Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
TKMTIRE
Follower
Follower

We have 3 cameras, and none of them will record unless we do it manually. I have all of them set to record on motion in Rules, and set to record on motion under Modes and still, none record. If I am watching the cameras live, the motion detection symbol is gray, but it is green when I am in Modes. We need to be able to play the videos back when we are not able to watch them live. 

92 REPLIES 92
cathyd
Aspirant
Aspirant

HI,

I would like to know this answer as well.  My cameras are not picking up motion--even when I am directly in front of the camera and I have it at 100%

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

cathyd,

It sounds like motion detection may not be active for your cameras. Check to see if you have a green "running man" icon on the cameras screen for your cameras. If you do not please make sure there is an an active rule set for each camera to record on motion and that those rules are active under the mode that you have selected. Please let me know if you have any additional questions related to this!

Thank you!

JamesC

mhnatt
Luminary
Luminary

Hi,

I purchased my Arlo system (really love it except for this problem) a couple weeks ago and am finally trying to solve why one of my camera's does not record motion (little running man icon only on this one, is gray, not green).

Steps I have done:

1) Checked to make sure motion sensistivity was on.  Changed it just in case to 100% then back to default of 80%.

2) Replace the location of the problematic camera with a known working camera.  Problem is not location and exists even as I have moved the camera with me now by my desk.

3) Took batteries out of camera, waited (longer than 10 seconds, even a few minutes one time), replaced.  Did this even near the base station.

4) Resync'd the camera to the base station.

5) Deleted the rule that was setup by default (record on motion), then added it back in.  Then went to mode and toggled all motion off, then on, etc.

6) Power cycled base station.

7) Checked firmware:  Base Station (VMB3010r2): 1.4.2695, Camera (VMC3030): 1.2.2688

😎 Performed a motion detection test on camera, which resulted showing that indeed motion is detected as I moved the bar to 100% and could get the red LED to show when I moved.

Any help is so much appreciated.  Thank you!

PS - not only great product (except for this darn camera) but excellent website usability!

mhnatt

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

finally trying to solve why one of my camera's does not record motion (little running man icon only on this one, is gray, not green).

Good work checking most of the things out in the list...But there are really two things left.

First , the camera will never record on MOTION if the running man is GRAY. This means that for that camera, the motion is turn off. He must be GREEN to record motion.

So, go into the MODE ; ALL MOTION ON ( what ever yours is named for all cameras ) , verify that there is a GREEN check mark at the end of all the cameras , esp the one that doesn't record ( if it is black, toggle it green ).  HIT SAVE

**If you find it is already green, then make that camera black, hit save ,then edit it again to make it green and save ( makes sure the toggle is saved in the base).

95% of the time it's a mode problem, most should note that all modes are really the same info/cameras, it's just if the cameras are active or not.

If the above doesn't work, then maybe a full reset is in order to clear out crap mem storage in the base, Yes it's a pain and the cams will need to be resync'ed and you loose all new created rules/modes but it usu fixes the few problems that aren't cleared up by normal means.

good luck, let us know what happens

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
mhnatt
Luminary
Luminary

Thank you TomMac for the ultra fast response!  Bingo!   User error Smiley Tongue

So the origination of the problem was understanding that in the interface, the "Mode" button at the bottom, is different than "Modes" (notice the "s") on the sidebar.  I was tapping "Mode" at the bottom, then "All motion on" and wondering how your instructions made sense when I could not do anything but change the mode.  But rather, I needed to tap "Settings" at the bottom, and then "Modes" at the top left, then "All motion on".

Thank you very much and please know that you have made some light in my day 🙂  Hope this helps others.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

sorry...should have said settings/mode.

Just to remind, all MODES are the same, just what cameras are active or not ( and of course diff names for the MODE )

You can only have ONE MODE active at a time, the new one over rides the previous.

The RULES are what the cameras does, how long, email, etc.

Morse is faster than texting!
GhassanKamar
Aspirant
Aspirant

I faced similar issue. Since I installed my 4 cameras 3 days ago .. there is NO RECORDING of any footage except one camera (picked up my dog in the backyard for only one time !!). I tried all kinds of setups Modes, Rules etc... but nothing worked and I am going to return it back ... I thought I was paying right amount of money for the specification as they advertised .. but it's unfortunate it's not ... and again I have to look for new system now (surely different brand this time).. but I learned my lesson for not trusting any system unlike proven by someone else or a friend.

Ghassan

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

GhassanKamar,

Welcome to the community! It sounds like you may not have had the rules for motion detection active within the mode you had set for your cameras. Would you mind letting us know what setup you have for your modes and rules so we might identify the issue? Are you using a schedule? Please let us know!

JamesC

wyndyday
Aspirant
Aspirant

Taking the batteries out for about a minute helped on one of my troubled cameras.  The other one is yet to get fixed but hopefully taking the batteries out and then replacing will fix that one as well.  This is a real challenge and the settings are not easy to follow without doing a lot of study first. They need to be more intuitive.  Why two worked and the other two didn't is certainly weird as the settings were all identical.

jrod1210
Aspirant
Aspirant
We have 4 cameras and none record...
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Need details.  DO you have rules and modes set up?  How?  Can you activate a mode in the Mode tab and see the green running man/men in the Cameras tab?

jrod1210
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the modes set up, all motion on. I don't see the rules tab. All of the men are grey.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

jrod1210,

If all of the men are grey this means that the cameras are not set to record upon detecting motion. Check your active mode to ensure that there is an active rule for each camera that tells it to record when motion is detected. For more information take a look at this article: My Arlo camera is not detecting motion

JamesC

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Rules and Modes are set up in Settings. Make sure your modes have green check marks for the desired cameras. Once you select an active mode in the Mode tab you should see the green running man for the cameras.

jrod1210
Aspirant
Aspirant
Don't see rules. I have camera order, help and about.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Is the system ready for viewing when you log in?  When you first log in all cameras should indicate ready before everything will show up in Settings.

AJDhillon
Initiate
Initiate
I just put up mine today, I am reading all issues, if it does not work as expected, I am going to simply return. Sure installation is easy but thatz only one time thing, netgear can't sell only on base of easy installation. I will try for couple weeks and see.
EAH
Aspirant
Aspirant
Mine are doing the exact same thing. What can I do?
dmiller-68
Aspirant
Aspirant

i have a camera that does everything but record.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Ya gotta give us more details.  WHile it could be hardware, do you have modes/rules set up for it to record?  When you look at the camera view is the running/walking/vibrating man appear black or gray?  If the latter, recording is not configured.

Tonyarenee
Aspirant
Aspirant

I need help too. I set it all up. It synced and my app has all the info but I get nothing to see

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

Tonyarenee wrote:

I need help too. I set it all up. It synced and my app has all the info but I get nothing to see

see @jguerdat post above ?  its a good starting point?  set your Camera Mode to "ARMED" and see if it records.

elev6969
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi please help mine does the same thing I have my camera sitting right next to Homebase I get no recording from either one help. Elev6969@gmail.com
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

elev6969,

Have you checked your modes to make sure that the cameras are set to a mode that tells them to record when motion is detected?

Take a look at this article for more information on modes/rules: What are Rules & how do I create them?

JamesC

lweaver2
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have 3 cameras, and none of them will record unless I record manually. I have all of them set to record on motion in Rules, and set to record on motion under Modes and still, none record. If I am watching the cameras live, the motion detection symbol is gray, but it is green when I am in Modes. I need these cameras to record motion.