Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Why won't my cameras record?

Discussion stats
TKMTIRE
Follower
Follower

We have 3 cameras, and none of them will record unless we do it manually. I have all of them set to record on motion in Rules, and set to record on motion under Modes and still, none record. If I am watching the cameras live, the motion detection symbol is gray, but it is green when I am in Modes. We need to be able to play the videos back when we are not able to watch them live. 

92 REPLIES 92
KristynM
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hello @TKMTIRE,

I've sent you a private message in order for me to collect information from you and create a case for you.

Once the informaiton has been collected, the case will be created and one of our support team members will reach out to you.

Regards,
KristynM
Arlo Support Team
DavidMartinsson
Initiate
Initiate

Hi,

I have the same problem. I have set my 2 cameras on 100% sensitivity but nothing happens??

When i did the setup test for motion, none of the cameras flashed no mather what sensitivity i chosed.

1 is mounted outdoors and 1 is in my garage.

Both of them are right know activated in motion "detection on mode" but nothing happens. 

What cam i do?

Thanks!

David(swe)

CandiceWilliam
Aspirant
Aspirant

We have 4 cameras, 3 are set up and working/recording fine. The 4th one we are trying to set up on the dashboard of a vehicle just a short distance from where with base is (well within the 300ft). When we put the camera on the dash we can stream the video live, but it wont record anything on its own. (motion is on on all 4 cameras) ...for example, if a car comes down the road, 2 of the street facing cameras pick up the motion and record the vehicle as it goes by, but the dashboard camera records nothing, it doesnt seem to sense the motion at all. What could be causing this? How can i fix this? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

CandiceWilliam wrote:

We have 4 cameras, 3 are set up and working/recording fine. The 4th one we are trying to set up on the dashboard of a vehicle just a short distance from where with base is (well within the 300ft). When we put the camera on the dash we can stream the video live, but it wont record anything on its own. (motion is on on all 4 cameras) ...for example, if a car comes down the road, 2 of the street facing cameras pick up the motion and record the vehicle as it goes by, but the dashboard camera records nothing, it doesnt seem to sense the motion at all. What could be causing this? How can i fix this? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

First thing is the 300 ft range is ' line of sight ' with no obstructions... objects in the way can shorten distance ( not yr case as you can live stream )

Second, as to the lack of record.... You camera is inside the car.  The sensor that detects the IR does not work through glass.  That's why the camera isb't getting any recordings.  You can live stream and manually turn on the recordings but thats it. In order to fix this, move the camera outside of the car.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
DavidMartinsson
Initiate
Initiate
Hi again,
As i dont got Any respond i try again. Number 1 of My 2 cameras that isnt working is mounted outside the house Wall and i can live stream. There is nothing in the way and no reflections. I have mounted it pretty hi up though. Like 3,5 meters up the house Wall facing the garage. Its now set on 95% sensetivity but nothing happens exept for when the sun comes out of the clouds. Then it reacts 😞

Is there any limits in how far from the camera position the IR reaches?
Maybe the camera is mounted to far from the action?

// David

MamaSkylight
Guide
Guide

I would like to know this answer as well.  My cameras are not picking up motion--even when directly in front of the camera and I have it @ 100%.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As i dont got Any respond i try again. Number 1 of My 2 cameras that isnt working is mounted outside the house Wall and i can live stream. There is nothing in the way and no reflections. I have mounted it pretty hi up though. Like 3,5 meters up the house Wall facing the garage. Its now set on 95% sensetivity but nothing happens exept for when the sun comes out of the clouds. Then it reacts 😞

Is there any limits in how far from the camera position the IR reaches?
Maybe the camera is mounted to far from the action?

read this info it may answer some questions...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/How-do-I-place-my-Arlo-camera/ta-p/37

As to a limit.. for practical uses like people, fiq like stated about 15-20 ft, BUT it will sense sunlight which is a high level of IR if the sun shines into the sensor and thats why it is recommended to aim downwards.

If you think the camera is bad, just try switching it with the one that works to see if its the camera or location

FYI, I don;t think its to high but if people are walking towards the camera instead of an angle ( of FOV) then the sensor to start record has a harder time to pick up.... Mine are just under 8ft.

