Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 13 In Conversation
dday408
Guide
Guide
I just installed the app update and it seems that I am experiencing longer delay when switching modes. At times Arlo app seems to be non-responsive even when I have excellent network connection. What's going on?
19 REPLIES 19
ElaineM
Arlo Employee
Arlo Employee

Hi @dday408,

Sounds like you're running into some difficulties using the latest version of the app. May I know what device are you using? For IOS, I don't see any problems using the app. I have the latest app installed and so far it's running as it should. I would suggest to start all over from scratch where you turn off/on your device then reinstall the app. You may want to consider using another device to install the Arlo app for isolation purposes. Also, make sure you're getting decent internet access.

Will look forward to your response.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
bmherold
Guide
Guide

I have the same issue...

FW Version

HW Version
VMB3010r2

Is there a current release schedule, or ability to help contribute? Would be glad to help fix some of these issues.
Showguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I have the same issue. It takes several tries to get the cameras to stream.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you checked your transfer speeds? ... I have seen a few problems like this from slow wifi access ( I mean the transfer rate of your wifi to the unit if mobile and/or the data speed to your pc thru the router. )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
dday408
Guide
Guide

Not to attack you but I have noticed that you like to post for the post sake.  The subject says ".... after the app update".  Apparently you chose to read whatever is in your head without listing to others and want to pose as a smart guru.  Again the original post clearly says the app is slow to initiate the "mode" screen after the update.  Now I beg you to come up with a smarter answer.

bmherold
Guide
Guide

Camera shows full connectivity, base station is wired directly to a 6th generation airport extreme (802.11a/b/g/n/ac, and gigabit wired), and phone/tablet/laptop are line of sight. Not sure what more you could ask for. The connection delay persists no matter the method of accessing the camera -> through iphone app, ipad app, or on a laptop on local network or even from work externally.

For comparison, at home I'm running a PLEX server that can easily stream 1080P HD video over the network with no issue; so I find it hard to believe connecting to a camera & streaming a 720P (at best) camera stream would hit any possible bottlenecks. As for internet access, I'm on an 80Mbps connection, so if the stream is originating from the arlo servers, and not streaming from the camera directly on the local network, then all signs point to a bandwidth or architecture issue on their end. Aside from networking/bandwidth issues, the application (web and ios both) may be doing some wonky timeout and retry attempts that could be written more elegantly. I'm guessing its a combination of bugs on the app side, and issues on the server side that are the culprit. 

Anyone on the inside care to respond? This isn't a dire issue, but it's definitely an annoyance. Thanks!

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

dday408 wrote:
I just installed the app update and it seems that I am experiencing longer delay when switching modes. At times Arlo app seems to be non-responsive even when I have excellent network connection. What's going on?

First of all, it would help if you mentioned the OS your talking about to help get a clear answer... and yes I did read the OP.

Is it Android or IOS?

Second, I'm running both IOS and Android in the latest versions and have not seen any slow downs that you mention

Third, with the above apps as mentioned, the times I have seen slow downs have been with limited data speeds as i mentioned previously. ( or slow devices ).

You ask for help and then shun the ones attemping to give you one, not cool. If you don't like the help here given, put a trouble ticket directly in to Netgear for a solution.

armoredsaint
Apprentice
Apprentice

same problem here on iOS, up to date on everything.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

armoredsaint wrote:

same problem here on iOS, up to date on everything.

If anything , since many say access speed is fine, would be more related to the latest FW updates in the base and/or cam ( or both ) than the app.

The latest versions of FW are cam - 1.2.2688 /  base - 1.4.2695 ( both full release on 7/9 )

If that is the case then there's no solution until a newer version is released.

I can say I don't have the problem, But I have seen the "static" screen fail to update a few times after a quick live stream viewing.

also maybe its a more server related problem on the far side ( as mentioned by bmherold )

Dee_Iowa
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ditto.  Just switched to Arlo after having VueZone.  The mobile app hangs up.  Slow loading of the recorded clips.  Don't know about my connections and don't know how to find out.  Just un-installed and re-installed the app.  Don't see an improvement.   Wish I had kept my VueZone.

dday408
Guide
Guide

After using Arlo for a few months, I realized the handicaps of the camera.  I participated in a crowd-funding event in July 2014 and Kuna has absolutely come to the save!  Check out www.getkuna.com.  You'll LOVE this security camera for sure!  

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

dday408 wrote:

After using Arlo for a few months, I realized the handicaps of the camera.  I participated in a crowd-funding event in July 2014 and Kuna has absolutely come to the save!    You'll LOVE this security camera for sure!  

I really don't have complaints with Arlo, tho there are thing I would like added....

But Kuna is just another cloud based record wifi cam...but I did notice they charge $5 for 7 days storage,.. which Arlo gives for free. ( or $10 for 14 days and max of 4 cameras where Arlo is 30 days and 10 cameras )

Kiddiecars
Aspirant
Aspirant
I recently purchased and installed the system. Yesterday and today, the video is grayscale (does record). Streaming service said to be down. What's the update on getting everything up and running???
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I recently purchased and installed the system. Yesterday and today, the video is grayscale (does record). Streaming service said to be down. What's the update on getting everything up and running???

First, the camera switches to B/W if light levels are low for color and turns on the Ir illuminators. Try in bright lit area or day.

As to streamind being down, lately many have had problems with browsers, try and log in with a different browser.

I have no problem with FireFox but did with Explorer.

Jonny50
Aspirant
Aspirant
Been using Arlo for months and loving it. Just started hanging up at getting status today. Ios9.2
Tri d deleting and reinstalling app
Chepac
Aspirant
Aspirant
My arlo q won't connect after the latest app update. Obviously a software problem, netgear can you get round to fixing this asap!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You'll hafta give us more details than that. Which app?  What device and OS? Does the browser work properly?  Have you tried reinstalling the app?

gunkan
Aspirant
Aspirant
same here on android 6 ( samsung s6 edge ) and ios 9 ( iphone 6s ) and pc and mac... i have a 200mb bandwidth, and i am very disappointed with netgear product, since arlo is not a cheap ip camera, but it is always very slow to start up, and live stream delay for about 10 second, this is not acceptable. i am quite sure arlo server cause the problem, every settings i did on this camera, it take 10seconds (delay) to activate, wtf... why i cannot connect to my camera directly but through a slow, unusable arlo server?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

gunkan,

Arlo Wire-Free cameras are cloud based by design. To live stream, the camera must connect to the cloud to initiate the stream. This can result in a slight delay when initiating a live stream.

JamesC