Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Toastmanpete
Tutor
Tutor

Hi

My motion detection and recording is working fine but, why does it stop recording on motion just because i am looking at the live feed. I still want the motion recorded. can I set this up or is this a netgear issue?

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

No, it is a design issue that's all....

When you go LIVE VIEW, your over-riding the motion-detect mode. 

But, If wanted, you can always start a manual recording by clicking on the 'target' icon.

When done and turn off live view the motion-detect automatically comes back on.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

No, it is a design issue that's all....

When you go LIVE VIEW, your over-riding the motion-detect mode. 

But, If wanted, you can always start a manual recording by clicking on the 'target' icon.

When done and turn off live view the motion-detect automatically comes back on.

Morse is faster than texting!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Toastmanpete,

This is intended by design. Any recording during a live stream session can be done by clicking the record button as suggested above.

JamesC

NowakerTmp
Star
Star

@JamesC I'm away from home. Motion is detected and everything is being recorded. I don't know yet what's going, and since it's the FIRST 120 seconds clip that's being recorded, I don't yet see it in my library, so I click live view. At this point, whatever was being recorded is interrupted. There's a delay before the stream shows up in my browser. Then there's a delay before I click record. Many seconds of footage won't be captured because of that. And what if my stream doesn't show up? Sometimes I click play but then get an error, repeat, and then it works. Even more seconds of lost footage. This behavior is flawed and far from what one would expect from a security system.

What's more - would a reasonable person expect the recording would immediately stop the moment one enters live preview? Why would recording stop at this moment? Live view is live view, recording is recording. This behavior is not only flawed but also unexpected. The web/app UI should at least warn the user that proceeding with live view will interrupt the recording.

BLV
Initiate
Initiate

People may want to turn on live view while at home and doing work or chores for peace of mind but not necessarily focus on it all time. So it will compromise security and put user in danger not knowing now security system detection and recording has been cut off. Intuitively, user will think arlo is still detecting motion, and save clip as usual, and I doubt if any customer prefer to stop recording/detecting motion while watching live. Except if this causes arlo resource or trouble too much.

Thanks.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation