Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 25 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation
EyeInTheSky
Star
Star

I'm getting this "We're sorry, Arlo is currently unavailable, please try again later." message when I try to log into the Arlo portal via a web browser on my computer.  The Arlo app is also doing the same thing.  This website should NEVER be unavailable.  I didn't spend 99.00 on this subscription only to find that I cannot access my security system because Netgear can't keep their system running with 24/7/365 uptime.  This is unacceptable in my opinion.  Before you guys start down the road of "check your Internet connection", note that my Internet access is working just fine.  I can pull up other websites without a hitch.  This problem needs to be fixed ASAP.  This security system is useless if you can't access it remotely.

25 REPLIES 25
DarkenW
Tutor
Tutor

We had the same error earlier and the app now seems to be stuck in a 'getting information' state.

What's more worrying to me is that we've had motion alerts from the app this afternoon (us going in & out of the door), but no email alerts and there's no new recordings saved.

That raises the question as to whether the videos have actually been captured but just aren't showing in the app yet, or whether they've simply been 'lost'.

I like the idea of cloud storage, but you have to be confident that the data will actually get there. I'm assuming that the base unit doesn't have any temporary storage capability, so if there's a problem in transmission is it lost ?  If so I may need to re-evaluate the system, as that seems like a huge oversight and potentially not fit for purpose.

ChristineT
Arlo Employee Retired

Hello EyeInTheSky and DarkenW,

We released an update today and encountered an unforeseen outage that likely contributed to the issue(s) you were experiencing. We believe these issues have been resolved and all systems have been fully restored. Can you confirm if the problems you witnessed still persist or do they seem to be resolved at this time?

I look forward to your update and will work to address any remaining issues promptly.

Thank you for your contributions to the Arlo Community! 

Christine

____
Please click KUDOS or REPLY if you found this helpful.
Robertwalsh1981
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am still experiencing this problem. (1/4/15 6:11am PST)

Also, I cannot get to the www.arlo.netgear.com site to check on my system.

DarkenW
Tutor
Tutor

Sorry, only just seen your reply.

Yes, all seems to be working now, thanks

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Robertwalsh1981 wrote:

I am still experiencing this problem. (1/4/15 6:11am PST)

Also, I cannot get to the www.arlo.netgear.com site to check on my system.

Just tried it myself. Worked fine earlier today but not at the moment. Oops! Just popped back up.

EyeInTheSky
Star
Star

For me, I think this outage may have been due to the changes that Netgear was making to the web portal and app.  That doesn't make it ok by any means. An advance heads up to your customers would have been the proper way to do a rollout.  I would have been fired for doing an unannounced rollout like that.  Not cool.

bmgoodman
Apprentice
Apprentice

I've owned this since 12/21/15 and I had this message once or twice since then.  I've also had one or two similar messages this week.  I'm a bit nervous about keeping something that is already NOT trouble-free in the first 3 weeks of use.  I don't imagine it will get better with age.

Seraph787
Aspirant
Aspirant
A year later and it's still doing this.... I'm new to Arlo and I have been considering getting an Arlo subscription but during my free trial fit the last week, I get this error 3-5 times per day.

This is not the quality I would expect from a big name brand like Netgear. Much worse, this kind of quality is most definitely unacceptable for a security related tech ecosystem.
EyeInTheSky
Star
Star

Well, here's the deal; I've had this system for about a year now. The "unavailable" messages have pretty much disappeared, other than when my wireless is down or the power is out. Oh, and of course if Netgear's IT staff is pulling overtime and updating their services for us. That said, there's a few other idiosyncrasies with this system that still leave me with the opinion that there's more to be desired. First, I want to comment on this last Arlo "video contest" that the Netgear folks had. So, Netgear staff, take note here. Arlo was designed, primarily to be a security system first and foremost, correct? I hope so. I invested over $600.00 for this thing. So why on earth would a cat video win the video contest? If I were one of the judges, I would want to see a video of some scumbag breaking into a house. The Arlo motion detection caught him in the act. The backstory would be that the video was given to the police and they caught the guy and he's now in jail. I don't know. I think that would sell more security camera systems than a cat video. Just my humble opinion. Or maybe most of your users want to watch their pet while the scumbags are breaking into their house?

Now that I got that off my chest, here's the idiosyncrasies that still piss me off. These aren't in order of most frustrating to least frustrating either:

1. Status of last screenshot on a camera shows that it was 300+ plus days ago. This number varies depending on what kind of mood the system is in. The strange thing is that it's not always that way. Most of the time the number of days or hours is correct.

2. Status of battery level does not always show up, either in the phone app or the web portal.

3. The Mode (schedule) option does not always show up, either in the phone app or the web portal. I have to log out and back in sometimes in order for it to appear.