MamaSkylight
Guide
Guide

Yesterday evening, I basically re-booted all the cameras and I think they did a software update and now motion activation is working.  Thank You Online Chat!!! 

Spoiler

Joanardy
Initiate
Initiate

I have the same issue. I have 4 cameras set up to record on 100% motion. Nothing happens... It would seem to me that paying this much money for the complete kit, it would work.

MamaSkylight
Guide
Guide
Take them all down and get them near the base unit. Open up the battery compartment for ten seconds and then close. This will update the software. Mine are working a little too good now and had to take the motion down to 80 in a couple of sectors. In modes....the little black check marks need to be clicked to turn them to green, too..
truman23
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just unboxed my two Cameras last night. They were working perfectly and at some point during the night they stopped recording motion. I have nothing in schedule.

The rules are set up correctly,because they were working.

When I click on the Camera's the motion Icon is greyed out (this was green last night).

I have rebooted the base station and the cameras as well.

I was so happy with this purchase unitl I woke up the AM. 

Can anyone help?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Are you saying that you have no schedules turned on (in Modes the schedule slider is off)? If so, did you select All Motion On? Try selecting motion off and then reselect on.

truman23
Aspirant
Aspirant

I must have clicked something I should not have. I recretsed my rules and it works so far. 

User error 🙂

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Or, as we enlisted men in my air squadron in the Navy used to say about the officer pilots, "A short between the headset."

😛

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

jguerdat wrote:

Or, as we enlisted men in my air squadron in the Navy used to say about the officer pilots, "A short between the headset."

😛

In computer world , its an ID10T error  🙂

as Ive gotten many of those awards.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

WAY OT, but I'm a retired sys admin. My favorite was "Users are lusers."

It was time for me to retire when I would walk around the office muttering, "I hate computers." Now that they're just a hobby, they're fine.

Tinawheeler1
Aspirant
Aspirant
Help! I set my system up last night and all was working great. Tonight I came home and tried to set some rules and schedules and messed the whole thing up and don't know how to fix it. I have tried to go delete any changes I made and think I've done that, yet my cameras will not record on motion. Any ideas?
MamaSkylight
Guide
Guide

Go to modes and make sure the all motion on is on for all the times.  That's one thing I had to do.

rscavuzzo
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am having the same problem and would appreciate help as well
mary
Initiate
Initiate

I just set up my first two cameras today and got a couple of short clips of motion (I tried backing up my car and it showed me getting out and walking away.  But a couple of hours later, I backed up and turned the car and waved at the camera (from about 10 feet away) and it didn't record a thing!  what am I doing wrong?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's hard to say for sure but it could be various things.  The sensitivity setting may need tweaking which can be very much an iterative process. The position of the camera relative to the motion to be detected could also be an issue - detection works best when across the field of view rather than head-on.  Additionally, ensure the base station and cameras have the latest firmware.  And it could be a hardware problem...

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

mary wrote:

I just set up my first two cameras today and got a couple of short clips of motion (I tried backing up my car and it showed me getting out and walking away.  But a couple of hours later, I backed up and turned the car and waved at the camera (from about 10 feet away) and it didn't record a thing!  what am I doing wrong?

Believe me I feel your pain..........

But you about to get VERY VERY VERY Mad......

DeannS
Arlo Employee Retired

Good afternoon Mary,

If ever you are experiencing an unexpected issue with your Arlo system, a good thing to keep in mind is to be sure that your system on the latest firmware. How can I trigger my Arlo system to update its firmware.

One of the potential reasons that may be contributing to this issue is if the camera is at or beyond the wireless range of the base station.

Can you confirm the signal strength of your affected camera? Take a look at the following article. How do I interpret my Arlo cameras signal strength.

If your signal strength happens to be at 2 bars or less, you may want to move the camera closer to the base station. 

Please let me know if this is of any help to you.

I look forward to your response.

Thanks,

Deann S

Arlo Team

Steve
Initiate
Initiate
There appears to be many people with the same problem and no answers. I installed my cameras both with full signal and all of 2m from the base. The first day they recorded fine. And since then nothing not a video recorded at all. Both cameras stream fine but waving your face in front of the camera and still nothing. Considering most netgear products are really reliable, this has been a real let down. Thankfully there is a 30 day dissatisfaction guarantee to get my money back. Really annoying netgear.