & they're pointing opposite directions. 
Like you said can picks up car pulling in drive but doesn't record car leaving???
While on vacay Neighbor kids played in my yard for hours; cams recorded them one time. lightening storm knocked down my yard tree: no cams filmed it going dwn. 
I truly give up with these cams. I've tried everything. Moved their locations and nothing gets recorded properly.
Good luck Roadking97, hope you have better luck.

Chopliver

JEDroge
Aspirant
Aspirant
We have 7 cameras and they were all working with the motion detection but as of two weeks ago they all went offline, I took them all down and reconnected everything, reset the base station and they are still not recording with motion. All the cameras are set to record with motion in the rules. Is there something that happened recently that isn't allowing them to record? Please let me know when you can.
Thanks for your help!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Step #1 - are the running men for each camera in the Cameras tab gray or black?  Gray means they're disarmed and you need to check what mode is actually running, whether manually selected or through the schedule.

Arlonewland
Aspirant
Aspirant
Had anyone had success with consistent recording after motion detected?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes. Details. Have you checked the last few pages here for suggestions?

Bob2011
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have moved house an now my cameras will detect motion but wont record. These are no good to me with out the recordings. I have tried redoing rules changing profiles etc. Nothing works please help
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

remove all your rules and set your system to "ARMED" and see if you get the same results.....

scottarlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I can see my cameras when i hit the live button.  They are the HD little ones.

On the devices tab i can see both cameras and they have a a black man that turns orange when i move around in front of it but stil doesn't record.

First day with them and they do seem pretty simple to set up.  I have checked the rules and the camera that detects is the camera that records.

So I'm stuck??

Im a Mac user and the Mode tab has two rules for each of the two cameras they state if motion is detected then that camera records it.  But nothing ever comes up in the library tab.

help before I send them back to the shop.

Scott.

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

set your Mode to "ARMED" and see if you have the same behavior.  

JoeLibertarian
Aspirant
Aspirant

The camera will not record infrared through the windshield, but once started manually will record visible light.  To test, place the camera on the seat back and aim it out the side window.  Roll the window down and drive by and the camera should record.   Roll the window up, drive by again.  If it records the second time, the trigger is visible light, and if NOT, the trigger is infrared.  If both record, the angle of the windshield may still cause problems for the camera's triggering system out the front.  Just my thoughts.  Please reply with your test results!

RJBenjamin
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi there, i have 3 cameras attached to my system, but none of them records when there is a motion detected, can someone help?