4. The motion detection still leaves a lot to be desired. These cams are best when they pick up motion using its "peripheral vision". In other words, motion coming from the sides but not when motion is occuring directly in front of it. "They" say that this is by design for the most part, so I guess make sure your intruders encroach on your property from the side. Put a sign in your yard informing them of this, I guess. The ironic thing is that, before I got these cams dialed in, they would pick up cars on the street and they were coming towards the cams in a more direct manner. Also there's a distance limitation with these cameras, in regards to how far away they pick up motion. I forgot what the maximum distance is but I can tell you for certain that the cars that the cams were picking up were way farther than the maximum distance. So why is this? Does Arlo Pro correct these problems? Of course it does, right? Improvements over what was bad code in the technology to begin with. Get the consumer to dole out more cash for Arlo Two and sell Arlo One on eBay, right? That's about as cool as your cat video contest winner. Not cool, Netgear. Not cool.

5. When I change a mode for the cameras, and this is primarily on my phone app, the small green banner at the bottom will sometimes stay there forever with the "Setting Mode" message. However, if I close out of the app and go back into it, I've discovered that the mode was updated but for some reason the app gets hung on this message sometimes.

6. And this last one is basically pre-loaded responses to: "Are you using the lastest version of our app?", "Did you reboot your computer?", "Did you reboot your phone?", "Did you reboot your wireless access point?", "Did you reboot the Arlo bridge?", "Did you resync the connections on all of your cameras?". Yes to all.

1Regaloaks
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am trying to set my arlo back up, I am getting this message today that says we're sorry arlo is currently unavailable please check back later....what is the issue? Am I doing something wrong or is your system down?
1Regaloaks
Aspirant
Aspirant

1Regaloaks
Aspirant
Aspirant
Help. I am trying to set this up...I am getting this same error message Is this an issue on arlos end?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Still happening?  Have you tried both the app and a browser?

selinab
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am attempting to set up an account and both the computer and the app will not work as the above response is all I can get or if it appears to be letting me go a little further and enter my user name and password it says they are incorrect?????

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Contact support using the Contact Support link at the bottom here.

1Regaloaks
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes. Can someone call me? I am stuck and cannot work thruthis
Blanali
Aspirant
Aspirant

DOES NOT WORK - AVOID AT ALL COSTS

Spent $800 for the 6 camera system with replacement warranty. Tried setting up through Android phone.

Result: "We're sorry, Arlo is currently unavailable, please try again later."

Tried on computer with Firefox:

Safari:

Chrome (at the insistance of the tech support):

Tech support did the usual "reboot everything, unplug, plug in, reset (base station, modem, etc)"

Utter and complete crap. Going back in the box and getting my money back.
rogerrabt
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just had the same issue.  Turned off the base station with the black button on the back and waited a minute, turned it back on and waited for the 2 lights to turn green.  No problems registering after that.  It just wanted attention I guess.

surfrider413
Aspirant
Aspirant

I unplugged the router and the Base Station for 2 min. Plugged everything again and all works perfect. 

surfrider413
Aspirant
Aspirant

Try unplug the router and the Base Station for 2 min and then Plugged everything again. Good luck !

Arlo1955
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just got the 4 camera system and I can't even register my system. As soon as I agree with the conditions I get this message. Please help. Did I waste my money?

surfrider413
Aspirant
Aspirant
Try unplug the router and the Base Station for 2 min and then Plugged everything again. Good luck !
Blanali
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did the unplug everything, wait 2 minutes and plug it back in thing-  twice - at the behest of the flummexed tech support person. Didn't fix it, unfortunately.

Tech support said they would escalate the ticket and call back within 24 hours. Told them if I didn't hear from them with a soluton in 24 hours, it goes back. I don't need an $800 set of paper wieghts. Spent a month researching systems. Incredibly disappointing.

rogerrabt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Here's what I did tonight with a refurbished Arlo 5 cam I got today:

* plugged it in to the router & power
* lights came on and it connected  (left 2 lights are green)
* could not get it to register "arlo is currently unavailable"  (screaming & throwing things)
* created an account on here and got that part working first.
* turned it off with the black button on the back and waited a minute or so, and turned it back on.  I didn't unplug it from the ethernet cable to the router.  Didn't unplug the power.
* finally was able to register after trying both from my phone and PC.

After all that, the next challenge was to get the firmware to update.  Multiple reboots finally got that the base go to 1.8.1.1_10234.  Once that happened the cameras updated to 1.2.10342.  Once all that worked, Arlo works well.  Records on motion and everything.  Only found one "bug" since then with a misformatted message.